Images/Metaphors in ASoIaF

nymxria

I'm a big fan of metaphors or delving deeper into certain images of books/films. There a great deal in ASoIaF if you're willing to look out for them and I think they add a magical quality to GRRM's writing. So my question is, what are your favorite metaphors in the series?

Mine definitely has to be the image of snow melting in people's hair at the very beginning of the series. This recurs a lot in Jon's POV chapters and I love it. I perceive it as a metaphor for innocence 'melting' away and coming to terms with growing up or bearing responsibilities or, 'getting your hair wet'. Because, as we all know, the Stark family all come to face with grave situations or heavy burdens.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong topic, I'm more of a lurker on these forums instead of a poster, just thought it would be cool to take a break from heated theory topics.

One good metaphor/prediction about Robb is the chapter on Oldstones, where they talk of Tristifer IV Mudd. I thought the Tristifer IV=Ned and Tristifer V=Robb, because Ned did win all his battles but lost the Game of Thrones, and his son was as bad a player as he was, winning a lot of battles but losing the GoT as well. It's cool to read that chapter knowing about the RW, and in my reread that was a bath of references.

I think that the connection between snow and innocence is strong, and also helps people of remembering things that happenned a long time ago.

It is almost a case of involuntary memory.

When Sansa watches the snowflakes in Eyrie, she recalls the childhood games with her siblings.

She scooped up a handful of snow and squeezed it between her fingers. Heavy and wet, the snow packed easily. Sansa began to make snowballs, shaping and smoothing them until they were round and white and perfect. She remembered a summer’s snow in Winterfell when Arya and Bran had ambushed her as she emerged from the keep one morning. They’d each had a dozen snowballs to hand, and she’d had none. Bran had been perched on the roof of the covered bridge, out of reach, but Sansa had chased Arya through the stables and around the kitchen until both of them were breathless. She might even have caught her, but she’d slipped on some ice. Her sister came back to see if she was hurt. When she said she wasn’t, Arya hit her in the face with another snowball, but Sansa grabbed her leg and pulled her down and was rubbing snow in her hair when Jory came along and pulled them apart, laughing.

Jaime also recalls snowball fights with his siblings, when he was at Riverrun and winter finally came.

Squires, stableboys, and highborn pages turned to children again under its cold white spell, and fought a snowball war up and down the wards and all along the battlements. Jaime heard them laughing. There was a time, not long ago, when he might have been out making snowballs with the best of them, to fling at Tyrion when he waddled by, or slip down the back of Cersei's gown. You need two hands to make a decent snowball, though.

Snow not only evokes memories of the past, but also creates a sense of nostalgia, not just about a place but a particular time and situation.

I couldn't have phrased that any better, Danelle. I would love if people were more into symbolism and the likes, especially in ASoIaF, there's a lot there. I just find it fun to find meaning behind images.

I agree the books are filled with strong imagery.

I don't know whether this is relevant to your topic, but I always thought that it was interesting to notice that Ned and Roose both react in an judgemental way towards Jaime.

Archived