Admitting Bias

Wmarshal

I come to ask, what group or character do you feel bias towards, either support or hate?

For me LS, I ragged on Dany for child murder, and group punishment, yet for some reason, I feel a bit blinded with LS. I just get her reasoning better, and over all I think she used alot more evidence then Beric when it came to hangings.

I have no biases. I call them as I see them. And I see them as they are ... as far as I know.

I'm not trying to be arrogant or claim infallibility. But if I see things a certain way, why should I second-guess myself?

If others think I am biased, that's for them to say. Perhaps they can convince me to modify my perspective, but even after I have changed my mind, that puts me back in the same boat. I was biased before ... but now I see things differently, and as far as I know correctly.

I'm completely bias towards Arya. No matter what she does, I can dig up some way to justify it.

Me too. And the Tyrells and Edmure. They can't do no wrong.

And I'm biased against Jaime, which is weird because I used to like him, but with every re-read I hate him more

I like certain characters over others, but I'd like to think that I'm not actually biased in how I see them. Jon Snow is my favorite character, but I have criticized his character and how his chapters were written. I would be the first to tell you that his character is a trope. But I try to be fair in how I judge all of the characters and all of the writing, whether I like it or not. Same with the acting on the show.

Seeing Renly get unwarranted backlash from Stanstans has led me to become progressively more defensive when the character is concerned, to the point where I might derail a thread if something negative is said about Renly.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm biased, just that I might be a bit overzealous.

And biased towards any action Dany takes against the slavers.

Also, to anything Stannis does in order to remove the Lannisters from power.

After Feast, I favoured everything that shows that Jaime is changing.

And if Jon Connington actually tries to go and murder "the Usurper's line", I'm ready to look aside.

Littlefinger is one character who has tiptoed around being ruthless, but I have a hard time hating him.

Arya, she can do no wrong.

Robert Baratheon gets endless kudos from me.

Loras Tyrell skates around being a total ass, but I like him anyways. I'm not even sure why.

I have no biases. I call them as I see them. And I see them as they are ... as far as I know.

I'm not trying to be arrogant or claim infallibility. But if I see things a certain way, why should I second-guess myself?

If others think I am biased, that's for them to say. Perhaps they can convince me to modify my perspective, but even after I have changed my mind, that puts me back in the same boat. I was biased before ... but now I see things differently, and as far as I know correctly.

As you see them is... well, to put it bluntly biased. If the character or subject is able to be interpreted from multiple angles, and for the most part they all are, then any particular viewpoint you or someone comes up with will ultimately be subjective. To claim no bias in a subject would either mean that the person has a lack of knowledge of the subject or character at hand, or the person is somehow claiming objectivity. Don't get me wrong, being objective in any subject is almost always the aim of a person that argues a stance, but it is not feasible because no one person is capable of being objective one hundred percent. They always have some bias that plays with their message.

There is a bias that I have against the Lannisters and other characters. I know that Tywin was made as an inspiration of Edward Longshanks, but I feel that there is a rebuke that GRRM put into his character. That being don't violate Machiavelli's principle to avoid incurring hate.

I'm negatively biased against Robert. I admit he's not a bad man, and I suppose some people might find him funny and entertaining but he's, for me, the main cause of many wrongs. Since his stupid and superficial love for Lyanna which entitled him to go and kill Rhaegar and allow Tywin getting away from butcher the Targaryen kids, until his laziness in ruling and being a bad husband which caused a rupture between him and Cersei that developed into full hatred that caused his doom.

I'm also biased of course, but not necessarily towards "good" characters. I don't have personal symphathy or apathy against anyone, but there are certain characters I find intriiguing and interesting, like Roose Bolton or Theon for example. Those are certainly not the nicest guy, but I root for them due to their interesting characters.

I really don't get it when someone says something like "How can you like this douchbag Theon? Have you forgotten how he betrayed the Starks?" - Well, of course I haven't, but that's part of why I like him.

I'm negatively biased against Robert. I admit he's not a bad man, and I suppose some people might find him funny and entertaining but he's, for me, the main cause of many wrongs. Since his stupid and superficial love for Lyanna which entitled him to go and kill Rhaegar and allow Tywin getting away from butcher the Targaryen kids, until his laziness in ruling and being a good husband which caused a rupture between him and Cersei that developed into full hatred that caused his doom.

Heh.

I'm not exactly a fan of Robert either, but Aerys calling for his head is what eventually caused the death of Rhae-Rhae, and I wouldn't blame Tywin's desire to ingratiate himself with the Throne on Robert either.

As a King though, pure garbage.

I'm negatively biased against Robert. I admit he's not a bad man, and I suppose some people might find him funny and entertaining but he's, for me, the main cause of many wrongs. Since his stupid and superficial love for Lyanna which entitled him to go and kill Rhaegar and allow Tywin getting away from butcher the Targaryen kids, until his laziness in ruling and being a bad husband which caused a rupture between him and Cersei that developed into full hatred that caused his doom.

Oh me too and I can admit that I unfairly blame him for the corruption that was his court, Stannis, Tywin, The Hound, Kevan, Lancel, Blackfish, etc.... are others I'm biased against sometimes but I have a great reason to be

This makes no sense. But then again, I'm biased for Robert.

Archived