If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Dany Equals Big Bad

The chapter names is a big reason why I think he's not really "Quentyn". I noticed that chapter names weren't character names in chapters that had someone pretending to be someone else.

Minor PoV characters get titles rather than their names. The only one who didn't get her name for pretending is Arya (and Theon to some extent), but Barristan, Arianne, Areo, Aeron, Asha, Arys, Victarion, ... are they all somebody else ? Is that all a big travesty ? Are the real ones all locked up in the Red Keep getting tortured for their sins ? =3

Spoiler
In the Arianne Winds sample we know that she and everyone else think Dany killed her brother (dany's brother)and it ends with her saying she is the mad kings daughter so they can only pray she isn't crazy

I think Dorne is going to put the full blame on Dany

That is a really good point. Quentyn is already pretending not to be Quentyn. A false Quentyn pretending to not be Quentyn is a bit much. (Although we do have a false Aegon pretending not to be Aegon)

And if Quentyn were an imposter, he would have to be raised believing he was not an imposter.

I'm not really in the Quentyn imposter camp, but I was just exploring the idea for fun..

In truth, I think the Quentyn that faces the dragon has too much of a connection to Viserion and his burning is just too weird by itself for it to happen to an imposter.

I am more in the camp that:

1) Doran sacrificed Quentyn as part of his grand plan.

2) Quentyn might be alive in the end to screw up Doran's plan. Three days dying? Unrecognizable? Yronwoods seem to be hiding something. Also, I find it ironic if Quentyn really becomes Dany's frog prince kissed by fire to emerge desirable suitor.

3) Or....if Quentyn is not alive, the surviving Yronwoods will screw up Doran's plan.

On a completely different note, you mentioned POVs tricking the reader. There is one example, but its very different from this Quentyn imposter talk. The Cersei chapters are a POV tricking the reader. Cercei is probably being manipulated magically by Qyburn, but we read her crazy paranoid thoughts as hers. Different completely, but interesting nonetheless.

I don't think Cersei is having to be manipulated magically by Qyburn. I am not sure the chainless maester has grand plans for power....I think he is happy doing what he was stopped from doing by the Citidel..experiment on people. Dr. FrankenQyburn is already getting what he wants from Cersei by giving her what she wants. I don't think there is any kind of magic manipulation. If you want to say he is using her to get what he wants...ok....I am not even convinced he needs to give her "select" bits of info to further fuel her paranoia, I think she is already there. She was there (a crazy paranoid nut job) before Qyburn got there...if anyone was manipulating Cersei through information it was Varys.

But back to the thread...Quentyn is dead, period. There is not plot to have a sleeper Quentyn, he is dead. I am not sure necessarily that he was sacrificed though either. While it was known the mission was dangerous, I am not at all convinced Doran sent him with the assumption he was going to die (especially the way he did) It was Quentyn's choice and his pride that caused him to try to bring a dragon home to Dorne, and if not a Targ, then why not a real one? Quentyn died by his own actions, which were set into motion by his father yes, but I have to think he had at least hoped he had the possibility to succeed. Doran just isn't one to put all his eggs into one basket though, so while he sent Quentyn and hoped he would/could succeed, he also is smart enough to understand that shit happens and not to put all your hopes and future on a single person/option/mission.

I also don't think Quentyn is alive or will come back, because he served his purpose I think in the books. He freed the dragons which I expect will come into play, aside from the fact that loose dragons=all hell breaking loose in Mereen as it is.....but Quentyn being dead also gives Doran a reason to side with (F)Aegon. Aside from the fact it would have happened I am sure anyway...Doran had two children and there were (and are again) two Targs, one for his son and one for his heir. I would think Doran would have aligned with any "Targ" trying to sit their arse back on the IT and his daugher would have been offered up to (F)Aegon as she was to Viserys. I think Doran is smart enough to have multiple options, but he is smart enough to see a bigger picture and be ready for opportunities as they come, which he is doing by sending the Sand Snakes to KL.

