Too many new cast members for season 5?

Constantinople

Quentyn rant:

With Quentyn they don't need any pre-Meereen scenes. It can be mentioned by Doran and Arianne that he's gone and we meet him when Daario presents the Wnd Blown turncoats to Dany. Bit of back story during the dialogue with Dany and he's a 2 or 3 episode character.

As for the other characters- I think we definitely need Griff and Young Griff (with no companion, unless we get a combined Lemore/Halfmaester character), Moqorro for season 6 (if Meereen is stretched a bit), some random guy as Tyrion's slave master, no Penny (Jorah is enough of an anchor for Tyrion and they can enhance that in the series to replace Penny's role).

That makes no sense. How could Jorah replace Penny? What's up with people thinking that two characters who have absolutely nothing in common and are pretty much the opposites of each other are interchangeable?

Penny is crucial for Tyrion's character development - it's the first time we see Tyrion meet and have substantial interaction with another dwarf, it's finally a chance for him to get a glimpse at what the life of an ordinary, commonfolk dwarf is like, and she is in lot of ways a foil for him as her attitude to the world is completely different from his; and she's also the reason he somewhat wakes up from his self-pity and starts caring about someone enough to make an effort to help. That he eventually helps Jorah is a sign that there is still a decent person in Tyrion, but Jorah was not going to be the reason Tyrion starts thinking about someone other than himself. Why would he? Jorah is a sullen bastard who captured him, put him in chains and treated him like crap every step of the way.

Plus Penny is still alive at the end of ADWD and we know she's still playing an important part in WoW.

I have to admit that I have another reason why I'd be pissed off if they cut Penny... after they've gone out of their way to accommodate the people who think Sansa was obliged to be attracted to Tyrion and "give him a chance" and slam her as shallow for not being sexually attracted to a dwarf :rolleyes: it would be really fun to see if those same people feel the same about Tyrion rejecting the advances of the first female dwarf he meets (and who is genuinely romantically interested in him, didn't marry him against his will and doesn't even come from a family who did him some awful harm). :devil:

Why does it make any difference if they kill him on his wedding or before?

I´m not saying Margeary wants to sleep with him. If there’s anything we know about Joffrey it´s that he´s reckless so if he felt the urge he would and could just bounce on her. Margaery wouldn´t be in a position to deny him. But it would show her she can´t control him so her only way out would be to conspire to kill him.

Sorry, that's nonsense. Margaery is definitely in the position to deny him, before they get married (at which point Joff would have a right to her as a husband). She's not a hostage, she's the beloved daughter of the powerful family who are the main allies of the Lannisters and who the Lannisters are growing to depend on more and more. Even Joffrey wouldn't be so stupid as to dare try to rape her, and Marg wouldn't be without protection (including her brother). Not that Joff, based on his previous behavior, is likely to try to overpower her without Meryn Trent by his side, anyway.

Sorry, that's nonsense. Margaery is definitely in the position to deny him, before they get married (at which point Joff would have a right to her as a husband). She's not a hostage, she's the beloved daughter of the powerful family who are the main allies of the Lannisters and who the Lannisters are growing to depend on more and more. Even Joffrey wouldn't be so stupid as to dare try to rape her, and Marg wouldn't be without protection (including her brother). Not that Joff, based on his previous behavior, is likely to try to overpower her without Meryn Trent by his side, anyway.

If he tries it on with her and she denies him all her considerable efforts to get close to him are negated, just like that, and he´s still likely to do it (with Meryns help if necessary). Even if she tells her father Mace isn’t likely to start a war because Joff didn’t wait with the raping until after the marriage. Murdering him would literally be the only viable option. And yes Joff would without a doubt be dumb enough to try it. He didn´t with Sansa because he was still under his mother’s control at that time but now he´s more and more rapidly becoming “his own man.” If he could behead Ned in public against everyone’s wishes effectively starting a civil war (and get away with it) he´s not likely to think twice about raping Margaery. Also remember that as far as he knows she actually likes him. It´s for this exact reason Loras joins the Kingguard in the books but in the show she doesn’t have that protection.

