how can they not do the Manderly sub plot

RSMITTY7640

My guess is based from the advice of Jon, Stannis will allow the wildlings through the wall and strike a deal to either be prisoners or fight in his army, and also learns the true enemy (wights) are coming anytime now, and between that and dealing with the Boltons he will need all the man power possible. So for Stannis giving them safe passage they will just have to agree to join his army, and Mance is smart enough to know that they are getting a great deal. Not being prisoners nor left north of the wall with wights coming.

It will also be easier to keep characters like Tormund and Mance around instead of introducing another new character like Manderly. It will also make it easier for non book readers to follow.

I also sort of guess that Rickon ends up with Brienne (example) or someone else other than Davos going on his Skagos mission, I think Davos stays by Stannis as a voice of reason and also to protect Shireen. Being no Patch Face either, Davos will most likely stay at the wall as the main Stannis rep, and keep his eyes on Mel and Shireen. Especially with Stannis going to war I feel he would be much more comfortable with Davos at the wall and being his eyes and ears

I don't see how they're going to do this w/o Lord Manderly he has a significant role in almost everything that's going on/about to go down in the North including sending Davos on his mission and bringing Rickon back into the story in what I'm sure is a pretty big way

They can probably replace him with the Umbers. It's also possible to do it without Manderly or any replacement. Jon and Sam know that Bran is alive and Jon and Tormund saw Shaggydog and Summer at the windmill, so it's reasonable to assume that Rickon and Bran split up at the windmill because Sam saw only Summer at the Nightfort. Sam and/or Jon can tell this to Davos who can go after Rickon with the Watch's/Stannis' best trackers.

They can probably replace him with the Umbers. It's also possible to do it without Manderly or any replacement. Jon and Sam know that Bran is alive and Jon and Tormund saw Shaggydog and Summer at the windmill, so it's reasonable to assume that Rickon and Bran split up at the windmill because Sam saw only Summer at the Nightfort. Sam and/or Jon can tell this to Davos who can go after Rickon with the Watch's/Stannis' best trackers.

Yea I guess, D&D will pull a rabbit from some hat I'm sure but Lord Too Fat To Sit A Horse is just awesome no?

Yea I guess, D&D will pull a rabbit from some hat I'm sure but Lord Too Fat To Sit A Horse is just awesome no?

He is. I'd much rather have Manderly over the Umbers. However I must admit that the Umbers might work better in the show than Manderly. The Greatjon was the most prominent Stark bannerman in Season 1, Rickon and Osha were heading for the Last Hearth, the Last Hearth is reasonably close to Castle Black, Salla is actually getting paid in the show...

He is. I'd much rather have Manderly over the Umbers. However I must admit that the Umbers might work better in the show than Manderly. The Greatjon was the most prominent Stark bannerman in Season 1, Rickon and Osha were heading for the Last Hearth, the Last Hearth is reasonably close to Castle Black, Salla is actually getting paid in the show...

And who knows maybe they'll change Alys Karstark to Alys Umber lol but they'll probably just drop that storyline all together

The Davos stuff is most likely cut out, sucks and i'm not really going to get my hopes up that we see him at all this season...

I still think he will have a good chunk of scenes with Stannis/Mel and even Shireen at the wall. Maybe Mel will see Rickon in her flames or some shit, or someone gets word to the wall where Rickon is and Stannis sends Davos and some soldiers to retrieve him

I am convinced that they will give a number of the sub plots devices to existing cast. They will not want to introduce too many new actors in the final three seasons. In season 4 they gave Theon a line that wasn't in the books "my real father died in kings landing". If they follow through with Theons rescue of you know who then to continue his redemption why not set up Theon with scheming to get the Starks back in power in the North.

I am convinced that they will give a number of the sub plots devices to existing cast. They will not want to introduce too many new actors in the final three seasons. In season 4 they gave Theon a line that wasn't in the books "my real father died in kings landing". If they follow through with Theons rescue of you know who then to continue his redemption why not set up Theon with scheming to get the Starks back in power in the North.

Interesting. The problem I see with this is that it assumes that Theon doesn't do much of anything past where the books have ended thus far. Another issue is Theon's reputation in the North is horrible. I am not sure what use he could be at getting the Starks back in power. Identifying them seems to be the only useful thing he could do.

Interesting. The problem I see with this is that it assumes that Theon doesn't do much of anything past where the books have ended thus far. Another issue is Theon's reputation in the North is horrible. I am not sure what use he could be at getting the Starks back in power. Identifying them seems to be the only useful thing he could do.

So maybe he does it anonymously then. Almost like a hooded man/"ghost in Winterfell." :ph34r:

Archived