3EC origins

The Sleeper

At their latest video discussing the last episode of the series Elio and Linda go into a bit of ground about the origins of Lord Bloodraven. At some point they mention that they had asked Martin when that character was invented and that he mentioned that he knew he was going to be associated with the Targaryens back in 1994.

I find this answer particularly interesting as I think it tells quite a bit about his plot relevance. For one thing I think house Blackwood was conceived to provide a background for Bloodraven.

My guess: it has to do with the vaunted prophesy about the prince that was promised, the war for the dawn and what could actually be what the title "a song of ice and fire" refers to in story. It also seems increasingly likely that everything the Targaryens have ever done, starting from their sigil and their presence in Westeros revolves around this prophecy. It would also account for Bloodraven's apparently willingly joining the Night's Watch, winding up hooked to a tree and waiting a couple of decades for Bran to be born.

Archived