If he tries it on with her and she denies him all her considerable efforts to get close to him are negated, just like that, and he´s still likely to do it (with Meryns help if necessary). Even if she tells her father Mace isn’t likely to start a war because Joff didn’t wait with the raping until after the marriage. Murdering him would literally be the only viable option. And yes Joff would without a doubt be dumb enough to try it. He didn´t with Sansa because he was still under his mother’s control at that time but now he´s more and more rapidly becoming “his own man.” If he could behead Ned in public against everyone’s wishes effectively starting a civil war (and get away with it) he´s not likely to think twice about raping Margaery. Also remember that as far as he knows she actually likes him. It´s for this exact reason Loras joins the Kingguard in the books but in the show she doesn’t have that protection.

The Tyrells, including Margaery, are neither stupid not helpless, and they would never allow it, period. Which is exactly why Olenna murders Joff, so he couldn't do any raping after the wedding, when he would have the legal right to do that. The idea that they would need some melodramatic rape revenge scenario to poison him severely underestimates the Tyrells, especially since they've known that he's a monster for quite a while, and he's been proving it all the time with his public humiliations of Tyrion and threats to rape Sansa (which is additionally useful, as it makes it more believable than Tyrion and Sansa would want to murder Joffrey, and therefore easier to frame them). They - or at least Olenna - have probably been planning to murder Joffrey for a long time, most likely since their little talk with Sansa.

The Tyrells, including Margaery, are neither stupid not helpless, and they would never allow it, period. Which is exactly why Olenna murders Joff, so he couldn't do any raping after the wedding, when he would have the legal right to do that. The idea that they would need some melodramatic rape revenge scenario to poison him severely underestimates the Tyrells, especially since they've known that he's a monster for quite a while, and he's been proving it all the time with his public humiliations of Tyrion and threats to rape Sansa (which is additionally useful, as it makes it more believable than Tyrion and Sansa would want to murder Joffrey, and therefore easier to frame them). They - or at least Olenna - have probably been planning to murder Joffrey for a long time, most likely since their little talk with Sansa.

To say that “they would never allow it, period.” is not an argument unless you explain how you propose they stop him. They won’t take the King to court so whether he has the legal right is irrelevant. That they have known for a while that he´s a monster is my point exactly. If they were planning to kill him all along there wouldn’t have been any reason for Margaery trying to get close to him and control him. She would have stayed as far away as possible until they got the chance to kill him. It´s obvious from how they´ve portrayed there interactions on screene that she was trying to make the best of it and learn to control him for when they get married. The only reason to change that plan would be if something happened that showed her influent to be futile.

To say that “they would never allow it, period.” is not an argument unless you explain how you propose they stop him. They won’t take the King to court so whether he has the legal right is irrelevant. That they have known for a while that he´s a monster is my point exactly. If they were planning to kill him all along there wouldn’t have been any reason for Margaery trying to get close to him and control him. She would have stayed as far away as possible until they got the chance to kill him. It´s obvious from how they´ve portrayed there interactions on screene that she was trying to make the best of it and learn to control him for when they get married. The only reason to change that plan would be if something happened that showed her influent to be futile.

The Tyrells can dictate terms to the Lannisters in so many areas and get more influence, and you think they couldn't stop Joffrey from raping his betrothed? Come on. Tywin wouldn't allow him to abuse Sansa anymore for the bad publicity it creates, he's certainly not going to let him rape Margaery and destroy their alliance with the Tyrells. And Margaery would certainly have people around her guarding her. She is not stupid. The fact she's willing to be alone with Joffrey is just the consequence of her having Joff's number and knowing that he's too much of a coward to do anything on his own, without his own guards/minions around him. He only abuses those who are in too weak a position to fight back. He couldn't stop Tyrion from slapping him or punish him for it while Tyrion was the Hand, so he tries to make up for it by humiliating Tyrion now that he's not in such a powerful position anymore, but he only goes as far as insults and threats - because there's only so much embarrassing nonsense from him that his grandfather would stand. Tywin doesn't give a shit about Tyrion, or pretty much anyone, but he cares about the family's interests.

