Admitting Bias

Wmarshal

I think this is a really healthy thread. There are so many characters and so much drama in this series, I just love to see people admit that they are rooting for some people over others and that is doesn't have to have a basis in logic or rationality. Keep it coming, guys! MARTIN writes these books for himself and the fans, and there are so many characters and story arcs that all of is, different as we are, can identify with people, houses, geographical locations, with as much variance as possible.

What's fun, though, is trying to expand your own mind. Try to re-read and analyze characters and events and see them through the eyes of other readers or even Martin himself.

For example, I use to loathe Stannis. But there were so many fans here, I was forced to revisit this bias and confront why I felt that way. I reread his story and came to the startling conclusion that I actually respected him and am eagerly awaiting new material to reveal his fate.

Also, when I first read AFfC, I was like who needs more Iron born, I mean really? Where are my faves and why do I have to read about these pseudo-Vikings? But then, I reread and tried to put myself in their shoes and I feel very different towards them now. They still aren't a favorite, but I am fascinated by their culture and the people who survive it. Asha desires change, and she has the ear of very wise people like Rodrik. As a female reader, the idea that this warrior woman is more respected (past, present, and future) than her elder heir brother is quite interesting. And just what is Euron's plan? I can't wait to find out. I had to remove my bias glasses, though, to find joy in their chapters.

On another note, I think it's worth while to address bias on the part of us readers as it concerns real life inference and interpretation. For example, there are many people (entirely normal and sane) who abhord the way Jaime pushed Bran out the window and crippled him (death was obviously the intent). I ask myself, why do I ignore this evil? Is it because I see the value in Bran's handicap? That he could do more good for the Realm crippled than whole? Or is it because I don't judge literary crimes under the same microscope as real life? It's very thought provoking. On the bias front, I am not disturbed by Dany's crucifixion of the 163 masters in retaliation for what they did to the children. I see it as they did something evil and unnecessary towards these people who they viewed as worthless just to intimidate a woman who very well could have pardoned them if she had not been provoked. I haven't yet had a reread where I changed my position on either of these. Some feelings are very deeply held.

I definitely have a slight bias towards Stannis

I still also want Danaerys to succeed in Essos but I find it less easy to justify her actions

I'm also probably biased towards Wyman Manderly and the Northerners loyal to the starks in general. I really like the North (except boltons) But I think in Manderly's case you really have to be a little biased just to overlook the Frey pies

Robert had some sort of adoration by certain people as well. Of course, he was "adored" by the fact he was a funny drunk. I dunno know why people see this as a valuable virtue. They're only fun for a while. I wonder how many of the Stormlords were actually pleased with having him ad Liege Lord before the Rebellion.

We do know JonCon hated him even before the RR.

I don't think that Stannis or Edmure can do anything that would stop me rooting for them. On the other side of the coin I don't think that there's a way to make me like king Jon Targaryen.

For what it's worth I'd be incredibly dissapointed if we did end up with a King Jon Targaryen, but I doubt we will. That being said, I like Jon, I'm a firm believer in R+L=J, but not in King Jon being the endgame...

For what it's worth I'd be incredibly dissapointed if we did end up with a King Jon Targaryen, but I doubt we will. That being said, I like Jon, I'm a firm believer in R+L=J, but not in King Jon being the endgame...

I totally agree. I'm fine with Jon being one of the main characters responsible for the victory over the Others or something like that. Although I'm hoping that it's going to be on a smaller scale than Jon being the Messiah who saved everyone by himself.

I at times feel bias - in the form of hatred - towards Robb Stark. This is largely due to the influence of the TV show's fanbase, but it's a degree of bias worth talking about nonetheless.

My problem is I keep comparing him to Theon. I look at each character's arguable acts of betrayal, and/or disregard towards their family (or "family" in Theon's case), and/or poor judgement; each of which resulted in great harm being done. The bias level of hate - and this really is probably quite petty - happens because I look at comments on Youtube where all the GoT fans hate on Theon, calling him a terrible character and saying he deserves everything he gets, whilst meanwhile absolving Robb of any of the horrendous decisions he made. They put him on a pedestal and make out like he was Westeros' great, tragic hero.

But deep down, I know for a fact that if I was being truly objective, I wouldn't hate Robb as much as I do now because of these fans.

Nice idea for a thread btw!

(I may also love Theon way more than a person should, but this thread is about admitting bias, and I'm just not ready to admit that one yet :P)

I at times feel bias - in the form of hatred - towards Robb Stark. This is largely due to the influence of the TV show's fanbase, but it's a degree of bias worth talking about nonetheless.

My problem is I keep comparing him to Theon. I look at each character's arguable acts of betrayal, and/or disregard towards their family (or "family" in Theon's case), and/or poor judgement; each of which resulted in great harm being done. The bias level of hate - and this really is probably quite petty - happens because I look at comments on Youtube where all the GoT fans hate on Theon, calling him a terrible character and saying he deserves everything he gets, whilst meanwhile absolving Robb of any of the horrendous decisions he made. They put him on a pedestal and make out like he was Westeros' great, tragic hero.

But deep down, I know for a fact that if I was being truly objective, I wouldn't hate Robb as much as I do now because of these fans.

Nice idea for a thread btw!

(I may also love Theon way more than a person should, but this thread is about admitting bias, and I'm just not ready to admit that one yet :P)

I agree that the show fans can make you hate certain characters. Like during the season 3 days the fans made me somewhat hate Dany for thinking that she's the only "good guy" left after the Red Wedding.

I agree that the show fans can make you hate certain characters. Like during the season 3 days the fans made me somewhat hate Dany for thinking that she's the only "good guy" left after the Red Wedding.

Yeah that's a good point, too!

To an extent I guess it's down to the way the show's being done, as well. I watched the first three seasons before I started (and finished) reading the novels 1-5, and I had a similar opinion at the end of the season: "Well, it's all up to Dany now! Can't wait for her to get to Westeros and teach those jerks a lesson!"

But now I've read the books, I know a lot more about the different plots, I know more about Dany's plot, and I can now say that my previous assertions just feel really limited - for many reasons. And now, everything is so much better.

Archived