Varys: What's his game?

So, I don’t really understand Varys...

Going back to AGOT, he ‘Serves the realm’. He pleads with Ned to admit his ‘treason’ so he can take the black, which would go a ways to preventing the WOTFK.

He then supports the Lannisters against Stannis.

But then he is instrumental in Tyrion killing Tywin (138 steps up and to the left etc)

Then he kills Kevan, because he is too good at fixing the mess Cersei has created, thus removing the Realm from its chaotic state.

I don’t understand why he seems to have changed his game.

I know the Aegon is a Blackfyre desendant etc theory and I am pretty on board with him being some sort of fake... But I just don’t understand Varys’ game plan... Does he serve the realm? Himself? Some other master?

I don't think Varys' goals have changed at all, his plans have simply adjusted to fit the reality of the changing situation.

We hear in GoT that things were moving too quickly in Westeros, Varys knew he was unable to keep the balls in the air (keep the realm stable) so he was telling Illyrio to hurry the heck up. Unfortunately for Varys LF has his own plans - he wants as much chaos as he can get. Since the wotfk started with LF's intervention Varys has been managing the chaos to serve his own goals. He needs it to continue until they reach the point they want (the point where Varys would have originally triggered chaos himself if LF hadn't done it prematurely).

Varys is a brilliant eminence grise indeed (always a powerful literary tool).

He gave a few hints about his past - assuming it can all be trusted - but his ultimate motivations remain somewhat obscure, or even paradoxal as you mentioned.

I think he serves the realm as long as it fits his own agenda, but I doubt he serves another master. He plays a greater kind of chess game, moving the bigger pawns and the lesser pawns in an abstruse choreography nobody can fully grasp (with the notable exception of Illyrio). Remember Varys "vowed lo live" after the blood magic sorcerer supposed that he should die. Life is stability and chaos combined, so is Varys and he set out to plow his own furrow.

Does he try to make up for all the hardships he's gone through? Perhaps but I do hope there's more to Varys than just the Freudian dimension.

I don’t understand why he seems to have changed his game.

I don't think his game does change, just his methods.

If you view him as having a consistent goal (to put Aegon on the Throne) he's simply applying the accelerator or the brakes on the chaos depending on where he needs the realm to be. In AGoT, he's trying the stability angle because Aegon/Daenerys are not ready yet, as his conversation with Illyrio implies. That's why he tries to save Ned; because if Ned leaves King's Landing alive, it limits the chance Robb breaks the general peace.

In later novels he's trying to knock of stabilising figures (Tywin, Kevan), because Aegon is nearly ready and he wants Aegon to benefit from maximum political fragmentation.

Agreed. Varys is trying to adapt to circumstances that are rapidly spinning far beyond even his control.

I think, one thing Varys hasn't yet fully factored in is Dany's dragons...and how that means Dany's now beyond the point, of being biddable to just support Aegon's 'superior' claim to the IT, and wedding him. I don't know if he has any way at all of dealing with a possible Dance of Dragons 2.0

I don't think it was ever his intent to "control" these circumstances in the realm. Not even Tywin in all of his power and wealth could have done that. But just like Littlefinger, Varys knows how to play the game, and he's gotten damn good. Good enough to not necessarily control a situation, but sway it just enough to favor whatever outcome he has in mind. I don't think he is working for anyone else, and I truly believe he serves the realm. I think that if varys wanted to, he could have put himself on the iron throne by now, but he won't because few, if any would support a eunuch king.

It's possible that he does truly "serve the realm" in his way. If he believes that Aegon, who has been raised the best possible way to be a ruler (as far as that can be taught) will be what is best for Westeros, then he should feel it is his duty to do everything he can to ensure Aegon's eventual ascension to the Iron Throne.

He'd be going for what's best in the long-run.

Varys is a brilliant eminence grise indeed (always a powerful literary tool).

He gave a few hints about his past - assuming it can all be trusted - but his ultimate motivations remain somewhat obscure, or even paradoxal as you mentioned.

I think he serves the realm as long as it fits his own agenda, but I doubt he serves another master. He plays a greater kind of chess game, moving the bigger pawns and the lesser pawns in an abstruse choreography nobody can fully grasp (with the notable exception of Illyrio). Remember Varys "vowed lo live" after the blood magic sorcerer supposed that he should die. Life is stability and chaos combined, so is Varys and he set out to plow his own furrow.

Does he try to make up for all the hardships he's gone through? Perhaps but I do hope there's more to Varys than just the Freudian dimension.

Excellent post!

I think he wants to help the Targaryens to win back Westeros. Varys wanted a war to destabilize the realm, same as his "opponent" LF, so the Targaryens could win many supporters as soon as they arrive. That's why he told Ned that Rober was killed by the Lannnistes, namely Lancel and Cersei. Though he tried to delay it by convincing Ned to take the black because Viserys has just died and Daenerys was pregnant.

Archived