How much power will Littlefinger achieve in the series?

Lord_of_Winterfell

Surprisingly, Littlefinger is the catalyst for all major wars in the book. He is single handily responsible for the Wars in Westeros. We have always know that Littlefinger thrives in chaos, and chaos he has created.

Llittlefinger was humiliated when he tried to marry Catelyn at Riverrrun. Probably the only reason that stopped that marriage from occurring was his birth, he did not have a good enough birth, or lands, or power. In a vacuum, if Littlefinger had a great last name like Stark, Catelyn would have probably been happy (rather than dutiful) towards that match because she liked young Littlefinger. House Stark is certainly a great match for the daughter of Hoster Tully, but almost every single noble house in the realm would have been a better match for Catelyn than Littlefinger. He had no chance at Catelyn. That event in his life deeply marked him, I believe traumatized him to the point where his only goal in life is to acquire power to "prove all the Tully wrong", that he was the best match for their daughters. How much power does he want? Well, king of Westeros would be a start for him.

Littlefinger knew there was bad blood between Jaime Lannister and Edd Stark. He knew that they did not like each other. He also knew Cersei's little secret love life and the truth about Cersei's children. Littlefinger wanted Cat, not Lysa Tully. Lysa fell in love with Littlefinger probably out of jealously for her older sister. Littlefinger entered Lysa's service after she married Jon Arryn and was probably also Lysa's lover. Using Lysa he convinced Jon Arryn to raise him to positions until he got to the Small Council. He convinced Lysa to poison Jon Arryn. ( Lysa was obsessed with Littlefinger and believed all the tales Littlefinger told her about their future together). The Lannisters did not kill Jon Arryn, but Littlefinger convinced Lysa to send a letter to Winterfell blaming the Lannisters and immediately drawing Ned Stark into the conflict. On top of that when Bran fell from the window Littlefinger hired the assassin to kill Bran. The goal of the assassin was to get caught, whether he killed Bran or not was irrelevant. Littlefinger wanted the assassin to get caught to further implicate the Lannisters. Obviously Jaime pushed Bran off the window, but neither the Lannisters nor Joffrey hired the assassin. Two headstrong male characters like Ned Stark (honor bound to get revenge) and Jaime Lannister were automatically set up for a conflict between the two, they already hated each other. Finally, that came into fruition when Ned and Jaime's men fought outside the brothel in King's Landing, making a war between Lannister and Stark just a matter of time. The fact the Cat took Tyrion prisoner was just icing on the cake to expedite everything. Littlefinger also knew how ambitious and pretentious Renly Baratheon was, and probably even whispered to Renly how great a king he would be. He also knew that Stannis was rigid and would claim the throne out of duty whether he had an army or not. Littlefinger manipulated these great houses into civil war and brought Chaos to the realm. And like in the HBO show, chaos is a latter for Littlefinger.

And climb he did, he became Lord of Harrenhal AND Warden of the Riverlands. All of the sudden he was a more than acceptable match for Lysa Arryn / Tully and became protector of the Vale once Lysa died. What does the future holds for Littlefinger? He is Warden of the Riverlands, and Protector of the Vale. If Sansa marries Harry the Heir, and both Robert Arryn and Harry the Heir happen to die, then Littlefinger is free to marry Sansa Stark/ Arryn, becoming Warden of the East since the Vale does not have any more Arryns and in one single struck claiming the North through his marriage to Sansa. All of the sudden Littlefinger would hold powerful titles that demand loyalty from the Riverlands, the Vale and the North.

Titles seem to breed titles and how long before Littlefinger obtain even more powerful titles, or how long until he gets an army because of those titles and marches on a weakened King's Landing. How ambitious is Littlefinger? I believe king of Westeros is just only a start.

Let me know what you think

Littlefinger hired the assassin to kill Bran. The goal of the assassin was to get caught, whether he killed Bran or not was irrelevant. Littlefinger wanted the assassin to get caught to further implicate the Lannisters. Obviously Jaime pushed Bran off the window, but neither the Lannisters nor Joffrey hired the assassin. Two headstrong male characters like Ned Stark (honor bound to get revenge) and Jaime Lannister were automatically set up for a conflict between the two, they already hated each other.

