Stannis and the "Abominations born of incest"

Maester Pedant

Stannis is pragmatic. After BoB he would have executed Joffrey but he would let Cercei as hostage (Myrcella and Tommen were away - i keep forgetting Tommen was away because of the show) in order to force Tywin to accept peace. If Ned's coup had succeded though i really don't know. There is always the balance between the houses to consider he would need them in any case to give up their claims.

About Edric, he did not burn him so it makes no sense to assume he would.

The Wall is not a handy get-out for questions like this.

YES! Thank you. People seem to think that inconvenient boys can just be sent to the Wall, and the Night's Watch will hold them there until they mature and then force them to take vows. Not how it works

I am a Stannis fan, but I'm not going to pretend that mercy is one of his virtues

This "merciless" trait isnt the flaw its made out to be, he's merciless with the guilty, bye bye Cersie, but he's not Ming. With the right person whispering in his ear, and the fact that the children were well out of his reach, his best approach would still be to disinheret the kids and focus on destroying the Lannister power base. If Davos advises mercy and the Florents advise death, precedent says the Onion wins the day.

I think Davos may have a chance of convincing him. Stannis may want to execute the kids but I'm not sure he's hell-bent on it. He says that line (about scouring the court) in the aftermath of Blackwater defeat, and he was angry and frustrated.

Jaime talks about leaving Brienne to her fate constantly, but doesn't. Words are wind. Actions count, and Davos Seaworth still breathes. To say either way is open for scrutiny.

Renly and Edric are hardly precedent either, one was a traitor who's actions condemned him, the other would've been a step too far, but Mel is getting flayed if she gets it wrong, and its easy to judge when the fate of the world doesnt rest on your shoulders (supposedly).

The BoB Stan would have killed them. He was not a man of mercy. And they were guilty just by being alive. Heck, the BoB Stan still wanted to punish the Tyrells and the Redwynes for the siege of Storm's End during Robert's Rebellion. The BoB Stan was not exactly kingly. The DwD Stan is much more political ihn his thinking. He would have kept them as hostages against Tywin.

If Stannis took the throne in Blackwater fashion, he wouldn't be very well disposed towards granting Mel's requests. For one, burning was a means to an end, remember, and if he had the throne he wouldn't feel desperate enough to consider it (even at his most desperate, he is torn over the question of whether burning Edric is acceptable; if he wasn't in a desperate position at all, but the victor, and owing nothing to Mel, then he wouldn't burn anyone).

This isn't to say he wouldn't execute anyone. I think he'd certainly execute Joffrey and Cersei, for the usurption and murder of dutiful Ned Stark. He wouldn't burn them, though.

The BoB Stan would have killed them. He was not a man of mercy. And they were guilty just by being alive. Heck, the BoB Stan still wanted to punish the Tyrells and the Redwynes for the siege of Storm's End during Robert's Rebellion.

Did he? I remember Littlefinger saying something like that ro Ned, but I just assumed it was because the last thing Littlefinger wanted was Stannis in power.

Did he? I remember Littlefinger saying something like that ro Ned, but I just assumed it was because the last thing Littlefinger wanted was Stannis in power.

Seems to me he would officially pardon those who did their duty to the crown (while nursing a grievance against lords Tyrell and Redwynne for the hell they put him through, as only Stannis can nurse a grievance).

Littlefinger should never be taken as a reliable source. Never ever ever, on any subject.

Stannis is pragmatic. After BoB he would have executed Joffrey but he would let Cercei as hostage (Myrcella and Tommen were away - i keep forgetting Tommen was away because of the show) in order to force Tywin to accept peace. If Ned's coup had succeded though i really don't know. There is always the balance between the houses to consider he would need them in any case to give up their claims.

About Edric, he did not burn him so it makes no sense to assume he would.

:lmao: :lmao: you think he'd spare CERSEI? :lmao: :lmao:

No, she dies. Myrcella and Tommen would serve as hostages for Tywin, if he doesn't call for Tywin's head. Tywin is just as guilty of treason, no way Stannis just makes nice with him.