The Tyrells can dictate terms to the Lannisters in so many areas and get more influence, and you think they couldn't stop Joffrey from raping his betrothed? Come on. Tywin wouldn't allow him to abuse Sansa anymore for the bad publicity it creates, he's certainly not going to let him rape Margaery and destroy their alliance with the Tyrells. And Margaery would certainly have people around her guarding her. She is not stupid. The fact she's willing to be alone with Joffrey is just the consequence of her having Joff's number and knowing that he's too much of a coward to do anything on his own, without his own guards/minions around him. He only abuses those who are in too weak a position to fight back. He couldn't stop Tyrion from slapping him or punish him for it while Tyrion was the Hand, so he tries to make up for it by humiliating Tyrion now that he's not in such a powerful position anymore, but he only goes as far as insults and threats - because there's only so much embarrassing nonsense from him that his grandfather would stand. Tywin doesn't give a shit about Tyrion, or pretty much anyone, but he cares about the family's interests.

Proposing this scene:

Margeary and Joff are alone in a room. Joff being a horny teenager and now believing he´s found a willing beautiful woman approaches her and start you know..

What´s Margaery to do? Either she goes along with it. This wouldn’t be that big of a deal since as I perceive it she´s at this point still aiming to marry him and although there´s a legal difference that doesn’t really matter. We also know she’s not a virgin so she hasn’t cared before. Why risk refusing now when the stakes are so high?

The other option is to refuse him as carefully as possible. As I said this would seriously risk all she´s tried to accomplice with him the previous season and as I also said she has no logical reason to refuse. She´s shown that she might very well be willing to kill for his pleasure so some premarital sex surely isn’t that big of a deal. So she gives in and they start going at it. Joff then starts doing something weird (whatever they might come up with) in a “moment of passion”. What´s she to do now, kick him of her? Knowing Joff he might very well kill her and damn the consequences. This shows her that even with her best efforts to influence him he´s still a f**ked up guy and she won’t be able to control him once their married. So again NOW the only possible solution is to kill him.

That makes no sense. How could Jorah replace Penny? What's up with people thinking that two characters who have absolutely nothing in common and are pretty much the opposites of each other are interchangeable?

Penny is crucial for Tyrion's character development - it's the first time we see Tyrion meet and have substantial interaction with another dwarf, it's finally a chance for him to get a glimpse at what the life of an ordinary, commonfolk dwarf is like, and she is in lot of ways a foil for him as her attitude to the world is completely different from his; and she's also the reason he somewhat wakes up from his self-pity and starts caring about someone enough to make an effort to help. That he eventually helps Jorah is a sign that there is still a decent person in Tyrion, but Jorah was not going to be the reason Tyrion starts thinking about someone other than himself. Why would he? Jorah is a sullen bastard who captured him, put him in chains and treated him like crap every step of the way.

Plus Penny is still alive at the end of ADWD and we know she's still playing an important part in WoW.

I have to admit that I have another reason why I'd be pissed off if they cut Penny... after they've gone out of their way to accommodate the people who think Sansa was obliged to be attracted to Tyrion and "give him a chance" and slam her as shallow for not being sexually attracted to a dwarf :rolleyes: it would be really fun to see if those same people feel the same about Tyrion rejecting the advances of the first female dwarf he meets (and who is genuinely romantically interested in him, didn't marry him against his will and doesn't even come from a family who did him some awful harm). :devil:

Jorah replaces Penny's role as Tyrion's anchor back into reality and morality, I mean. In the book, we can see that Tyrion is sympathetic to Jorah and pitties him. If we amplify that we wouldn't need Penny at all. I certainly think that if we'll have to start cutting characters, Penny should be first in line.

Yes, I would rather keep Penny and there is a tragic deepness to her character that wakes Tyriom back up from his shitty mood, but I honestly don't think we'll ever see Penny in the show. If she has a huge role to play in TWOW, then we can talk, but I don't think she will.