It's all but fact that Joffrey sent the dagger.

ASOS

"Cersei:"Of course we were alone. Us and the children." Cersei removed her hairnet and draped it over a bedpost, then shook out her golden curls. "Perhaps Myrcella sent this man with the dagger, do you think so?"

It was meant as mockery, but she'd cut right to the heart of it, Jaime saw at once. "Not Myrcella. Joffrey."

Cersei frowned. "Joffrey had no love for Robb Stark, but the younger boy was nothing to him. He was only a child himself."

"A child hungry for a pat on the head from that sot you let him believe was his father." He had an uncomfortable thought. "Tyrion almost died because of this bloody dagger. If he knew the whole thing was Joffrey's work, that might be why...""

I can't see the Vale lords just sitting by and letting him marry Sansa Stark if he kills Robert Arryn and Harrold Hardyng, especially Yohn Royce who already has an intense dislike for Littlefinger. It's too obvious. I think he could get away with Robert dying because honestly most of the Vale lords would probably prefer to have Harry ruling and Robert is sickly but if 2, 3 if you count Jon, Lords of the Vale mysteriously die and Littlefinger swoops in to claim Sansa and the Vale most of the Vale lords are going to see what is going on and even the lords Littlefinger bought will abandon him if Yohn Royce and the Waynwoods go to war with him. I think he knows that he can kill Robert but he will have to get more creative/lucky with Harry, maybe having him killed when he goes to press Sansa's claims in the Riverlands and North.

Littlefinger has not the slightest trace of a claim to the Iron Throne. He is not even a fake Targaryen. If he wants to be king, he needs to marry Myrcella, Shireen or Dany first.

True para, but sometimes I think the reason he's so invested in Sansa, is because he sees her as the key to winning control of at least Three of the Seven Kingdoms, (The North, the Vale, and the Riverlands,), which he might fashion into his own Kingdom...

I can see him further cementing his base in the Vale for the time being, but I think he's mostly peaked, (or is about to peak,) and will soon Fall. Hard.

Cersei frowned. "Joffrey had no love for Robb Stark, but the younger boy was nothing to him. He was only a child himself."

"A child hungry for a pat on the head from that sot you let him believe was his father." He had an uncomfortable thought. "Tyrion almost died because of this bloody dagger. If he knew the whole thing was Joffrey's work, that might be why...""

And this is Jaime and Cersei being horribly wrong. When did Joffrey care about his father? In ACOK, Tyrion gave Joffrey his condolences and Joffrey did not even recognize or remember that Tyrion said that because his father the king had died. Joffrey could care less about Robert's approval. And although there is a possibility that Joffrey was a vehicle for this, the mastermind would have been Littlefinger behind everything. Joffrey had absolutely no reason to kill Bran at this time, he was not even a king. And it took him a while into his reign to make decisions without his mother. At the beginning of his reign he never did anything without telling his mother or at least confessing it after it was done. It was much later that he developed disdain towards Cersei and started doing stuff behind her back

On the topic, at racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com, Steve's got another chapter analysis, covering Ned's execution-and why he Steve believes LF is the one who put it into Joffrey's head to go off script and kill Ned.

Thank you for bringing this point. I forgot to include it in my post. In ACOK, Tyrion and Varys are having a conversation and Varys points out how quickly Janos Slynt moved at the command of the king to execute Ned Stark, "almost as if Janos Slynt was expecting this command". Slynt was Littlefinger creature. It is highly likely that Littlefinger convinced Joffrey to execute Ned probably telling him that he would look weak if he did not kill a traitor in front of his people. Janos would have known the plan and did not even ask Cersei's approval after the order was given by Joffrey. Littlefinger needed Ned dead, both because he hated Ned Stark, envied Ned Stark, and because he needed Ned Stark dead to drive the North to war towards the Lannisters.

