Why did Stannis keep Dragonstone?

hollowcrown

Dragonstone was a Targaeryian stronghold, and all the islands had lords still loyal to the Targaeryans. They needed a strong, proven commander to rule them, and that was Stannis.

Of course, given how weak they are, one could argue that they really didn't pose any real threat to the crown, but I guess Robert was worried about it becoming a rallying point for Targaeryan loyalists. If Viserys returned, he could base himself there and try to rally Dorne and the Reach again.

Giving Stannis Dragonstone made sense in a lot of ways. But I've always suspected that a lot of the occupants of SE were still bitter at Stannis for holding out so long during the siege their families nearly starved. Robert often went the path of least resistance. Maybe he just figured it would be easier to give Stannis Dragonstone.

So after the war King Bob keeps the Targaryen traditiions of giving the heir to the throne the seat of Dragonstone to hold, like Rhaegar before him. Therefore Stannis ruled over it, and Renly was given Storms End. However when Joffrey was born, should he not have been given Dragonstone?

Joffrey as the Prince of Dragonstone with a strong steward to teach him (maybe Stannis himself) means he would've had more experienced ruling and he might not have turned out as such a sadistic boy. But Stannis kept it...why? Stannis isn't Robert's heir any more, why wasn't he packed off back to rule Storms End as the second most senior of house Baratheon? Was this saying Stannis is still the heir? Was it an actual slight to Stannis by Robert, saying "fuck you keep Dragonstone, Renly gets Storms End", or did Stannis need Dragonstone as he was Master of Ships?

Whilst we're at it....the Lannisters have lots of smaller off-shoots of their family but the Starks and Baratheons only seem to have the primary lines?

Perhaps Robert subconsciously knew Joffrey wasn't his heir and left Stannis there as his de facto heir. Leaving Joffrey on an island to do whatever he wants seems like a bad idea, and everyone there would have known it.

The Starks had Karstarks and presumably quite a few offshoots, who perhaps changed their names. The Baratheons probably did as well. It seems the name goes with the title anyway, so if a non-Baratheon (or more likely someone with a Baratheon mother) were to become lord of the Stormlands, he's automatically become a Baratheon.

Perhaps Robert subconsciously knew Joffrey wasn't his heir and left Stannis there as his de facto heir. Leaving Joffrey on an island to do whatever he wants seems like a bad idea, and everyone there would have known it.

The Starks had Karstarks and presumably quite a few offshoots, who perhaps changed their names. The Baratheons probably did as well. It seems the name goes with the title anyway, so if a non-Baratheon (or more likely someone with a Baratheon mother) were to become lord of the Stormlands, he's automatically become a Baratheon.

Your last point: I don't think so. See Casterlys, etc. I think it's the norm if you inherit by marrying in to adopt the senior name, but I don't think it just comes with the property.

Your last point: I don't think so. See Casterlys, etc. I think it's the norm if you inherit by marrying in to adopt the senior name, but I don't think it just comes with the property.

Yeah I think in that case a non-Baratheon male would have to take the Baratheon name of his wife if they want to continue the name. When Tyrion married Sansa he was going to be lord Lannister, regardless if he ruled over Winterfell.

Archived