Rhaego & blood magic

hollowcrown

The birth and condition of Dany's son Rhaego was a weird one for me. The description given to him was just so vivid, disgusting and inhuman.

"Monstrous. Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years."
Like what the hell is this...what caused it? Let's say MMD's description was true and Rhaego was a weirdo mutant child, was it caused by the interruption of the ritual, or was Rhaego always going to be born that way (maybe because of Dany's Targ genes + the Dothraki genes). Was he just a normal stillborn but MMD was mad and exagerrated the description?
Jorah never spoke out against it so like...it must have been true otherwise him or one of the handmaidens would have told Dany that MMD was lying?
Or it could have just been foreshadowing that Dany was going to birth the dragons?
So what really happened here?

My opinion is that the child was deformed, and limited medical knowledge of the medieval setting couldn't have explained it other than that. Most likely the child was deformed to the point where they thought it is a dragon given that it was Targaryen who was giving birth to it.

I think MMD swapped Rhaego and dragon egg' life forces, that is why dragons are baby-like in nature and Rhaego looked like a fossiled dragon.

Other cases about other Valyrians are genetic problems, I'm sure about that. But MMD was there, so blood magic is likely.

Rhaenyra's Visenya didn't have wings or graveworms inside.

Rhaenyra's Visenys is said to be the same with Rhaego. I beleieve that this has something to do with the Targ DNA and not with MMD's magin.

There are some differences, and I wouldn't say they are same. As for it having something with Targaryen DNA, my belief that it is nothing unusual like those theories of "Targaryen having dragon DNA" but rather simple explanation in the ignorance of what was happening.

I think MMD swapped Rhaego and dragon egg' life forces, that is why dragons are baby-like in nature and Rhaego looked like a fossiled dragon.

Other cases about other Valyrians are genetic problems, I'm sure about that. But MMD was there, so blood magic is likely.

Rhaenyra's Visenya didn't have wings or graveworms inside.

Were the eggs in the tent when the ritual was going on?

Cos that's an awful lot of life swapping going on haha!

I suppose we can assume:

1. The dead horse paid for Khal Drogos life (despite leaving him in a vegetative state "Some would say death is better")

Dany comes in, Rhaego's lifeforce is swapped with the dragon eggs life force

MMD thinks she has swapped Rhaego's life force for Drogo's so laughs

Upon exposure to heat the Dragons hatch, infused with Rhaego's life force

Rather than assuming MMDs death pays for the Dragons life force or something?

There are some differences, and I wouldn't say they are same. As for it having something with Targaryen DNA, my belief that it is nothing unusual like those theories of "Targaryen having dragon DNA" but rather simple explanation in the ignorance of what was happening.

I corrected it. However I do believe that it has something to do with Targ or rather Valyrian DNA and their ability, or maybe magic?, to control their dragons.

Or maybe...

Drogo --> Drogon, wildest of the three

Rhaego --> Viserion, amiable one (my favourite btw)

and Drogo's horse or MMD herself --> Rhaegal? (i dont like him, dunno why)

Lol, if its indeed true than MMD fucked up so hard.

Or maybe...

Rhaego --> Viserion, amiable one

and Drogo's horse or MMD herself --> Rhaegal?

Possibly, but Drogo's life was still saved. I think MMD did that spell correctly because she did warn Dany of the consequences of the magic and was all gloating and happy about it after especially because it was under Dany's orders.

Possibly, but Drogo's life was still saved. I think MMD did that spell correctly because she did warn Dany of the consequences of the magic and was all gloating and happy about it after especially because it was under Dany's orders.

Yeah that's right... Drogo kept "living". Hmmm... I wonder if a baby's life force is enough for 3 fossilised dragon eggs.

I think Dany walking into the tent killed Rhaego. The magic corrupted him, turning him into a monster.

I think Drogo, Rhaego, and perhaps even Viserys's lives paid for the Dragons. Three kings for three dragons. Note that the dragons are also loosely named after those three.

Or maybe...

Rhaego --> Viserion, amiable one (my favourite btw)

and Drogo's horse or MMD herself --> Rhaegal? (i dont like him, dunno why)

I think really she just sacrificed the son for the Father and the Horse was just part of the ritual. I don't think it would have changed a thing if Dany had not entered the tent, because MMD expicitly told her before that she would exchange the life of the Father for that of the son.

The dragons are just absolutly normal dragons and were brought back to life by unintentional blood magic when they burned a shadowbinder(powererfull soceress -> a lot of magic) and a king(kings blood -> a lot of magic).Remember that Mel talked a lot about the strength of kingsblood and Drogo was a king in some sense.

The graveworms just symbolise death, as all life was taken from the child. I don't really think that Dany had a corpse with graveworms inside of her all that time, it was just a side effect of death and life magic.

Edit: Also, the kid was supposed to be some kind of chosen one, I think he was half a dragon from the beginning. Also there were occasions of similar children born to Targs, right?

Well even Rhaego's birth is questionable... MMD said she learned the birthing songs of moonsigners. She also said the price was Rhaego all along. There was no midwives around, Dany heard a song aaaand she went into labour? Coincidence? I think not!

Archived