What was the time frame between Bran falling, and the assassin coming for him? Seems like a very short amount of time for LF to hear of Bran's fall, decide to finish him off as a catalyst, and then procure the assassin/dagger.

I would say at least a week between the fall and the assassination attempt. Bran falls while the king is Winterfell. We can assume the king stayed there at least a few days. The assassination happens after the king and his entourage are gone from Winterfell. Also, Robb discovers that the assassin probably was part of the entourage, some free rider and THAT he was SLEEPING hiding in the stables. he found the place where the assassin was sleeping along with coins. Which means that the assassins waited at least one night after the king had left. So we can assume at least a week altogether.

This king's visit was a key event in Littlefinger's master plan. We can assume that he was paying very close attention to the events in Winterfell and that there were plenty of informants constantly telling him all the details and communicating with him. A week is enough to hire some low life to do this work, remember, he did not need a good assassin at all, his goal was for the assassin to get caught whether Bran died or not was irrelevant. Also, the dagger was never Tyrion's and it was already at Winterfell. In the HBO series it is suggested that the bet between Littlefinger and Tyrion happened but Tyrion betted in favor of Jaime and not against him. In the book series it is suggested that Tyrion never bet with Littlefinger in any tournament, that story was completely made up.

Littlefinger has not the slightest trace of a claim to the Iron Throne. He is not even a fake Targaryen. If he wants to be king, he needs to marry Myrcella, Shireen or Dany first.

I don't get why everyone thinks the Targs still have any claim. Their house destroyed and were only around for a couple hundred years. The political arena of Westeros is more about war allegiance. Myrcella only has a claim while the Lannisters are in power. Shireen only claim is if Stannis survives/unites the north and come south to claim the IT. So Littlefinger could be king of the IT by conquest with the Vale army!!

What was the time frame between Bran falling, and the assassin coming for him? Seems like a very short amount of time for LF to hear of Bran's fall, decide to finish him off as a catalyst, and then procure the assassin/dagger.

Not certain, but more then a week.

Catelyn 3, AGOT, the chapter the assassain is in, opens with "Ned and the girls were gone 8 days". Tyrion 2, AGOT, is the day after the fall, when he's giving out to Joff, and there was probably a few days between this and when the king and co. left, so roughly 10-15 days.

Littlefinger is kind of crazy, he actually believes that he deflowered Cat, yet he prospers in chaos because nobody considers him a player (book LF at least)

Being Westeros a feudal society I don't think he will ever sit the Iron throne, unless as hand of a king. Nevertheless, I think that at the end of asoif the 7 kingdoms will become 7 actual kingdoms (it's a game of throneS, not of the throne), so LF may become King of the vale if he stays alive.

Littlefinger is kind of crazy, he actually believes that he deflowered Cat, yet he prospers in chaos because nobody considers him a player (book LF at least)

Being Westeros a feudal society I don't think he will ever sit the Iron throne, unless as hand of a king. Nevertheless, I think that at the end of asoif the 7 kingdoms will become 7 actual kingdoms (it's a game of throneS, not of the throne), so LF may become King of the vale if he stays alive.

I think this book is full of ironies that made the books really entertaining to read. After many years of planning and hard work Harren the Black finished his massive castle at Harrenhal. It is said that the day the last stone was lay, Aegon came with the dragons and killed all his family and destroyed his mighty castle. What an irony!!

What a greater irony that after all the planning and waiting and scheming Littlefinger finally achieves his life time dream of becoming king of westeros for One day, only to have some other kill him and take it from him. He gets to sit the Iron Thrones and then dies immediately. That would certainly be a great writing instrument to make a story more epic.

I don't get why everyone thinks the Targs still have any claim. Their house destroyed and were only around for a couple hundred years. The political arena of Westeros is more about war allegiance. Myrcella only has a claim while the Lannisters are in power. Shireen only claim is if Stannis survives/unites the north and come south to claim the IT. So Littlefinger could be king of the IT by conquest with the Vale army!!

I'm laughing out loud!!!

There are a lot of posters here who ask why Targaryans have right over Westeros.....and when ever i see that i will put them your post.

