Why didn't Varys just kill Tommen?

BaseBornBastard

With Tommen dead it's possible that the Tyrells might just bail out of KL altogether and focus on defending the Reach from Euron. This may reduce the level of chaos in KL (removing one of the most powerful factions from the field and reducing the opportunities for conflict).

You raise a good point but I don't think that Varys wanted to completely wipe the Lannisters out right then and there. He wanted as much confusion and chaos as possible. He could always have Tommen killed later if that turns out to be necessary.

Yep. He needs the Reach to need Aegon, not the Tyrells. He wants them locked up for the time being. Tommen can be disposed of quickly if need be, but Kevan was pretty damn essential to kill then.

Varys could be poisoning him (and consequently Boros Blount too) slowly, in small doses, already:

And I also think Darkstar's blade was poisoned and Myrcella is in a similar situation. Ideally for Varys, Myrcella should die first, because if Tommen dies first then the Dornish can crown her or the same alliance could even regroup around her, ruining Aegon's plans

(P.S. :bawl: )

Great point on not killing Tommen then. If he dies before Myrcella, then Varys' plan is screwed.

I had completely forgotten about the part about Blount being Tommen's official food taster. The bit about the changes in both of their physical description is beyond literary coincidence; IMO Tommen is already being poisoned. Varys probably needs him out of the way, but in a matter of time that works with his accelerated plan for Aegon.

I'm sure Tommen will be found dead the next time we see him in TWOW.

I dead 8 year old boy-king would be a rallying cry for the small folk. Tommen and Margaery are both young and beloved. Killing Tommen would only create sympathy for Cersei. She lost her husband, her father and her first born child at his wedding not to mention she had just humbled herself before the whole city. People love an underdog and seen in that light, Cersei is hopeless and pitiable.

Eh, they cut out the tongues from those little birds... :(

And possibly kill them when they get too old to be of use. (Too old being right around puberty, I'd guess).

Varys wants Cersei in power because of her incompetence, without Tommen it's a lot harder to keep her around to create havoc. Plus Tommen does what he's told, Myrcella is smarter and more likely to stand up to her mother.

There's probably always Kingsguard with Tommen. And after Cersei's paranoia, it would take Tom Cruise to kill Tommen.

Anyway, there's no point in killing Tommen. He doesen't rule - Varys killed Kevan because of Kevan tried to rule the chaos and get things going. Tommen ties Tyrells to the situation in KL, which probably will be end for Tyrells.

I have to disagree. There is plenty to be gained by killing Tommen. One of the lessons of ASOIAF is that power is not always exercised in the official capacities it is dressed up in. This is true, but that does not mean that those official vessels of power are not extremely important. Killing Tommen would drastically change the dynamics in Westeros. The Lannister-Tyrell alliance would suddenly be in much deeper trouble. The new monarch would be in the hands of a potential enemy. The trappings of power are often as important as the true sources of raw power because the way power is perceived as legitimate is a power in and of itself.

If I had to guess why Varys has not killed Tommen (assuming that it is not just that he hasn't had an opportunity, which is very possible), I would say it is timing. He might think that such an action would bring too much chaos too soon. He likely would not be able to predict what might happen subsequently. The Tyrells might leave King's Landing. The Martells might decide to honor Trystane and Myrcella's marriage pact so they can invade King's Landing and install Myrcella on the Iron Throne as a Dornish puppet queen, with no regard for Aegon or Daenerys. Pushing events so far might lead to sober heads to take stock of all the trouble that is heading towards Westeros and for effective measures to be taken in response. I think that Varys thinks that he can control what is happening in KL as long as the regime is weakened but circumstances are not radically altered.

Because if you kill Tommen "Baratheon" then by law the IT would pass to...Stannis. (Sorry, Myrcella. Shouldn't have had those ladyparts!)

Obviously Stannis is already in a legally sound position to claim the IT because Twincest. But with Joffrey dead and people not really contesting Tommen's parentage, the bastardy angle is a nonstarter. Kill Tommen and the last excuses die with him. Stannis is next in line and there's nothing you can do about it.

Margarey can't be re-re-re-rebartered by the Tyrells since, y'know...Stannis probably doesn't support either polygamy or same-sex marriage. (Sorry, Shireen. Shouldn't have had those ladyparts!) So the Tyrells pull out, Cersei has no Lannister military leadership in KL, the Riverlands are back in the Royal Fold of House Baratheon and Stannis is clear to come on down whenevs...which he will once he finishes retaking Winterfell. (No big deal.)

To Varys, this is all unacceptable. He's not a chaos player...that's LF. He just needed to set up a fuckton of infighting in service to a weakened crown. Distraction has been a big key to his success so far. That, and hiding in plain sight. But Stannis Baratheon Doesn't Fuck Around. Giving him an uncontested route to claim the throne would recentralize the crown's authority, herald an end to distractions like whatever weird shit the F7 is up to and bring Melisandre/Magic into the capitol. I can't think of many things that might freak out The Spider...but I think King Stannis Baratheon I has always been one of them.

Archived