Inspiration for Aegon the conqueror - a question

Coluber

I honestly don't know if anyone has asked this before, so please forgive me if I repeat someone else's post unintentionally. Anyhoo, I've read a lot on the internet about Aegon the conqueror being inspired by good old William the Bastard of Normandy. For a while, I've accepted that - and then I bought this book called An Alternative History of Britain - The Anglo Saxon Age, by Timothy Venning, and reading it brought back to mind another king of England, famous for having conquered it - Canute, or as some would call him, Cnut. Anyway, from what I've read (in Venning's book and beyond), Cnut conquered England, but kept most of it's institutions intact, with most English lords keeping their titles and lands. William on the other hand, completely destroyed the status quo, dividing up the big earldoms that Cnut had allowed to stay intact amongst his own followers, and depriving most of the English nobility of what they had had before. Considering that Aegon allowed each of the Seven Kingdoms to exist, rather than dividing them up, with former kings becoming Lords and Wardens, not losing their position except for having to admit authority from someone higher up, shouldn't he be seen more as Cnut? And if so, will the next king (or queen) of the Seven Kingdoms be more like William, and divide each of the former kingdoms into smaller blocks in order to minimize rebellion?

Archived