If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Dany Equals Big Bad

Quentyn POV was totally useless. His purpose to free the dragons could easily be accomplished by any other, a slave, an harpy, a traitor, in just 20 pages. Same for his sightseeing tours.

Why waste the Dorne heir in such a stupid mission is a mystery to me.

Really... It'd have almost more sense if he resurrectes! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So far, only one dead character has come back: Cat. Well, I suppose Mance too sort of. But, I don't think the chances of his return are great.

But, I have to hand it to Quentyn. He had a short life, but his impact will be huge. He:

1) Informs Danny that Dorne is with her

2) Possibly complicates the Dorne/Targaryen relationship by dying

3) Brings two Dornish characters to Maureen

4) Establishes doubt about who poisoned the locusts.

5) Possibly brings the Windblown over the Maureen side in war.

6) Releases the dragons.

He was a fool, he shouldn't engaged powers beyond him. The Dragons of the Old Valyria were unstable creatures, it is know that they killed and burnt every person, who thought, that he was equal to their mighty and they never but never let anyone but their true Lord ride them or have any kind of relationship with them. I can't imagine him resurrected by a red priest. The red priest and priestesses can't resurrect the burnt, they are the priest of fire and there is no stronger power in the world as the Dragons, it is known because with their return the magic has returned to the world, so the dragonfire is a powerful weapon. And personally, i don't think he can help the progress of the plot in any way, except that Dorne won't support Daenerys. I'm the opinion that the story repeats itself, we will probably have the conquest of the Seven Kingdoms again but in the beginning Aegon hadn't conquered 7 kindgdoms but six (all except Dorne).

Quentyn is a good nominee for the Darwin Awards (lets go steal a dragon!).

Say he was successful and managed to steal a dragon, and head by to Dorne with it, he's have trouble controlling it. It would probably escape and terrorize Dorne; it would probably be killed: It would have brough awareness to Westeros that in fact, there is a Targarian with dragons that are now more side-shows but a real threat and perhaps the Lanns would send an assassin.

He's dead. I enjoyed his chapters, but he wasn't necessary. I bet the TV show leaves him out completely.

No way, HBO will make him dashingly handsome and desirable and sauce up his story with fight scenes and one liners making his death shocking and sad for the viewers, "Wow! They'll kill anybody! Hey- remember the Red Wedding?! Wow?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!"

No way, HBO will make him dashingly handsome and desirable and sauce up his story with fight scenes and one liners making his death shocking and sad for the viewers, "Wow! They'll kill anybody! Hey- remember the Red Wedding?! Wow?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!"

I take it I'm not the only one getting more disappointed as the show goes on. I understand the need for changes here and there, but it just seems to me that it's turning into a show "inspired by" the books rather than "adapted from" them. Seeing as how the show will have caught up before the last book (heck, accounting for production time possibly even the next book depending when it's actually finished) that doesn't really surprise me all that much. Doesn't mean I have to like it, lol. I was disappointed when they recast Daario only to once again not give him the extravagant Tyroshi look he has in the books. That leads me to believe that Griff and Young Griff aren't likely to have blue hair either.

But, getting to Quentyn, I wouldn't doubt that they leave him out of the show. Even if he's a device to let loose the dragons on the city, that can be accomplished by some other person trying to steal them or even the Mereenese or Yunkish trying to kill them. And that's even if the plots are matching up still by then.

As far as the possibility of Quentyn being alive for Winds of Winter? Zero. Zilch. Nada. Even if some magical deus ex machina appears with the capability of resurrecting him like Lord Beric or Lady Stoneheart, he's just a pile of bones. As soon as he dies Barristan sends for him to be tended to with beetles. Commonly when preparing bones with beetles they are typically skinned and mostly defleshed. Though I can't say for certain as to the exact procedure undertaken in ASOIAF, I imagine it's safe to assume that what's left of Quentyn at this point is not resurrectable.

I'm sure Quentyn's death will have consequences once Dany reaches Westeros. His two companions still might not make it home alive so who knows what type of story might reach Dorne about his death. Dorne might fight against her or one of the Sand Snakes will attempt to assassinate Dany or her dragons.

It's strange to me when everyone acts like the Quentyn chapters accomplished nothing, I even see posts of people claiming to have only skimmed them and were so bored they didn't really pay attention.

His chapters fleshed out how deep the Varys/Illyrio plot was, and gave many details that were otherwise unknown.

It shared a fair amount of geographical knowledge of Essos, in terms of travelling between areas, and in turn shared a fair amount of the history. (The demon road, etc)

It gave a good amount of insight into the Windblown and gave interaction with the Tattered Prince, who could very well end up being pretty important very soon.

He gave us one of the very few and probably most interesting dragon interactions in the book, and showed a bit of their nature, how they react to humans, how they were more curious than violent until they got shot at, etc...

And last but not least, his actions released the damn dragons, which caused a whole lot of chaos and is going to have incredibly serious implications throughout the rest of the series.

All that being said, he's dead as hell, and his chapters accomplished plenty and moved a good amount of plots forward, even if it didn't seem like it.

Please just stop. You're making entirely too much sense. I do think his chapters were pretty boring; especially on a re-read. BUT, they did serve a lot of purpose.

Quentyn is a good nominee for the Darwin Awards (lets go steal a dragon!).

I still give that to Viserys. Let's walk into a party of a raping, pillaging, murdering horde; stick a sword to the belly of the wife of one of the biggest bad-asses in the history of their culture; and threaten to kill his unborn son.

I still give that to Viserys. Let's walk into a party of a raping, pillaging, murdering horde; stick a sword to the belly of the wife of one of the biggest bad-asses in the history of their culture; and threaten to kill his unborn son.

True, but Viserys had good reason to believe he was a dragon, heir to a kingdom and better than the Droth.

I'm sure Quentyn's death will have consequences once Dany reaches Westeros. His two companions still might not make it home alive so who knows what type of story might reach Dorne about his death. Dorne might fight against her or one of the Sand Snakes will attempt to assassinate Dany or her dragons.

I think the Dornish will accept Quentyn's death with a level-headed stoicism and not blame Daenerys, who is currently in absentia and about to let Drogon skull-rape Khal Jhaqo. They seemed to take Oberyn's death pretty well. Of course, with Aegon and Arianne, Doran can simply ignore Daenerys; he doesn't have to become her enemy.

Frog is dead. His chapters weren't wasted reading though.

He was a secondary POV in Essos that was very welcome. Up to ADwD, Daeny had been the only POV character in Essos (I'm not counting Arya's chapters in AFFC since that's in Braavos far away from Slavers Bay and Volantis).

QM, along with Tyrion, Jon Connington, and Barristan Selmy provided a nice look at Essos that wasn't from the perspective of a teenage girl. It was an alternate look at a fascinating place.

Archived