Here's what I think will happen with new characters:

New main characters:

Wyman Manderly

Jeyne Poole

Victarion Greyjoy

Euron Greyjoy

The High Sparrow

The Kindly Man

Doran Martell

Arianne Martell

Quentyn Martell

Jon Connington

Young Griff

New characters that will be recurring/minor roles:

Alys Karstark (I think that was an important subplot in Jon's downfall)

Septon Meribald

Randyll Tarly

Ronnet Connington (assuming he has a role in TWoW)

Nestor Royce

Lyn Corbray

Xhondo

Arys Oakheart

Areo Hotah

Tyene Sand

Nymeria Sand (combined with Obara. I think Tyene and Ellaria will go to King's Landing while Nymeria hunts the Darkstar)

Gerris Drinkwater (they need to have at least one of Quentyn's companions)

The Tattered Prince (combined with Brown Ben Plumm, possibly promoted to main cast in S6)

Septa Lemore (because boobs, combined with Haldon Halfmaester)

Whoever the harpy is (assuming it isn't Hizdahr)

New characters that will be featured extras in a single scene or episode:

Cregan Karstark

Cotter Pyke

Arnolf Karstark (maybe reappearing in S6 in Stannis' camp)

One of Mance's musicians

The Dusky Woman

Brusco

Gerold Dayne (maybe recurring in S6)

Balon Swann (maybe recurring in S6)

Trystane Martell

Harry Strickland

Characters that are a toss up to be included:

Wylis Manderly OR Robett Glover (it depends on how they choose to time the Skagos reveal in relation to Theon's Winterfell stuff. They may need to give the reveal to Wylis or Robett so they can have Wyman in Winterfell on time)

Barbrey Dustin

A Boat Captain (only if they want to show Rickon's journey to Skagos. They could reuse him to replace Wex in the Skagos reveal)

Aeron Greyjoy (depends on his role in TWoW. I think his role could be merged into Victarion)

Hyle Hunt

Mya Stone and Myranda Royce (I think it depends on where Sansa's story is going in TWoW)

One of Cersei's small council (maybe Aurane Waters?)

Lord Redwyne (depends on his role in TWoW)

Arch Yronwood (I think that he will only appear I we see Quentyn's journey (which would only take 3-4 scenes over the first 7 episodes), and even then I think he will be a featured extra and get killed off by pirates in the stepstones to add drama, effectively replacing Cletus)

Skahaz mo Kandaq

Characters for season 6:

Any relevant Skagosi

Harrold Hardyng

Septa Scolera (featured extra, combined with Unella and Moelle)

Izembaro

Marwyn (I don't think we will see Oldtown until S6)

Alleras/Sarella Sand

Pate/Jaqen as Pate

Leo Tyrell (maybe a featured extra)

Elia Sand (depends on her role in TWoW)

Moqorro

Victarion's maester (featured extra for Victarion to kill)

Khal Jhaqo

Mago V2

Khal Pono (based solely on my predictions)

Notable cuts:

Bowen Marsh (I think his role will go to Alliser Thorne)

Val (I think the baby swapping subplot will be gone. Assuming Stannis captures YarAsha in S4 she could replace Val in Stannis' offer to legitimise Jon. As for treating with Tormund, I think that will go to Locke as the show version of Jon sending Alliser out on a suicide ranging)

Denys Mallister (may appear as an extra that doesn't speak)

Anyone from Davos' three sisters diversion

The Umbers

All Iron Islanders that don't have the last name Greyjoy

Nimble Dick and his entire subplot

Lords Bracken and Blackwood

Most of Cersei's small council

Taena Merryweather

The Kettleblacks (I think the role is going to Meryn Trant)

The Waif

Most of the Sand Snakes

Most of Arianne's co-conspirators

Most of JonCon's crew

Penny

All of the side characters in Volantis

Everyone in Slaver's Bay that isn't the Harpy

Technically it would probably be the greatest expansion in the cast size since S2. However, after the massacre that S4 is likely to be I don't think it will be too problematic. I don't see why they would need to cut major plot lines or characters as long as they take an axe to the vast majority of tertiary characters.

Personally, I think there's no way they're going to be cutting Penny or Taena. The very idea of cutting the people that Tyrion and Cersei (D&D's favorites) have most of their interactions (and pretty interesting dynamics) with during a large amount of their arcs (half of ADWD/the entire AFFC) is highly unlikely. (All the less likely in Taena's case when you take into account the weird lesbian sex scene.) Shavepate is one of the more important people in the Meereen storyline, so he should be in the show, too. On the other hand, I can't see people like Harry Strickland or the Tattered Prince getting lots of screentime, if they are not cut or reduced to extras, since the only people they interact with are new characters who will probably not have the main cast status themselves.

