Survivor: San Juan del Sur

awesome possum

China was great. Fei Long is one of my favorite ever starting tribes. Todd Herzog, Amanda Kimmel, Courtney Yates, James Clement (all on their original seasons), Jean-Robert Bellande, Denise Martin. Was such a great dynamic. And Zhan Hu was so dysfunctional and confrontational that is created a really good balance.

I've planned to do 6 rewatches from the beginning of survivor 29 to the beginning of survivor 30 seasons. Borneo (currently), Marquesas, Amazon, Samoa (done), Nicaragua, One World (done). The first 3 because they represent groundbreaking initiatives on strategy that shaped the modern game. The last 3 because they are considered poor strategic seasons and I wanted to try and improve my impressions of them.

Thanks for that link AP.

What I found interesting in that is Josh really wanted people to know that Missy was a horrible person on the island (i mean he can only answer the questions he was asked, but he didn't hold back his opinions) but when he was pushed further to elaborate on why Missy was such a terrible person, he said Missy doesn't like gay Christians (I doubt that), she called Reed a liar (it's Survivor, and he did), she gave Baylor extra rice (not exactly evil behavior), and that she treated everyone not in her alliance rudely (In the AMA Josh threw shade on Jeremy, Natalie, Missy, Baylor, Jaclyn - surprise surprise the people not in his alliance)

I'm no great fan of Missy or anything and by the sounds of it a few more people didn't like her than was shown, but to me Josh & Reed are coming out of it looking worse than her with all their hating.

If what Josh was saying is true, he has plenty of reason to dislike her. But we'll likely never know. What I think of is Jeremy nodding his head as Reed was in the middle of his speech, like, "damn that's harsh. True but harsh." Of course, they always splice reactions in from various points as they see fit so that might not have happened in time. Kelley and Dale - who also had their run in with Missy - both put their hands on Reed's shoulder for support when he said he wouldn't apologize.

But we'll never know and I'm glad. The edit showing what a villain Missy was acting like would have made the season a little better but after the way Dawn, Monica and Kass were all treated on social media (I believe Dawn had to deactivate her twitter for a while because of actual death threats after she blindsided Brenda) just for playing the game and voting out fan favorites, I can't imagine the backlash Missy would have gotten. And seeing as how she's a cheerleading coach who runs her own business, she could have potentially been ruined if they'd have shown those things which necessarily don't indicate what type of person she is outside the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished rewatching seasons 1 to 5. While it was an awesome experience, I have to admit to a few disappointments:

• I was once again reminded just what a boring winner Ethan Zohn was [Amanda Kimmel could have beaten him in that final tribal council]. And he was possibly every editor's nightmare. I have no idea how he won. I honestly hope to get a deleted scenes kind of deal one of these days so that I can finally understand.
  • Thailand...by the gods, the cast was so horrible. The only person I actually liked was Shii-Ann. Even this season's rendition of Ancient Voices was absolute horror. In the end I only liked Shii-Ann and the challenges.
  • Africa again: Silas and the other younger Samburu members...it makes no sense to play that way. No sense at all.

That said, rating the seasons:

1. Heroes vs. Villains - the cast [sans Russell] was a joy to watch
  2. Australia - Alicia, Elisabeth, Donaldson, Tina, Amber, Skupin...all in the same season. Just TV gold.
  3. Marquesas - the people at the bottom of the pyramid got together and dethroned the kings and queens at the top with such beauty and perfection. Plus we had a woman peeing on a man's hand. Plus we had Sean narrating Sarah's Cleopatra-esque entrance. Plus we had amazing challenges. The crowning jewel was Vecepia's game and win.
  4. Africa - some of the greatest reward challenges I've seen on the show. The tribes interacted with the people of Kenya and the challenges were really awesome. This season also featured my favourite rendition of Ancient Voices.
  5. Borneo - Pagong! Aside from Saeson 20's heroes, my favourite starting tribe from all the seasons.

Special mention to Micronesia, Tocantins and Nicaragua. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Archived