Admitting Bias

Wmarshal

Interesting question.

I am biased towards: Tyrion, Dany, Jorah, Jon, Arya, and Rhaegar for the most part.

I am biased against: Cersei and Mel.

For the rest of the POV characters, I either like them (but not enough to count as a bias) or am neutral towards them and it comes down to which book I'm reading. Sansa, for example, I liked quite a bit in the last half of ASOS and all of AFFC, but couldn't stand her in aGoT.

Interesting question.

I am biased towards: Tyrion, Dany, Jorah, Jon, Arya, and Rhaegar for the most part.

I am biased against: Cersei and Mel.

For the rest of the POV characters, I either like them (but not enough to count as a bias) or am neutral towards them and it comes down to which book I'm reading. Sansa, for example, I liked quite a bit in the last half of ASOS and all of AFFC, but couldn't stand her in aGoT.

I think that's probably how she is supposed to be :dunno: Insufferable eleven year old with a head filled full of fancies goes through an awful hell and grows as a character.

I think that's probably how she is supposed to be :dunno: Insufferable eleven year old with a head filled full of fancies goes through an awful hell and grows as a character.

Exactly. A trait she shares with Theon. Those two are clearly written in the first book so as for the reader to not get a sympathetic view. Then GRRM, true to his style turns right around in the later books and flips that upside-down.

Thing is, some readers never quite get over the first impression they get of characters.

ETA: Tyrion and Dany are examples of the contrary, characters who are sympathetic when introduced, but turn in less sympathetic ways. These are generally afforded much more leeway in the judgement of their later acts, from what I see on social media.

Exactly. A trait she shares with Theon. Those two are clearly written in the first book so as for the reader to not get a sympathetic view. Then GRRM, true to his style turns right around in the later books and flips that upside-down.

Thing is, some readers never quite get over the first impression they get of characters.

I agree with this

I justify the actions of Arya, LS and Wyman Manderly because the Starks and other northerners have been so hard done by that they deserve some vengeance.

But I hold a grudge against Stannis for not siding with the Starks in ACoK and his general judgemental attitude towards Robb. Although I recognise he has redeeming qualities, I just can't forgive him for this. Similarly, I can't forgive Jaime for throwing Bran out a window or Melisandre for killing Renly and Cortnay Penrose. But then I'm just about willing to forgive Sandor for killing Mycah. Just about. But only because he shows remorse.

Basically, I'm biased towards the Starks. I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I also like to think I'm not blind to their faults. I just forgive them.

One I feel weirdest about is the Renly/Stannis dynamic.

Before I discovered this site I was pretty even, probably a titch towards Stannis. I'm a Ricardian, and so the comparative dynamics had me a bit predisposed to sympathizing with GRRM's kinda version.

But, apologies, the degree to which many in here are blatantly hypocritical and 'because:Stannis' about the issue annoyed me so much...and I'm a contrarian anyways...that I increasingly found myself arguing for Renly. Over time I even felt my sympathies shift, which is what I feel weird about. When I get back to the actual book material or when I hear GRRM express scorn for the 'Mannis' version many in here created, I get closer to being grounded and even handed again, but when I'm in discussion in here i definitely find myself prone to defending Renly.

Edit; only in terms of rationale for argument/debate/blame/merit.

I would rather live in a Kingdom with Renly as King, but I would rather read about one lead by Stannis. I find Renly objectively better/smarter/more suited, but Stannis more entertaining.

One I feel weirdest about is the Renly/Stannis dynamic.

Before I discovered this site I was pretty even, probably a titch towards Stannis. I'm a Ricardian, and so the comparative dynamics had me a bit predisposed to sympathizing with GRRM's kinda version.

But, apologies, the degree to which many in here are blatantly hypocritical and 'because:Stannis' about the issue annoyed me so much...and I'm a contrarian anyways...that I increasingly found myself arguing for Renly. Over time I even felt my sympathies shift, which is what I feel weird about. When I get back to the actual book material or when I hear GRRM express scorn for the 'Mannis' version many in here created, I get closer to being grounded and even handed again, but when I'm in discussion in here i definitely find myself prone to defending Renly.

It's like someone else typing my own thoughts. This forum gave me much more sympathy to Renly

Also, I actually liked Stannis until I came to the forums :lol:

After a nice nap, I think I have some more biases to own up to. :D

Ironborn. I hate anything to do with them and will never understand what people think they're seeing in them... except for Asha. Know why?

"Her cunt became the world."

This one line wins me over to Asha because of one, it's sheer absurdity of phrasing, and two, how epic it sounds coming from a female. Ironically, even though this was a playful rape scene between her and Qarl, she owned the fuck out of it and had a good time in a way that I think more female characters should have. In a way she's an inspiration to all women. Plus, when I see this image I find it a bit mean and actually like Gemma's Yara. She's got the edge and I think the right figure. Not hourglass. Stout and kickass.

Not sure if this is "towards" but I'll often "defend" Cersei against the charges of being worse than Jaime and a manipulator of him. He was no victim of her. He thought with his cock. Cersei thought with her flower and her head, knowing that if she's going to love Jaime she might as get some use from him. Is that love? Why not?

But I'd still love to see her head roll... preferable with Jaime... their heads will roll together in the basket below the guillotine and the Game of Thrones episode will end with a heart zoom in. :love:

Huge bias against Pycelle, i was cheering for Cersei every time she insulted/humiliated him, especially when he was right. That's what you get for serving the Lannisters over all others, you shameful display of a maester, haha. I just love the thought of him knowing that he's partially brought this on himself. Oh yes.

I rather liked Pycelle, he was a loyal man to the end. His motivations to help House Lannister seem selfless as well, it's not like he gains anything from it.

Pycelle never raped anyone, nor did he engage in incest as far as we know.

He's nowhere near Craster's level.

I think PoV bias might be getting to you, because nowhere near as bad as people represent him.

Pycelle never raped anyone, nor did he engage in incest as far as we know.

He's nowhere near Craster's level.

I think PoV bias might be getting to you, because nowhere near as bad as people represent him.

You are overlooking THE central issue: treatment of Shireen. Neither, so far as we know, interacted with Shireen at all, hence they are substantially the same character.

Archived