:lmao: :lmao: you think he'd spare CERSEI? :lmao: :lmao:

No, she dies. Myrcella and Tommen would serve as hostages for Tywin, if he doesn't call for Tywin's head. Tywin is just as guilty of treason, no way Stannis just makes nice with him.

Stannis isn't the kind of guy who'd spare somebody he wants dead just to serve as a hostage. All of the children would die

Stannis isn't the kind of guy who'd spare somebody he wants dead just to serve as a hostage. All of the children would die

Oh, I agree. My point was that if, big IF, he's going to spare one as a hostage, Cersei would be LAST on the list!

I'm not even sure how valuable they would be as hostages. I doubt Tywin would stop fighting just because Stannis held his daughter and grandchildren. Tywin would probably just assume that he would never get them back, even if he submitted, which is a reasonable assumption. Stannis would never release them, since they would immediately be used as political pawns. And for as long as they lived, there would always be the risk of them being rescued somehow.

He might as well just kill the children and effectively and forever remove the threat.

I'm not even sure how valuable they would be as hostages. I doubt Tywin would stop fighting just because Stannis held his daughter and grandchildren. Tywin would probably just assume that he would never get them back, even if he submitted, which is a reasonable assumption. Stannis would never release them, since they would immediately be used as political pawns. And for as long as they lived, there would always be the risk of them being rescued somehow.

He might as well just kill the children and effectively and forever remove the threat.

I agree. The war between Stannis and the Lannisters was zero-sum and total. There'd be no negotiating or bending the knee on either side

Actually, she would be the FIRST on the list. She has no claim to the throne and she's a Lannister.

But he's not thinking in those strategic terms. He's bringing cold hard justice baby, which means Cersei is as good as dead. Sparing the woman who cuckolded the King and foisted abominations on the realm?? Be real.

But he's not thinking in those strategic terms. He's bringing cold hard justice baby, which means Cersei is as good as dead. Sparing the woman who cuckolded the King and foisted abominations on the realm?? Be real.

Fair enough. I was thinking as myself, not as Stannis.

In any case, he would kill the children. We must not forget that he would be duty bound to do his best to secure his reign not only for himself, but also for his successor, who is a sickly little girl. Tommen and Myrcella might not be a serious threat now, against the mighty Stannis, but they might cause lots of problems years later, with Shireen on the throne.

Actually, she would be the FIRST on the list. She has no claim to the throne and she's a Lannister.

But in his eyes she's a double treasonous whore (1st-having bastards past off as true born, 2- not bending knee to him), also, I'm pretty sure he just plain hates her. She dies. End of story. Myrcella would be the one most likely kept as hostages IMO. A girl is less of a threat than a boy, and he could eventually marry her to one of Davos's sons to keep her in line.

But in his eyes she's a double treasonous whore (1st-having bastards past off as true born, 2- not bending knee to him), also, I'm pretty sure he just plain hates her. She dies. End of story. Myrcella would be the one most likely kept as hostages IMO. A girl is less of a threat than a boy, and he could eventually marry her to one of Davos's sons to keep her in line.

Surely Stannis would not marry one of good faithful Davos' sons to an abomination born of incest. That would be a punishment, not a reward.

Another reason why the abominations would be lousy hostages just came to mind. With Stannis on the throne, they would be legally and publically proclaimed as bastards. This would mean that they would not be able to carry on the Lannister family line. Why would Tywin accept this situation? He's not a sentimental man and it is clear that for him the family in the abstract is more important than any invidividual member. The children are only valuable insofar as they can be considered trueborn Baratheons and trueborn Lannisters. And this is only possible if he wins the war.

Surely Stannis would not marry one of good faithful Davos' sons to an abomination born of incest. That would be a punishment, not a reward.

Youngest son, no holdings would go to her. Remember also that she's a very pretty girl (pre-Darkstar) and would grow to be a beautiful wife for some younger son.

Again, I doubt ANY would live, just if 1 has the best chance, it's Myrcella.

Archived