Nitpick With Impunity S04 E02 Version

Indeed.

That is why I said he was the 'perfect man for his time' = winning the throne. I then said "but then he went to rust' = utterly useless at ruling it

How was Robert so bad, though? Everyone keeps saying this - both in-universe and out - but I don't see the evidence. Sure the Crown got in a bit of debt, but there's a theory that Littlefinger was deliberately messing with the numbers. I don't see how the country could get in so much debt just for heaps of partying. In his rule he crushed a rebellion and no other conflicts came up. Yes he was a drunk, but his rule was a peaceful one (until the events of aGoT of course).

How was Robert so bad, though? Everyone keeps saying this - both in-universe and out - but I don't see the evidence. Sure the Crown got in a bit of debt, but there's a theory that Littlefinger was deliberately messing with the numbers. I don't see how the country could get in so much debt just for heaps of partying. In his rule he crushed a rebellion and no other conflicts came up. Yes he was a drunk, but his rule was a peaceful one (until the events of aGoT of course).

Greyjoy rebellion?

Anyway, sure his was a peaceful rule, people need a bit of time after a war. And 17 years after that all wounds are open again.

But if LF s game with numbers was all to bring down the realm, then Jon Arryn was a horrible Hand. How did he not see this? Ned saw that when he was Hand. How is it that Arryn had no power over his "son"?

Indeed.

That is why I said he was the 'perfect man for his time' = winning the throne. I then said "but then he went to rust' = utterly useless at ruling it

yes, yes.

But even in the usurpation war, it needed the careful plotting of Arryn over years and years and waiting for the right moment, and then...Robert slew Rhaegar. That is his achievement. But Tywin won the war. He sacked the city and killed (let kill) the heirs. The rebellion was a lucky affair.

yes, yes.

But even in the usurpation war, it needed the careful plotting of Arryn over years and years and waiting for the right moment, and then...Robert slew Rhaegar. That is his achievement. But Tywin won the war. He sacked the city and killed (let kill) the heirs. The rebellion was a lucky affair.

Yeah, I'd love to see more about Arryn. He could obviously see the demise of the Targaryens and played a long game over decades.

There is a lot of luck in every war. Robert did more than just kill one man. He was a warrior and a leader. He had banners behind him.

He sacked the city and killed (let kill) the heirs.

He ordered the death of the heirs.

Yeah, I'd love to see more about Arryn. He could obviously see the demise of the Targaryens and played a long game over decades.

How come he didn't join Rhaegar into his little usurpation? Rhaegar wanted to take the throne by rallying the same lords as did Arryn...only.. then Arryn wouldn't have been Hand..so no reward for his failing House...Maybe Lord Rickard would have been the Hand if Lyanna married into Rhaegar's family.. convenient that it appeared that Lyanna was abducted and even more convenient that Rickard and Brandon got killed. Convenient for Arryn, to rally the Lords even against Rhaegar, and Arryn got his reward. win-win. Honour!

"Your false king is dead", eh?

rings a bell, does it?

Winds Spoiler

Theon I takes place in Stannis' camp before the battle of Ice. Its unknown if this is before or after Jon recieves the Pink Letter as it is labelled. Stannis is alive in this chapter

Also, I was being deadly serious about not knowing who was joking. And I didnt just mean you, I meant the last page or so. Apologies if it seemed I was targetting you :blushing: :(

Winds Spoiler

Theon I takes place in Stannis' camp before the battle of Ice. Its unknown if this is before or after Jon recieves the Pink Letter as it is labelled. Stannis is alive in this chapter

Also, I was being deadly serious about not knowing who was joking. And I didnt just mean you, I meant the last page or so. Apologies if it seemed I was targetting you :blushing: :(

ahg, I get this everyday, don't take it personal, I didn't (your comment at least)

The Winds chapter is before the pink letter. It sets directly after the sacrifice chapter.

here you go

at the very bottom comes the time frame of these events. ;)

entry 411 I believe

How come he didn't join Rhaegar into his little usurpation?

Because there was a little matter of Rhaegar causing Jon's plan to be shattered. He was attempting to unite the North and the Stormlands in the long term. Rhaegar and Lyanna tore the timeline to pieces. The usurpation by Robert wasn't the long game. It was a knee-jerk reaction to the events as they unfolded.

Because there was a little matter of Rhaegar causing Jon's plan to be shattered. He was attempting to unite the North and the Stormlands in the long term. Rhaegar and Lyanna tore the timeline to pieces. The usurpation by Robert wasn't the long game. It was a knee-jerk reaction to the events as they unfolded.

Actually it was. Robert the warrior as king to win and king to look, and Jon Arryn as the real king. Serving as hand but actually doing the shit. Like Tywin.

What do you think Arryn wanted ? Peace and prosperity for the realm just for fun? He wanted power to his extinct House. I mean it is noble to unite people against a mad king, but open your eyes, Arryn, Rhaegar did the same, join with him if you wanna be noble and do the right thing. But denying this, excluding Rhaegar...no. Interesting even further, that it took Rhaegar one year to let his lust lead him to Winterfell and abduct Lyanna...For me it is more likely she fled the arranged forced marriage and ran into Rhaegar..

Arryn had certainly planned to lock up the North/Stormlands/Riverlands alliance before any such thing happened. The rebellion happenning when it did was quite clearly not in his plan. He may have also had other plans to try to tie the West and Reach together too. We may never know for certain. Tywin claimed Dorne only joined the Targaryens because Aerys reminded them he held a hostage.

Is there a quote for Jon planning to put Robert on the throne before everything went to chaos?

Archived