I also don't think the Yronwoods will much up things. The Yronwood with them died from an acute case of pirates I believe right at the beginning of their journey so who are they going to come after? They had beef with the Red Viper who is dead, they were buds with Doran and fostered Quentyn who died of his own actions. I think Yronwood is going to stick with Doran (both maybe assuming, but not knowing exactly what happened to Quentyn) but he sent he heir, having to know the mission was dangerous, and the fact that his boy died before ever seeing a dragon of any kind...I don't Yronwood had anything to rage about or cause problems over.... If Drinkwater and Archibald ever make it back they can Dorne what happened....but with Quentyn's death, I think all it did was push Doran into (F)Aegon's side because now his only option for a marriage is with (F)Aegon.

I think the biggest unknown is going to be if there is another Dance with Dragons...or a beef between Targs, meaning Dany and (F)Aegon...If Doran is allied with him through marriage and then Dany finally comes West and Dany decides to fight with (F)Aegon, then Dorne would fight with (F)Aegon.

Wow a lot of presumptions being made. Quentyn not being Quentyn is one of the more far-fetched conspiracy theories I've read here.

yeah it would be crazy to think he would be fake. Because that hasn't ever happened in the books. well except that time there was a fake arya or that time they switched the baby, or that time the faceless man took on pates face, Of that time we thought the head and hands were davos, or that time that mance was burned alive. I think I could come up with atleast 20 to 30 more of these. lol

I think I counted one time and came up with like 47 instances in these books where someone is using a false name. These books are full of this kind of stuff. We have faceless men, glamors baby switch's people coming back from the dead, all kinds of people giving fake names and you say this is far-fetched LMAO

yeah it would be crazy to think he would be fake. Because that hasn't ever happened in the books. well except that time there was a fake arya or that time they switched the baby, or that time the faceless man took on pates row, Of that time we thought the head and hands were davos, or that time that mance was burned alive. I think I could come up with atleast 20 to 30 more of these. lol

I think I counted one time and came up with like 47 instances in these books where someone is using a false name. These books are full of this kind of stuff. We have faceless men, glamors baby switch's people coming back from the dead, all kinds of people giving fake names and you say this is far-fetched LMAO

Fake Arya never has a POV

They might have switched the baby or it might be a blackfyre baby

Jaqen never has a POV, is a FM and he's clearly on a mission

Have we ever had a POV where a person was a fake?

was talking about the time jon switched the baby. I think that kind of add's to my point. we have maybe more than one baby switch.

How about JON? if R+L=J then he would be kind of fake.

Arya and sansa both given fake names to people. so they kind of have had a fake pov.

Also could add reek to this. took me a couple of pages to figure out who he was so he was kind of a fake pov for me for a min.

It would be new for one to not know he is fake or playing the part so long that he has put it in the back of his mind and almost belives it now though. Which I could see happening.

Also The fact that we havn't had one so far kind of makes me think this might be one because it would be a new way for GRRM to trick us.

was talking about the time jon switched the baby. I think that kind of add's to my point. we have maybe more than one baby switch.

How about JON? if R+L=J then he would be kind of fake.

Arya and sansa both give fake names to people. so they kind of have had a fake pov.

It would be new for one to not know he is fake or playing the part so long that he has put it in the back of his mind and allmost belives it now though. Which I could see happening.

Also The fact that we havn't had one so far kind of makes me think this might be one because it would be a new way for GRRM to trick us.

Jon switching the baby doesn't really count since we find out beforehand that's what he was going to do.

Arya and Sansa give fake names, but we know who they are the entire time. Even someone picking up a book for the first time could deduce that by the sheer number of mentions of who they actually are or thoughts spelling it out.

Jon's a stretch at best too. He was raised as Ned's (bastard) son. Unless this fake Quentyn has been raised as Doran's own son since before he could walk, which I would find a bit unlikely, his memories betray that possibility. If Doran's wife had left shortly after he were born, that would give a bit more weight to the possibility, but she left after Trystane was born and Quentyn sent off to foster at Yronwood. Quentyn has too many memories of Sunspear and the Water Gardens for someone who might have been switched out.

