Parallels between Robb Stark and Jon Snow

Ser Eric

It struck me today, while reading a Robb thread, that the parallels between Robb and Jon are very strong. It probably means nothing at all but I found it interesting nonetheless.

1. Both are raised as sons of Ned Stark. His influence in their characters is quite strong. Jon repeatedly thinks on what Ned might have done and while we don't know Robb's thoughts, his actions while viewed through Catelyn's chapters point to the same fact.

2. Both distinguish themselves in battle. Jon at the Wall and Robb at several battles in the Riverlands.

3. Both are raised to a position of leadership by their men. The Northern lords proclaim Robb as the King in the North and people at the wall (Sam) vote for Jon as the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Incidentally, neither appear to be too delighted with this and ultimately it leads to their downfall.

4. Both try to seek out each other. Jon tried to ride South with Robb when he heard abour Robb calling his banners and Robb declaed Jon as his heir. Both fail. Jon is brought back to Castle Black while the will is most likely destroyed at the Twins.

5. Both break their word/vow for a girl. Jon breaks his NW vows for Ygritte while Robb breaks his word to Walder Frey for Jeyne.

6. Both are Wargs...obviously.

7. Both are betrayed by men under them. Jon is betrayed by Bowen Marsh while Robb is betrayed by Roose Bolton.

8. Both of them ignore warning signs by their direwolves prior to their death. Ghost and Greywind are both locked away when they might have been more useful with them.

9. Before dying, their last words are names of their direwolves.

10. Both warg into their direwolves before their imminent death. Ok, this hasn't happened yet with Jon and never confirmed with Robb but I wanted to make it 10...

I don't want to stretch the parallels too much but another similarity is they are both conflicted about what to do about their captive sisters. Robb with Sansa and Jon with Arya.

The main difference between Jon and Robb is that Jon is actually one of the most important character and won't stay dead.

Also

5. Both break their word/vow for a girl. Jon breaks his NW vows for Ygritte while Robb breaks his word to Walder Frey for Jeyne.

Robb married Jeyne and died for it, Jon left Ygritte to get back to the wall.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Which oath did he break? It says take no wife(he never married Ygritte IIRC), and father no children(again IIRC she was never said to be pregnant or give birth). No where in there does it say you can't have sex.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Which oath did he break? It says take no wife(he never married Ygritte IIRC), and father no children(again IIRC she was never said to be pregnant or give birth). No where in there does it say you can't have sex.

Yeh spot on, usually it's only people who don't like Jon who say he broke his vows. And also when Jon was with Ygritte Jon was tempted to run away with Ygritte and have children. Ultimately Jon went back to the Watch but the temptation was there which is why Jon ponders his vows quite often.

I agree with you, the NW go to the brothels in Molestown, sex isn't breaking it. They didn't get married. He fell in love the same way Sam did with Gilly.

Also he was in a series of Catch 22's throughout the whole beyond the Wall. Q'horin gave him orders do whatever it took to assimilate with the Wildlings. So he was under orders as well.

I agree with you, the NW go to the brothels in Molestown, sex isn't breaking it. They didn't get married. He fell in love the same way Sam did with Gilly.

Also he was in a series of Catch 22's throughout the whole beyond the Wall. Q'horin gave him orders do whatever it took to assimilate with the Wildlings. So he was under orders as well.

Good point, but what comes first, the oath or orders?

@ OP, nice work, a lot of very direct comparisons between the two, who BTW took different paths in life but actions were very similar.

As to the now sidetracked into Jon thread, I also don't think he broke his vows, at least not any more than others have and that he has been ordered to do.

The main difference between Jon and Robb is that Jon is actually one of the most important character and won't stay dead.

Also

Robb married Jeyne and died for it, Jon left Ygritte to get back to the wall.

:agree:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always believed that the first time Jon and Ygritte had sex, Jon did it because he had no other choice, as he did it because it was his duty to his mission to ensure the trust of the free folk, as Ygritte saying they had sex when they didn't to protect him, he had no other choice. Then he found out he liked it and the following times he did it for pleasure. I've never considered he broke his vows with Ygritte, for me she was always a means to an end, but then he got attached.

Archived