ASOIAF similar fantasy series?

Stark Supporter

Well, technically, one is not more coherent and believable than the other...

Should Pacific Rim be considered as fantasy? I don't see how giant sea creatures coming from the center of the earth should be less fantastic than dragons.

Aliens are creatures from outer space, using technology and science, not magic.

Fantasy is a rather vague term and your definition is sadly not correct.

It is the admitted definition for the difference between fantastic and fantasy. And fantasy is a genre that was born pulling itself apart from fantastic. Some things may be considered fantasy that do not fit in this definition, but it is the original one.

This is genuinely the first time I've heard someone claim that fantastic and fantasy are something different. I'd love to know where you get your 'admitted' (I'm assuming there's a language mix-up there and you probably mean 'accepted', but not sure) definition from, but it's definitely not the one everyone else is working from.

By your definition, Harry Potter isn't a fantasy series.

Not all of it, but some. Very realistic anticipation novels and space operas where technology is believable is still science-fiction, but I would put Star Wars in the fantasy box at least if not more than in the science fiction box.

Maybe fantasy and fantastic are different in French literature only (which I doubt) but they teach this definition in school.

What is YOUR definition of fantasy?

Well, there are actually academics that differentiate between fantastic literature and fantasy literature. I would argue that this is because many people look down at the fantasy genre, but what do I know?

While the borders between fantasy, horror and science fiction are really blurry, I recognize them as different genres. But I will never differentiate between fantastic and fantasy.

Not all of it, but some. Very realistic anticipation novels and space operas where technology is believable is still science-fiction, but I would put Star Wars in the fantasy box at least if not more than in the science fiction box.

Star Wars is fantasy, isn't that the consensus?

While the borders between fantasy, horror and science fiction are really blurry, I recognize them as different genres. But I will never differentiate between fantastic and fantasy.

That difference was made very clear in my literature classes when I was twelve. Fantastic is when fantastical elements crop up inexplicably in our realistic world. Fantasy is when fantastic elements are part of the inner coherence of the world itself, were it an imaginary world or New-York city.

Fantastic and horror (I would not be qualified as to whether there is a difference between those two, there maybe is but I don't like either so I'm not interested in knowing it). Definitely not fantasy, except maybe for some of Lovecraft, I don't know all of his works.

Poe is 100% fantastic though.

Star Wars is fantasy, isn't that the consensus?

It's definitely not the consensus (many people will label anything with spaceships in as sci-fi automatically), but much of Space Opera falls into that blurred area between them anyway. Star Wars is definitely on the far-fantasy end of it (it opens with a fairytale wording, ffs), though.

Maybe fantasy and fantastic are different in French literature only (which I doubt) but they teach this definition in school.

Wikipedia tells me that this is in fact exactly the case. That is to say, it acknowledges the existence of something called 'the fantastic' in English but seems rather unclear on what it actually is (though mostly seems to depend on being unsure about whether something is supernatural or rational) or if anyone outside of one guy actually uses the term, whereas 'fantastique' is a different concept and a genre specifically within French fiction.

Your definition of 'fantastic' also overlaps heavily with magical realism as I understand the term.

This really is hairsplitting. Call it what you like. :D

This is like discussing if a metal band belongs to the folk, pagan, viking, celtic, [...] category.

We don't have any magical realism in French literature. Must be why the terms are different.

Well, there is an entry in the french wiki...

Archived