Jon switching the baby doesn't really count since we find out beforehand that's what he was going to do.

Arya and Sansa give fake names, but we know who they are the entire time. Even someone picking up a book for the first time could deduce that by the sheer number of mentions of who they actually are or thoughts spelling it out.

Jon's a stretch at best too. He was raised as Ned's (bastard) son. Unless this fake Quentyn has been raised as Doran's own son since before he could walk, which I would find a bit unlikely, his memories betray that possibility. If Doran's wife had left shortly after he were born, that would give a bit more weight to the possibility, but she left after Trystane was born and Quentyn sent off to foster at Yronwood. Quentyn has too many memories of Sunspear and the Water Gardens for someone who might have been switched out.

do we know what age QM was sent to be fostered?

also I am not saying they are the exact example of the fake QM. Just that its a running theme in the books for people to be switched, looking like someone else, giving fake names. ect.

Also could you show examples of QM talking about his childhood in sunspear? only thing I remember is him talking about being with the Yrowoods as a child.

do we know what age QM was sent to be fostered?

also I am not saying they are the exact example of the fake QM. Just thats its a running theme in the books for people to be switched, looking like someone else, giving fake names. ect.

I don't think there is an exact age, but he was a page and squire at Yronwood. Normal age for pages is somewhere between 7-9. The books say he was sent shortly after Trystane was born, and their age difference would put it around that age range.

Quentyn is dead, therefore there is no purpose to a thread about "if he was still alive".

Although yes, his death will have repercussions. Not least it may turn Dorne against Dany and towards either Aegon (+ Arianne) or Myrcella (+ Trystane) - or, if they're unlucky, split between both.

I'm new here too but holy crap!

Some of the theories here are way far out. I'm not talking about the OP but other people who posted in here, mostly about Doran. Doran isn't Littlefinger. He has had some barely secret plans in the past but they were direct plans that didn't involve backstabbing. He wouldn't have created such an elaborate scheme just to kill his own son. He legitimately just sent his son to wed Dany in another attempt to join forces with the Targs. Quentyn is one of my favs from DwD but there's no point in him being alive. His role in the story is to make it clear that Martells and Dany aren't going to happen which is forcing Martells to go all in with Aegon. As for Quentyn not being on the show. Really? He's a pivotal character in the story who's absence would change the whole story. I wouldn't put it past HBO to portray him and his companions as bumbling pot smoking idiots though.

I'm new here too but holy crap!

Some of the theories here are way far out. I'm not talking about the OP but other people who posted in here, mostly about Doran. Doran isn't Littlefinger. He has had some barely secret plans in the past but they were direct plans that didn't involve backstabbing. He wouldn't have created such an elaborate scheme just to kill his own son. He legitimately just sent his son to wed Dany in another attempt to join forces with the Targs. Quentyn is one of my favs from DwD but there's no point in him being alive. His role in the story is to make it clear that Martells and Dany aren't going to happen which is forcing Martells to go all in with Aegon. As for Quentyn not being on the show. Really? He's a pivotal character in the story who's absence would change the whole story. I wouldn't put it past HBO to portray him and his companions as bumbling pot smoking idiots though.

Doran becomes more and more interesting the more you look at him. His five plans (yes, five!) are each fascinating. His plans have mind-blowing second layers, but none of them seem to make sense yet. And somehow I imagine they fit together.

Doran isn't Littlefinger. He's much more complicated.

So, when people scratch their heads at the idiotic Quentyn plan, there's a reason. It doesn't make sense. There's something else to it. And when people scratch their heads at the weird death of Quentyn, there's a reason. It doesn't make sense. There's something else to it.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with Quentyn, but it's not what is presented. I'm not sure if he's alive or dead, but something is up.

Has anything in the story been straight-forward? Jon Arryn's death? Bran's attack? Ned's execution? Robert's murder? Dany's attempted assassination?

There is always a switch. Either the murderer or the victim or the motive of the method of killing. Something is switched. That's why everyone is questioning whether Quentyn died or whether Doran was honest when sending Quentyn.

Archived