is there any reason to think he didn't it's a good weapon with many particle uses and Ned being Ned why wouldn't he

Because there's no evidence and suggesting that he did is just speculation.

He may have used it, he may not have.

I think people like to think he did just because the weapon is as I said interesting and iconic.

Personally I don't think Ned's the kind of man that would discard a shield for such an unwieldy large weapon but again just speculation.

My only thoughts on why he wouldn't would be its size and his personal preference.

it's size is and advantage especially when you factor in that it's valaryian steel so it would be lighter than a regular sword of its size and fighting with a two hands gives you more control over the sword and allows you to put more power into your strikes which you want when fighting someone in armor

Because there's no evidence and suggesting that he did is just speculation.

He may have used it, he may not have.

I think people like to think he did just because the weapon is as I said interesting and iconic.

Personally I don't think Ned's the kind of man that would discard a shield for such an unwieldy large weapon but again just speculation.

why would ice be unwieldy large it's lighter than a regular sword of its size and if your trained in using it I.e with the two handed style it would be a serious advantage. we're told the great Jon uses a huge great sword and it's not v.s steel and he seems to do fine with it now I know Ned isn't as big but Ned is small either

It's just as sharp as Valyrian Steel, is pale as 'milkglass', is a greatsword and is made out of an fallen star

Said to be made from the heart of a fallen star. Not confirmed but it's certainly a more interesting story than most of the swords in Westeros have. Also, not every Dayne is allowed to wield it. You have to be special to be considered the Sword of the Morning. Of course that's not a fact about the sword itself, but it adds to the mystique.

Said to be made from the heart of a fallen star. Not confirmed but it's certainly a more interesting story than most of the swords in Westeros have. Also, not every Dayne is allowed to wield it. You have to be special to be considered the Sword of the Morning. Of course that's not a fact about the sword itself, but it adds to the mystique.

Makes it kinda sound like the Sword of Mars, Attila's sword, which I believe was allegedly to be forged from a fallen star or meteor. I think it is very interesting that a sword as special as Dawn is held by House Dayne, and not a ruling House, given the historical ideas that possessing a powerful sword gives that person the right to rule. Most obviously Excalibur.

Makes it kinda sound like the Sword of Mars, Attila's sword, which I believe was allegedly to be forged from a fallen star or meteor. I think it is very interesting that a sword as special as Dawn is held by House Dayne, and not a ruling House, given the historical ideas that possessing a powerful sword gives that person the right to rule. Most obviously Excalibur.

Their the one who found the meteorite and decided to make a sword from it I suppose they could of gifted it to the martells but either way it's not like their aren't other minor houses with magic swords like the high towers and mormonts

Their the one who found the meteorite and decided to make a sword from it I suppose they could of gifted it to the martells but either way it's not like their aren't other minor houses with magic swords like the high towers and mormonts

Of course, in GRRM's world, special swords do not give a family/person the right to rule. That is what I find so interesting about this universe.

Usefulness in a spiral staircase would depend on the width of the staircase. ;)

Ahm, not what I meant ;) Spiral staircases in castles were build winding upwards in a fixed direction ( don't know how to explain that) so that the castle guy can swing his arm, going downwards, while the atttacker, going upwards is blocked by the pillar to his right.

Valyrian Steel or not, I doubt that makes it only 20% the weight. Why can't it just be ceremonial? Would that diminish its awesomeness ?

Most of the swords we see today from great kings and such were ceremonial. They actually used others in battle.

And I think the Mountain is meant to be the sole specimen who can use that kind of sword in battle.

It's just an executional weapon. Other Greatswords may have been used in battles, but smaller ones, Id say.

Of course, in GRRM's world, special swords do not give a family/person the right to rule. That is what I find so interesting about this universe.

when a lot of house ( relative term) have special swords they become less of a symbol of right to and more just one of status and honor

Ahm, not what I meant ;) Spiral staircases in castles were build winding upwards in a fixed direction ( don't know how to explain that) so that the castle guy can swing his arm, going downwards, while the atttacker, going upwards is blocked by the pillar to his right.

Valyrian Steel or not, I doubt that makes it only 20% the weight. Why can't it just be ceremonial? Would that diminish its awesomeness ?