If every fool(Robert like),or cunning man(like Littlefinger),or every power hungry lord(like Mace,Tywan,Hoster,etc etc)...etc...can rise an army and take IT by force...gods help Westeros!There would never be and end to the wars!

Targaryans ruled Westeros for 300 years and no1 beside them dared to question their rule not until drunk fool,proud lord,vengenful lord,lord who wanted more power and envy driven lord(all of them Overlords of their kingdoms) decided to rebel and kill hundred of thousands possible million because they did not like the king.

He right now is Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and Lord Protector of the Vale. Most of his machinations in the Vale seem to be about holding onto his power in the wake of Lysa's death, not expanding his powerbase.

Regardless, I don't think Littlefinger is interested in a lateral move, e.g. becoming Lord Paramount of the North, which thanks to distances would mean he can't effectively control the Vale nor the Riverlands. So, if he does make another move, it needs to be a clear step upwards. Provided he doesn't get killed in his efforts to bring the Vale to him, he has options.

1. Marry Shireen and press her claim to the Iron Throne. Obviously, this option requires Stannis to be dead. Regardless, Littlefinger as a "master financier" could convince the Iron Bank to continue to fund the campaign. Promise Bronze Yohn Royce a chance at justice for Loras's murder of his second son, and the Vale might follow, a strong enough power block to knock a weak monarchy off the throne.
  2. Marry Cersei and user her and Tommen's claims to control King's Landing and the Realm. I like this theory even more, since if there were ever two people who should be wed, it was Littlefinger and Cersei, who destroy everyone who works with them. Now they can destroy each other. And I don't think the match is all that farfetched, as Cersei is desperate for a way to re-exert power, and Littlefinger has power (on paper) and yet is to low born to actually threaten her.

There are certainly other things he could do, but most of them don't seem to be a step forward for him. I don't think he cares at all about having children to continue on the Baelish name and line. If he can't have the power for himself, why bother?

I'm laughing out loud!!!

There are a lot of posters here who ask why Targaryans have right over Westeros.....and when ever i see that i will put them your post.

If every fool(Robert like),or cunning man(like Littlefinger),or every power hungry lord(like Mace,Tywan,Hoster,etc etc)...etc...can rise an army and take IT by force...gods help Westeros!There would never be and end to the wars!

Targaryans ruled Westeros for 300 years and no1 beside them dared to question their rule not until drunk fool,proud lord,vengenful lord,lord who wanted more power and envy driven lord(all of them Overlords of their kingdoms) decided to rebel and kill hundred of thousands possible million because they did not like the king.

You seriously misunderstand why Robert rebelled.

And in your post you forget to mention how the Targaryens killed hundreds of thousands if not millions through their own petty squabbles and familial infighting. Dance with Dragons and the Blackfyre rebellions caused way more death than RR ever did.

You could also mention how the invasion of Dorne led to thousands of deaths and didn't even accomplish anything, how the Faith Militant were able to rebel for nearly a decade, and miscellaneous wars such as the War of Ninepenny Kings. So it's not as if the Targaryens brought some era of peace to the realm.

On topic, I think LF will gain some more power before all is said and done. I think he will actually be able to utilize the Riverlands. Partly though Sansa, but also in part by promising the Riverlords that he'll get rid of the Freys.

I'm laughing out loud!!!

You think Robert rebelled because he was a drunk fool? Seriously?

As to answer the OP - I don't think LF wants to become the King of 7K. I think he likes being the Power behind the throne. I think he will want to gain control of the whole realm - but not in name - but instead controlling someone.

But I would not be surprised if he did go and claim the IT for himself.

You seriously misunderstand why Robert rebelled.

And in your post you forget to mention how the Targaryens killed hundreds of thousands if not millions through their own petty squabbles and familial infighting. Dance with Dragons and the Blackfyre rebellions caused way more death than RR ever did.

Well if he rebelled because he didn't want to go to KL to answer to Aerys's imaginable treason i think i understand.....

yea in 300 years....in last 17 years i;m guessing it's very close by now.

Archived