ASOIAF and its real world counterparts. Ned is Richard, Duke of York?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625187/Revealed-The-REAL-history-Game-Thrones-fantastical-characters-surprisingly-like-Wars-Roses.html

I love discussing the histroical inspirations:

Robert Baratheon and Edward IV

Petyr Baelish and Thomas Cromwell

Ned Stark and Richard, Duke of York

Cersei Baratheon and Margaret of Anjou

Daenerys Targaryen and Henry Tudor/Cleopatra

Stannis Baratheon and Richard III

Theon Greyjoy and George Plantagenet

Robb Stark and Edward IV

Joffrey Baratheon and Edward of Lancaster

I don't see Ned Stark and Richard at all. Ned has no claim on the throne and was trying to pass it to the rightful heir whilst Richard schemed for it to be passed to his own bloodline. The Theon Greyjoy one is garbage too. Theon is ultimately loyal to his biological family the complete opposite of George. Aegon fits Henry Tudor better than Daenerys who has a better claim to the throne by far. Robb Stark is also very different to Edward IV, fighting for very different reasons the only similarity Is their father's deaths. The rest are fine.

these comparisons are a lot more in depth than any others i've seen, a lot of them have a lot of truth to them, but i dont know about danaerys and henry tudor, its generally accepted that the targaryens general story arc of being an overthrown dynasty in exile mirrors the stuarts, who ruled england a couple of centuries after

No person is a one-one copy of a historical person, but the Wars of the Roses and other dynastic wars have of course provided a lot of inspiration for the main struggle. Still, trying to find a character's historical counterpart doesn't really work.

Also Barristan Selmy is Englands greatest knight William Marshall 1st Earl of Pembroke

That is an interesting article , wouldn't have put some of them together had I not read that , I think some of them are ' loosely ' based on these historical characters. I have noticed another, as the title of this post alludes to , my evidence is as follows

William Marshall Barristan Selmy

- so called 'Greatest knight that ever lived' - Famous as one of the greatest knights in 7 Kingdoms.

- served 4 kings ; Henry ll, Richard I [Lionheart], John, Henry lll - Served 4 kings Jaehaerys , Aerys ll , Robert , Joffrey.

- Celebrated Tourney record - Celebrated Tourney record

- Known for his chivalry + his reputation meant you wanted him on your side - Known for his chivalry , when released from KG all others

left KG position open.

- Despite fighting for Henry ll in a losing cause, against Henry ll rebellious heir - Despite fighting for Aerys ll , alongside Rhaegar in a losing

Richard l The Lionheart and unhorsing the fierce Richard in battle , cause. Robert gave aid to the injured Barristan and later

he was still welcomed to court by new King Richard , as he was not foolish invited him onto his KG.

enough to exclude such a legendary figure whose loyalty + military prowess .

were too useful to ignore.

- Led army into Battle of Lincoln [ 1217 ] at the age of 70 , inspiring them to - Soon to lead battle at Meereen at age 60+ ?

victory.

Another link to William Marshall is an event that happened in his youth. Their castle was under siege by King Stephen as the Marshall family supported the opposition The Empress Matilda. A deal was struck that a 5 year old William was to be handed over to King Stephen as a hostage to ensure Williams father John kept his promise to surrender the castle. John however used the time to strengthen his forces and inform The Empress Matilda.

King Stephen ordered he surrender the castle or William would be hanged. John's cold reply was '' Go ahead , I still have the hammer + anvil to forge still more + better sons '' With John refusing to surrender another threat was issued , this time King Stephen would send back young William directly over the walls by way of Trebuchet / Catapult ! Fortunately for the child Stephen could not bring himself to harm William.

This technique is used at Riverrun by Ryman Frey when he has Edmure Tully hostage. Ryman threatens to hang Edmure unless Brynden [ Blackfish ] surrenders the castle , Brynden however is not impressed and resists the threat. Jaime Lannister then arrives and takes command. He offers Edmure a deal and releases him , informing him all the while that if he should go back on this arrangement and Edmure's and Roslin's child should be born , Jaime will send it to them via Catapult.

GRRM uses history / historical figures all the time , and I really enjoy looking into these characters. None more so than William Marshall , you can find documentaries on Youtube and via the BBC about this truly legendary man. Thanks for reading

Archived