Signs and Portens

The Iron Banker

Do you think we will hear more about the said to be lost book Signs and Portens.

It is supposed to contain the prophecies which drove the Targaryens to leave Varyria and settle on Dragonstone.

Maester Marwyn claims to have found three pages and used them in his book Book of Lost Books, but we dont know the contents.

This is probably something for TWoIaF or GRRMarillion, or could be see it in one of the books? Sam perhaps?

Like to hear your opinions.

By the time of the War of the Five Kings, it is believed visions written down by the maiden daughter of Aenar Targaryen before the Doom came to Valyria were in a book called Signs and Portents, that is now lost. Archmaester Marwyn claimed he found three pages from it in his Book of Lost Books.

I hope that the book will mentioned in the following novels.

Rodrik Harlaw mentioned the book as well.

I wouldn't be suprised if the song of ice and fire is a phrase that originated in Signs and Portents.

Yeah when Asha walks in on Rodrik he is reading the Book of Lost Books, which includes 3 pages of the Signs and portens

Since the book is lost and Marwyn claims that he has found three pages, I think that it is very likely that Signs and Portents contains information pertaining to

the Song of Ice and Fire that Rhaegar mentioned.

It should be noted that neither Dany nor Jorah had heard of the song before.

Barristan revealed that Rhaegar was a bookworm until one day he discovered something that changed him.

I was working on one but it's just the bits that are mentioned in the books, hopefully if we ever do get one it will be after all is said and done(and more importantly published) As for it appearing in the books it seems a stretch that someone would find one if not even an Archmaester could find one, maybe it will make an appearance somewhere in the Dunk and Egg tales since that predates Rhaegar maybe there is still a copy in the Targaryen library at that time.

I'm positive that we will learn more about this book, especially the three pages that Marwyn found. They'll be revealed when Marwyn reaches Dany. I think a lot more of the prophecies will be revealed then.

You think there are more prophecies? I dont think we will get more if GRRM wants to finish in 2 books

I read what bent branch wrote as more of the prophecies we currently know about.

I would take a lot of filling pages to explain the new prophecies, what happen or what might happen

I think it will just be clarifying the "dragon must have three heads" and "his is the song of ice and fire" stuff we have been hearing throughout the series but haven't been told what it actually means.

We will only get the three pages because GRRM likes prophecy to be misinterpreted so you know the important part is on one of the missing pages. There may be people who have some of the other info though. Maybe Roose from that book he burned in Harrenhall.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prophecy had to be pieced together from different sources like Tyrion started doing with his dragon lore book.

Although this was the ending of another famous novel.

Archived