What did Benjen know of Jon's parentage?

hollowcrown

I think Benjen knew, and that Ned didn't have to tell him (I think Benjen just wouldn't believe Ned's story). Furthermore, I suspect that that's at least part of why Benjen joined the Night's Watch -- I assume that there was *something* about which Ned and Benjen disagreed, otherwise Benjen wouldn't left the family with such few potential heirs.

It really makes sense that Benjen knows based on the fact he disappears.

Benjen disappears, leaving Jon 1. unknowing of his parentage, which might have become important post-Robb's death if he was a trueborn stark and 2. leaving a power vacuum in the Watch allowing Jon to learn to lead.

I think Benjen probably figured it out on his own. He knows his siblings pretty well, after all.

I don't think they really talked about it, though. Maybe it was more a "we both know the other knows but we don't need to discuss it" situation. After all, if things would have been different, there is a decent chance that Jon's real parentage wouldn't ever have been something of interest. Probably they thought that burying this secret as deep as possible would be Jon's best protection.

(All of this, of course, assumes that R+L=J is true)

Why would Ned tell Ben? Ned is the 'gold standard' of honor. Lyanna presumably made him promise to not tell anyone, which is why Ned hasn't even told his WIFE. He took this promise so seriously that he has lived with his wife for the past 14 years with her thinking he cheated on her. If he would have told anyone it would have been Cat, so 1. she wouldn't be such a bitch to Jon, and 2. so she wouldn't think Ned cheated on her. If he hasn't told her, he hasn't told anyone.

Why would Ned tell Ben? Ned is the 'gold standard' of honor. Lyanna presumably made him promise to not tell anyone, which is why Ned hasn't even told his WIFE. He took this promise so seriously that he has lived with his wife for the past 14 years with her thinking he cheated on her. If he would have told anyone it would have been Cat, so 1. she wouldn't be such a bitch to Jon, and 2. so she wouldn't think Ned cheated on her. If he hasn't told her, he hasn't told anyone.

Family comes first for Ned. Being the only other surviving Stark before Robb was born, he might have had to tell Benjen just so someone knew in case something happened to Ned. Plus Benjen was really close with his sister, so Ned might have thought than poor lonely Benjen deserved to know the truth. Ned's and Catelyn's love was a slow growing on so he may have never told her because he didn't know if he could trust her, and by the time he did it's not really relevant because Jon has had years of her scorn already and Ned and Cat are dedicated to each other.

In addition Jon was expected to join the Night's Watch his whole life. Having Benjen, who would keep an eye out for Jon and be his commander, it was probably useful for him to know.

Archived