New main characters:

Wyman Manderly

Jeyne Poole

Victarion Greyjoy

Euron Greyjoy

The High Sparrow

The Kindly Man

Doran Martell

Arianne Martell

Quentyn Martell

Jon Connington

Young Griff

Septon Meribald

Randyll Tarly

Nestor Royce

Lyn Corbray

Xhondo

Arys Oakheart

Areo Hotah

Tyene Sand

Nymeria Sand (combined with Obara. I think Tyene and Ellaria will go to King's Landing while Nymeria hunts the Darkstar)

The Tattered Prince (combined with Brown Ben Plumm, possibly promoted to main cast in S6)

Cregan Karstark

Cotter Pyke

One of Mance's musicians

The Dusky Woman

Brusco

Trystane Martell

Harry Strickland

Wylis Manderly OR Robett Glover (it depends on how they choose to time the Skagos reveal in relation to Theon's Winterfell stuff. They may need to give the reveal to Wylis or Robett so they can have Wyman in Winterfell on time)

Barbrey Dustin

A Boat Captain (only if they want to show Rickon's journey to Skagos. They could reuse him to replace Wex in the Skagos reveal)

Aeron Greyjoy (depends on his role in TWoW. I think his role could be merged into Victarion)

Hyle Hunt

Mya Stone and Myranda Royce (I think it depends on where Sansa's story is going in TWoW)

Arch Yronwood (I think that he will only appear I we see Quentyn's journey (which would only take 3-4 scenes over the first 7 episodes), and even then I think he will be a featured extra and get killed off by pirates in the stepstones to add drama, effectively replacing Cletus)

Skahaz mo Kandaq

Characters for season 6:

Any relevant Skagosi

Harrold Hardyng

Izembaro

Alleras/Sarella Sand

Pate/Jaqen as Pate

Moqorro

Khal Jhaqo

Mago V2

Notable cuts:

Val (I think the baby swapping subplot will be gone. Assuming Stannis captures YarAsha in S4 she could replace Val in Stannis' offer to legitimise Jon. As for treating with Tormund, I think that will go to Locke as the show version of Jon sending Alliser out on a suicide ranging)

The Umbers

Taena Merryweather

The Waif

Most of the Sand Snakes

Most of JonCon's crew

Penny

Technically it would probably be the greatest expansion in the cast size since S2. However, after the massacre that S4 is likely to be I don't think it will be too problematic. I don't see why they would need to cut major plot lines or characters as long as they take an axe to the vast majority of tertiary characters.

That's... a lot of new characters. I can't see half of those characters being added to a TV show which already has the largest cast on television. I can see nearly all of the characters in your top list being added, but most of the rest will not make the cut, IMO: they only have 10 hours per season, and several characters already didn't have a large role last season on the show.

And TV viewers can't be expected to figure out who so many new people are. Some upcoming sub-plots will be cut out. Probably many upcoming sub-plots.

New main characters:

Wyman Manderly

Jeyne Poole

Victarion Greyjoy

Euron Greyjoy

The High Sparrow

The Kindly Man

Doran Martell

Arianne Martell

Quentyn Martell

Jon Connington

Young Griff

Septon Meribald

Randyll Tarly

Nestor Royce

Lyn Corbray

Xhondo

Arys Oakheart

Areo Hotah

Tyene Sand

Cregan Karstark

Cotter Pyke

One of Mance's musicians

The Dusky Woman

Brusco

Trystane Martell

Harry Strickland

Barbrey Dustin

Hyle Hunt

Skahaz mo Kandaq

Characters for season 6:

Any relevant Skagosi

Harrold Hardyng

Izembaro

Alleras/Sarella Sand

Pate/Jaqen as Pate

Moqorro

Khal Jhaqo

Mago V2

Notable cuts:

The Umbers

Taena Merryweather

The Waif

Most of the Sand Snakes

Most of JonCon's crew

Penny

I can see most of the main characters making the cut, The Greyjoy uncles at least 2 will be in, in not 3, but most likely 2 (Euron and Vic/Aeron). In regards to the Dornish Doran and Arianne is a definate, however they may cut Quentyn, and perhaps give his role to Arianne (but just hear me out, word could come to Doran that his nephew is still alive and he sends Arianne to fAegon, with the same terms. Obviousy this means no Dany deep fried scenario), In regards to the sand snakes there may only be one, or could take various hot blooded trait and add them to Arianne in her Mycella coup but that may take to much time. If Quentyn is cast then Im sure Gerris will be there as well. More likely to see Brown Ben then the tattered prince. Areo Hotah may be there next to them but wont say much.

