On the subject of the Skagosi

James Steller

We know little of the people of Skagos. I've always imagined them being more similar to the Thenns than the rest of the North, based on nothing more than house Magnar. As far as rumors of cannibalism goes, what better way to protect your shores than play the part of the savage and ruthless cannibals.

As we know nothing about the Skagosi, there's really no knowing if they'll fight for the Starks. The evidence so far suggests no but maybe having the Lord of Winterfell and his direwolf to visit will persuade them to fight. That or the Others.

More likely a combination of the two plus the wildling woman seems pretty loyal to the Starks, she might help convince them.

Look at the map. Look at the top half of Skagos. It extends North of the Wall. What is going to happen to the sea around it once Winter sets in properly? It is going to freeze. That means Skagos will be connected to the Haunted Forest. And that means the Others have free access to the entire island.

Now, much like the wildlings, that HAS to be a huge motivator for the entire Skagosi population to migrate South. They can either do that by trying to make war on the entire mainland North in the middle of Winter, or they can do that by following the heir to Winterfell as his personal bannermen.

In truth, there is no other option for their survival.

And then we have the little hint from Roose that only the Heart Trees know what happens on Skagos. Suggesting that they are rather close to the religion of the Old Gods. So all we need is an actual living Old God (read Bran) to speak to them through a weirwood tree, explaining their peril, and the way out of it, and they will be gathering in their thousands to follow Rickon.

Furthermore, Bran knows where Rickon is, since even Ghost knew where Shaggy was when he killed the Unicorn. So Bran can orchestrate these events through the weirnet exactly as he wants it to play out.

Look at the map. Look at the top half of Skagos. It extends North of the Wall. What is going to happen to the sea around it once Winter sets in properly? It is going to freeze. That means Skagos will be connected to the Haunted Forest. And that means the Others have free access to the entire island.

Now, much like the wildlings, that HAS to be a huge motivator for the entire Skagosi population to migrate South. They can either do that by trying to make war on the entire mainland North in the middle of Winter, or they can do that by following the heir to Winterfell as his personal bannermen.

In truth, there is no other option for their survival.

And then we have the little hint from Roose that only the Heart Trees know what happens on Skagos. Suggesting that they are rather close to the religion of the Old Gods. So all we need is an actual living Old God (read Bran) to speak to them through a weirwood tree, explaining their peril, and the way out of it, and they will be gathering in their thousands to follow Rickon.

Furthermore, Bran knows where Rickon is, since even Ghost knew where Shaggy was when he killed the Unicorn. So Bran can orchestrate these events through the weirnet exactly as he wants it to play out.

A spoiler tag would of been nice, not everyone has read the sample chapters. On a side note, if the Others can just invade Skagos, does that mean the Wall's protection doesn't extend that far? And if not, then why would the Others even bother with the Wall?

A spoiler tag would of been nice, not everyone has read the sample chapters. On a side note, if the Others can just invade Skagos, does that mean the Wall's protection doesn't extend that far? And if not, then why would the Others even bother with the Wall?

I didn't use spoiler tags because I didn't use any reference from the Winds of Winter. All of the above is based on events up to Dance with Dragons.

As for Skagos and the Wall. I guess that the sea only freezes North of the Wall. Meaning that the ice packs don't extend to the bottom half of Skagos. Hence Skagos cannot be used to circumvent the Wall.

The problem of transportation could be solved in 3 possible ways imo.

1. The bay freazes and they march across.

2. The Manderly fleet (this could take a while, but maybe ravens can help)

3. The way we assume they killed of The Skane, lots of rowboats I imagine.

I still doubt about who they are loyal to, Starks or themselfs/wildlings.

But I just hope they follow the wolfcub!

That's an interesting idea, the bay freezing. Maybe Davos crossing the frozen water works as a parallel to his liege lord's battle in the snow and ice outside Winterfell.

At the time that Davos is on Skagos, Jon's fleet is still at Hardhome. So clearly the sea is far from freezing. It isn't going to be frozen solid anytime soon, hence Rickon will be coming back by ship.

Good point. In any case I hope Davos and Rickon both make it back okay

I would say Osha has visited there before. Wildlings seeking passage south maybe welcome and Osha has told them about the White Walkers. The Skagosi are really interesting in my eyes. Id view them like the Ironborn,smallish island and very compact but they have their own fighting style,culture and such. If they went out and fought some men with real armour and steel on themselves they would do very,very well. I see The Others making a unexpected invasion on there very early on and no one knows except Davos,Osha and Rickon. The Skagosi will hold them off in a very well fought battle but Valar Morghulis,right?

Archived