Wait, is Damphair really Damp Hair?

Game Of Thrones

This was mind-blowing for me as well. More so than Frey Pie. I mean, I always just read it as Dam-phair (pronounced Damfair) and never put 2 and 2 together. And it's crazy how many others did the same as well. Part of it might just be the tendency of his chapters to put me to sleep and skim through them, but still impressive how this went completely unnoticed until someone pointed it out to me.

Damphair to me was like Kettleblack. I don't know why my mind made it Dam - fair just like I don't know why my mind missed the l in KettlebLack, even though Damp hair makes more sense than Dam fair, and Kettleblack makes more sense than Kettleback. Guess I was just reading too fast and my mind skipped those things.

I also though Dam Fair was a special IB priest name I guess. Like Cardinal or Pope IRL. I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the Catholic hierarchy, just as I'm not IB and don't know theirs. I just go with things. I would think Damp Hair would be a stupid and obviously name for a drowned god priest to be called as well.

It's funny looking back at things like that though.

Because I always thought it was a special word referring to a caste of Drowned God priests, and always pronounced it 'DAHM-fair'.

Did GRRM confirm that it's Damp Hair?

Did this need confirmation? A dude whose sole purpose in life is baptize-drowning suckas, who drinks seawater, who lives in the Iron Islands, has a nonsensical name like damfair, instead of one that elicits imagery of a guy with a lot of wet hair. GRRM doesn't need to hold your hand on this one.

I don't know, King Shrewd from the Farseer Trilogy is pretty unimaginative....

The whole idea of the Six Duchies is that names = traits. :p I actually quite like it, though there are some poor ones. Shrewd I dont mind, but Prince Dutiful? And there is a novella with a Princess Cautious iirc...So yes, some irritating names, Shrewd isnt the worst though :p

The whole idea of the Six Duchies is that names = traits. :P I actually quite like it, though there are some poor ones. Shrewd I dont mind, but Prince Dutiful? And there is a novella with a Princess Cautious iirc...So yes, some irritating names, Shrewd isnt the worst though :P

Oh no it isn't bad, I just thought Hobb pulled a "hey this guy is cunning, so I will name him Shrewd, etc". I mean just imagine if Martin was like HA fooled you bastards, Jon isn't a Targ he is a Smith.....

Oh no it isn't bad, I just thought Hobb pulled a "hey this guy is cunning, so I will name him Shrewd, etc". I mean just imagine if Martin was like HA fooled you bastards, Jon isn't a Targ he is a Smith.....

:p

I quite like her naming system actually. Have you read the Willful Princess and The Piebald.Prince? It is sort of elaborated on there :)

Damphair to me was like Kettleblack. I don't know why my mind made it Dam - fair just like I don't know why my mind missed the l in KettlebLack, even though Damp hair makes more sense than Dam fair, and Kettleblack makes more sense than Kettleback. Guess I was just reading too fast and my mind skipped those things.

I also though Dam Fair was a special IB priest name I guess. Like Cardinal or Pope IRL. I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the Catholic hierarchy, just as I'm not IB and don't know theirs. I just go with things. I would think Damp Hair would be a stupid and obviously name for a drowned god priest to be called as well.

I only worked out Damphair by myself a couple of weeks ago, and only just now realised Kettleback is actually KettlebLack after reading this and I still had to go check it just to be sure (mind trick). I suppose with all the foreign names in the book I just started getting lazy and didn't look at what they really meant. Did feel pretty stupid when I realised it wasn't Dam-phair (it's so obvious).

I only worked out Damphair by myself a couple of weeks ago, and only just now realised Kettleback is actually KettlebLack after reading this and I still had to go check it just to be sure (mind trick). I suppose with all the foreign names in the book I just started getting lazy and didn't look at what they really meant. Did feel pretty stupid when I realised it wasn't Dam-phair (it's so obvious).

Some of us don't think in English :P

To much reading Fantasy, mayhaps (when one is inclined to attrubute strange phrases to have a fantastical nature)? Or do you think in your native language (I'm swedish, but I tend to think in english most of the time)?

Same here...When I saw GRRM's interview I was surprised they even asked him that...The guy has wet hair throughout the whole series

I had the exact same reaction. Before that question the thought hadn't even registered in my head, and I was totally unaware that it was something people were wondering about.

Lots of people's names aren't pronounced like the words they're composed of !!!!!

damp hair is the inside joke for readers that we all sort of smirked at, right?---it's not the real in-world pronunciation of his freakin name. I refuse to go down that road.

if the real meaning of his priest name is 'damp hair' to reflect how he's always wet from emerging out of the ocean every 15 minutes,

the pronunciation of it can still be Dam-fair, must be dam-fair, or else it's just too silly for someone who's sooooo serious to be called damp-hair! I'd lose all respect for the..... oh wait I didn't respect the character to begin with. But I at least honored his.... gravity.... as a heavy duty influence peddler.

Compromise position: he says it Dam-fair, and the people talking about him behind his back call him Damp Hair.

It's over you can't beat GRRM at his own book

Archived