JonCon and fAegon will get quite a lot of screen time as they will be with Tyrion, and have feeling D&D want the viewers to like him and see him as the real deal. Penny I think may get cut (depends on PW) and Jeyne Poole, Hyle Hunt(thought Gendry was going to take his place, but since Gendry not in s4 looks like Brienne and Pod only) also not making it. I think Val has been cut

Even with the loss of a lot of characters in s4 there seems so much more to be included in s5 and there will be a lot of characters not making it

Can I just point out that in my list, not including featured extras/single scene characters, that is ~25 new characters (or ~30 if you include the ones that would have a bigger role in S6). That's only slightly more than season 3, but unlike S3 it will be after a season that kills off a large number of characters. That seems entirely reasonable to me.

And may I remind you that for S4 they have cast Fat Walda. FAT. WALDA. If she can make the cut, then why would they get rid of characters like a cross between Tatters and Brown Ben, who would have quite a bit of interaction with Tyrion, and would (based on all the sample chapters) have an important role in TWoW/S6?

I can see most of the main characters making the cut, The Greyjoy uncles at least 2 will be in, in not 3, but most likely 2 (Euron and Vic/Aeron). In regards to the Dornish Doran and Arianne is a definate, however they may cut Quentyn, and perhaps give his role to Arianne (but just hear me out, word could come to Doran that his nephew is still alive and he sends Arianne to fAegon, with the same terms. Obviousy this means no Dany deep fried scenario), In regards to the sand snakes there may only be one, or could take various hot blooded trait and add them to Arianne in her Mycella coup but that may take to much time. If Quentyn is cast then Im sure Gerris will be there as well. More likely to see Brown Ben then the tattered prince. Areo Hotah may be there next to them but wont say much.

JonCon and fAegon will get quite a lot of screen time as they will be with Tyrion, and have feeling D&D want the viewers to like him and see him as the real deal. Penny I think may get cut (depends on PW)

What's PW? Purple Wedding? Penny doesn't have to be cast for the PW, they would just show a couple of extras and cast the role the next season. It's been done lots of time in various shows and films.

and Jeyne Poole, Hyle Hunt(thought Gendry was going to take his place, but since Gendry not in s4 looks like Brienne and Pod only) also not making it. I think Val has been cut

Even with the loss of a lot of characters in s4 there seems so much more to be included in s5 and there will be a lot of characters not making it

How can Jeyne Poole possibly be cut? And why?

There's a whole thread about it, but nobody has given a single good answer to either of these question.

Can I just point out that in my list, not including featured extras/single scene characters, that is ~25 new characters (or ~30 if you include the ones that would have a bigger role in S6). That's only slightly more than season 3, but unlike S3 it will be after a season that kills off a large number of characters. That seems entirely reasonable to me.

And may I remind you that for S4 they have cast Fat Walda. FAT. WALDA. If she can make the cut, then why would they get rid of characters like a cross between Tatters and Brown Ben, who would have quite a bit of interaction with Tyrion, and would (based on all the sample chapters) have an important role in TWoW/S6?

Brown Ben will be in, I think. But Tatters depends on whether they're cutting Quentyn's story or not.

Ultimately, it really all depends on whether D&D like a certain character or not. They will include the most inconsequential of characters, if they like them and find them cool or colorful, or invent some pointless characters of their own (*cough* Ros).

I'm guessing that by now the audience is used to being introduced to random characters every other episode or so. Season four will probably have the highest number of high-impact deaths so far in the series, so introducing another 5 major characters along with 10-15 minor ones every season won't be as difficult. As long as dialogue is used to explain who the new characters are it won't be a problem.

Archived