Most of the swords we see today from great kings and such were ceremonial. They actually used others in battle.

And I think the Mountain is meant to be the sole specimen who can use that kind of sword in battle.

It's just an executional weapon. Other Greatswords may have been used in battles, but smaller ones, Id say.

what would be the point of such and good weapon to exist of it's just for executions that makes no sense. also the mountain uses his sword one handed Ned would use two hands which would allow him to control it in a fight and allow him to put some serious power behind that giant blade you'd have to be foolish not to use it

what would be the point of such and good weapon to exist of it's just for executions that makes no sense. also the mountain uses his sword one handed Ned would use two hands which would allow him to control it in a fight and allow him to put some serious power behind that giant blade you'd have to be foolish not to use it

Many weapons are good but aren't used.. one can get very philosophical on using superweapons ;)

Greatswords are used by giant brutes, at least one described as Ice with an ugly fat blade, wide as a hand, and not a writing hand, a hotdog finger hand.

Given this, Karl the Great could not write because he would break the pen.. Eddy can write ;)

No , really. There can be used greatswords, those are simply long swords but their blades are not much wider than a normal sword. But Ice.. And yes.. It would be written down by grrm whenever Ned used it.

I think this sword is only meant to serve as a guillotine replacer. A heavy sharp piece of metal falling into the neck of a man, nothing more.

Many weapons are good but aren't used.. one can get very philosophical on using superweapons ;)

Greatswords are used by giant brutes, at least one described as Ice with an ugly fat blade, wide as a hand, and not a writing hand, a hotdog finger hand.

Given this, Karl the Great could not write because he would break the pen.. Eddy can write ;)

No , really. There can be used greatswords, those are simply long swords but their blades are not much wider than a normal sword. But Ice.. And yes.. It would be written down by grrm whenever Ned used it.

I think this sword is only meant to serve as a guillotine replacer. A heavy sharp piece of metal falling into the neck of a man, nothing more.

why would GRRM write down every time Ned used it if it wasn't important to the story. I have to disagree ice being vs steel must weigh about as much as a normal great sword which Ned could handle he isn't described as being weak and as I said the pros of the weapon out weigh it's cons in a situation like the siege of pyke

why would GRRM write down every time Ned used it if it wasn't important to the story. I have to disagree ice being vs steel must weigh about as much as a normal great sword which Ned could handle he isn't described as being weak and as I said the pros of the weapon out weigh it's cons in a situation like the siege of pyke

yeah i disagree..

Grrm would definitely write it down. even if it wouldve only been a small sentence : Eddard drew Ice and swung it at the golden head of the son of Tywin Lannister.

so even if that three letter word would drown in the sentence, grrm would write it. That's actually all the proof needed.

But, you are right to assume that a limited collector's edition, already removed from the blister would be used ;)

yeah i disagree..

Grrm would definitely write it down. even if it wouldve only been a small sentence : Eddard drew Ice and swung it at the golden head of the son of Tywin Lannister.

so even if that three letter word would drown in the sentence, grrm would write it. That's actually all the proof needed.

But, you are right to assume that a limited collector's edition, already removed from the blister would be used ;)

so all the proof you have is he didn't explicitly say bed used it so he did bull shit it's a good sharp light weapon for its size and gives you good range to fight why would you use it to fight Ned was a particle guy and ice is a particle weapon in the right circumstances. also don't fucking condescend to me like you've made a point when you haven't

I've seen people fight with great swords and they are a perfectly good weapon which can be used by average people. The length means they are very good defensively, for catching you're opponent's blows, so good that there isn't much point trying to fight someone who has a great sword with a normal length sword. To fight someone with a great sword you around need a longer, more powerful weapon, like Robert's warhammer. I think Ice would be easily useable by Ned in fact he'd be silly not to use it.

I've seen people fight with great swords and they are a perfectly good weapon which can be used by average people. The length means they are very good defensively, for catching you're opponent's blows, so good that there isn't much point trying to fight someone who has a great sword with a normal length sword. To fight someone with a great sword you around need a longer, more powerful weapon, like Robert's warhammer. I think Ice would be easily useable by Ned in fact he'd be silly not to use it.

I couldn't agree more

Archived