[ADwD Spoilers] Does this relase him from the oath?

Okay, I know there is a lot of debate regarding the fate of Jon Snow. However, assuming he died and Melisandre brought him back, does this mean he is released from his vows? Could this be why George R. R. Martin put this part in, to release him from his vows without betraying his honor?

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death...

It's possible, but then again, it's also possible that the Night Watch collapses after this action or is destroyed by the Wildlings.

Too many possibilities to be able to tell exactly.

Makes logical sense, and gives Jon the freedom to go where the story needs him. That is, if the Watch & Wildlings don't mistake him for a wight.

Fair point. At the very least the watch wouldn't trust him, not sure if they'd try and kill him though. The wildlings might, they do owe him their lives.

On the other hand, they might just think it's a miracle.

A person is never really bound by their vows. Jon has always been free to leave the wall. It is jon's own honor which prevents him from leaving and, unless jon's resurrection significantly changes his character, he will still feel bound to the night's watch. If, on the other hand, the night's watch is destroyed before or while jon is resurrected, then jon may be free to go on about his life....

A person is never really bound by their vows. Jon has always been free to leave the wall. It is jon's own honor which prevents him from leaving and, unless jon's resurrection significantly changes his character, he will still feel bound to the night's watch. If, on the other hand, the night's watch is destroyed before or while jon is resurrected, then jon may be free to go on about his life....

This is the more popular theory i've seen (night's watch being destroyed). if jon dies and comes back, and the nights watch still exists, it gets complicated and comes down to the wording of the oath. But if jon dies and comes back and the watch has been dissolved, its a lot less messy.

Another thread about this is going on here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109414-jon-freed-of-his-oath/

Some points made:

Jon Snow is dead. Whoever reborns will likely be Jon Targaryen.

Picture them putting him on a pyre or whatever burial rights and chanting the traditional NW final words:

"And now his Watch has ended"

So yeah, Jon Snow would be freed of his oath...

I think even if he is undead he is not freed from his vows. The idea of "true death" was raised in the ADWD prologue, and I imagine something as ancient as the Night's Watch vows are meant to be tied to being totally dead. A loophole for sorcery letting you get out of your vows when the Night's Watch was founded in a time with lots of sorcery and lots of undead is very unlikely. And I doubt the Night's Watch would want their men dying and then rising free of their vows to do what they want again.

I don't think Martin will ever have Jon freed from his vows and obligations, if Jon takes the vows seriously Jon wouldn't try to escape them just because of a lawyer's technicality.

It's also possible that the Night's Watch was originally meant to be a sorcerous army of undead, and that's why condemned men and criminals were sent there, that the act of saying your vows was accompanied by being sacrificed over a heart tree. Then you rose again, harder and stronger, to defend the wall--night falls on your life, and now your watch begins, it shall not end until your true death.

I think even if he is undead he is not freed from his vows. The idea of "true death" was raised in the ADWD prologue, and I imagine something as ancient as the Night's Watch vows are meant to be tied to being totally dead. A loophole for sorcery letting you get out of your vows when the Night's Watch was founded in a time with lots of sorcery and lots of undead is very unlikely. And I doubt the Night's Watch would want their men dying and then rising free of their vows to do what they want again.

I don't think Martin will ever have Jon freed from his vows and obligations, if Jon takes the vows seriously Jon wouldn't try to escape them just because of a lawyer's technicality.

It's also possible that the Night's Watch was originally meant to be a sorcerous army of undead, and that's why condemned men and criminals were sent there, that the act of saying your vows was accompanied by being sacrificed over a heart tree. Then you rose again, harder and stronger, to defend the wall--night falls on your life, and now your watch begins, it shall not end until your true death.

"True death"? I doubt anyone in the Night's Watch would want someone who just came back from the dead back as their LC, no offense.

Archived