Horn of Joramaun

Hey guys, haven't been checking the ASOIAF threads in awhile due to reading the Malazan series. Anyhow, as my username suggests, I believe Sam is in possession of the horn of Joramaun. Yes that old cracked horn giving to him by Jon, while the found the stash of obsidian. I believe he will learn what he has while he's at the Citidal.

So, my question is, does anyone have any new theories on this. Also, does anyone think Sam has it also? Thanks for the responses!

"The warhorn he had given to Sam. On closer examination the horn had proved cracked, and even after he had cleaned all the dirt out, Jon had been unable to get any sound from it. The rim was chipped as

well, but Sam liked old things, even worthless old things. “Make a drinking horn out of it,” Jon

told him, “and every time you take a drink you’ll remember how you ranged beyond the Wall, all

the way to the Fist of the First Men.”

What I find interesting about the horn is the fact that it makes no sound.

Do you think it might take a special person to make it sound?

"The warhorn he had given to Sam. On closer examination the horn had proved cracked, and even after he had cleaned all the dirt out, Jon had been unable to get any sound from it. The rim was chipped as

well, but Sam liked old things, even worthless old things. Make a drinking horn out of it, Jon

told him, and every time you take a drink youll remember how you ranged beyond the Wall, all

the way to the Fist of the First Men.

Well I don't recall anyone actually trying to blow the horn. Jon just suggested that Sam make a drinking horn out of it, What makes me think that it is the Horn of Joramaun is the FACT that on multiple occasions throughout the series, there is mention of the horn while in Sam's POV. Why? If it is really of no importance, why does GRRM continue to write about it. I mean he doesn't say anything important about it. Its just always brought up. One example off the top of my head. When Sam and Master Aemon are in Braavos, its mentioned as one of the only possessions Sam has left. That he wouldn't get anything out of it when he's thinking of ways to get passage back to WesterosWesteros.

isWest.

Eta: sorry about that last bit. Something funky going on with my delete button on my tablet

Interestingly the horn is supposed to wake giants from the earth, while Mance says it's supposed to bring down the wall. A lie from mance perhaps?

Exactly. And who know what it actually does? Its my theory, that while in Oldtown, Sam will come across some old book and figure out what he has. And will make his way back to the wall in a hurry.

I also saw a theory recently that Euron's dragonbinder is actually Joramun's horn.

I had a pretty twisted idea once that Eurons horn is Joramuns and Sams horn is actually the real Dragonbinder. Once thing for sure is that the horn has some purpose to play...

Jon must blow it and wake a giant.

So then the Others must really be sperm cells and then the snow is..........on second thought never mind ;)

I know other people have mentioned that possibility.

I also saw a theory recently that Euron's dragonbinder is actually Joramun's horn.

Nope nope nope. It's got Valyrian glyphs all over it. I'm pretty sure Joramun and his other first men didn't speak Valyrian.

The same goes for Sam's horn being a dragon binding horn and other such nonsense. That horn was found at the Fist of the First Men - a much more likely location for a Horn of Joramun than Valyria, and that ridiculously oversized horn of Euron's - you know, the one he found while sailing in and around Valyria that's covered in Valyrian script - is most likely the dragon binding horn.

Please let this wild-ass theory die a swift death.

well, but Sam liked old things, even worthless old things. “Make a drinking horn out of it,” Jon

told him, “and every time you take a drink you’ll remember how you ranged beyond the Wall, all

the way to the Fist of the First Men.”

It's a glorified direwolf whistle.

I think the horn if winter is just the horn used to sound the charge of the NW against the Others in the battle for dawn. There is a horn in the song about it, The Night that Ended. Waking the sleepers/giants is probably a misremembering of the forces of the first men being "awoken" to the threat if the Others and joining the NW. I guess as Sam has the horn it will be his job to awake the south to the threat in the north.

Archived