Six Pups in the Snow: A Direwolves Reread

I find the fact that Jon. "heard " ghost interesting because it's the only time ghost makes a noise, and even bran says jon was hearing something he himself couldn't hear. Supports the warging connection I think.

I think this was the first warg connection. Jon tells everyone how silent Ghost is. He never makes a noise, nevers makes a sound, etc. Jon has never said "except for the one time when I found him".

Arya I

The wolf pup loved her, even if no one else did.

I feel sad every time I read that part. I think Arya is really lonely. Yes she loves Jon, but I guess what deep within she wishes for a female friend who does understand her. Even in company with her brothers she will always be different (obvious, she's female), so Nymeria fits this gap.

Nymeria stalked closer on wary feet. Ghost, already larger than his litter mates, {...}

Wrt leadership. Somehow I see here the competition of Robb and Jon (Jon mentions it later in the book). Both are leaders for the younger siblings yet during ACOK and ASOS Sansa always refers to Robb while Arya reminds herself of Jon. So one day their path may be similar to the path of their chosen leaders. Bran and Rickon have not chosen at this point. Bran and Rickon seem to be somewhere in the middle. Maybe because their path is something complete different with Bran as greenseer and Rickon amongst the Skagosi (sorry for jumping forward)

At this point readers have had only an abridged version of the story of Nymeria, Princess of the Rhoyne. As you point out, it's possible that the scandal about the name of Arya's direwolf is just that the legendary Princess was not very ladylike, so Septa Mordane would not approve. My guess is that Septa Mordane would be mortified by the idea of girls having pet direwolves in the first place. The wiki indicates that there is a book called The Loves of Queen Nymeria (AFFC, Chap. 40). Since we are told only that the Princess married a Dornish lord, maybe the scandal will be in the details of her love life outside of this Dornish alliance. Perhaps we will learn more about the scandalous nature of the story in a later sequel when some character will tell a version of the tale that includes more details.

Yes I guess too, that it was the Septa who made an issue to the name, but I don't think it had anything to do with Nymerias lovelife. I mean Arya is nine years old at this point, so she's far away from having sex and birthing children. I guess it is just the matter of Nymerias independence. The north differs from other parts of the kingdom but women never have the same rights as they have in Dorne. I mean, even the wild and "boyish" Lyanna had never the chance to be a fighter like for example Obara.

Bran II

I think the choosing of the direwolves names is interesting and it tells us a lot of their owners self-perseption. When I remember back to my nieces behavior ten years ago. She was three years old and back then I told my brother that his girl will always be touchy, now she's thirteen and every day it get's worse. What do I want to say. A persons character is visible even at young age. So how do they see them self?

Robb - Grey Wind: As often referred, words are wind. Robb is calling his wolf Grey Wind, because he rans so fast. Fast was also Robb's reign as King in the North.

Jon - Ghost: A ghost is a part of a dead person, which still resides in the world of the living. And (given that R+L=J) that he is. Jon seems to live in a world he doesn't belong to. To stop being a ghost he has to know the truth.

Sansa - Lady: What should I say. She is born for that and she's good at it. I don't see a problem with that. As we say in german: Eine Dame geniesst und schweigt. :smoking:

Arya - Nymeria: The wolfsblood is calling. Obvious Arya doesn't want to follow the expected role model and it is a great scandal (for some...) but we all know, it fits.

Rickon - Shaggydog: Well there are not too many passages about Rickon but I think this name is chosen good as well. Rickons behavior somehow really reminds me of a shaggy beast (a little bit like Wun Wun)

Bran - still uncertain, nothing feels right: Bran is 7. He tells himself, that he is almost a grown man, but he is far away from that. On the other side he is not as young as Rickon. So he is somehow lost between Robb and Jon on one side and Rickon on the other side (and girls are only girls, so they don't count... ^_^). He needs more time to figure out, who he is, and the question about that will take him on a long journey.

Tyrion I

There is nothing I can add right now, but on a sidenote. I never realized before, that the Starks own old Valyrian scrolls and I wonder who brought them to Winterfell.

Tyrion I

There is nothing I can add right now, but on a sidenote. I never realized before, that the Starks own old Valyrian scrolls and I wonder who brought them to Winterfell.

Interesting find! Now what in the world would WF want with old Valyrian scrolls? Didn't Rhaegar Targaryen read the prophecy in scrolls?

Guys, I really like this thread .. I'm still only about 2/3 of the way through the first page and won't tbe able to read more until much later tonight . In the meantime, a thought leaps out at me ( and excuse me ,if it's already been mentioned ). If I can, I'd like to take it back to Ghost getting the better of the huge black bitch at the feast. Generally, in mythology,a black dog often is connected with death. In AsoIaF, note the skinny black dog Tyrion observes loitering around Joffrey's corpse.

Naturally (obsessed as I am) and considering the strength-lending aspect of the direwolf bond,which seems to work both ways.. Summer to Bran and later Jon to Ghost (when Ghost is injured ) ... I see this as a possible prediction of who gets the upper hand following the events of Jon's last ADWD chapter.

Ghost denies the black bitch her meal.

Welcome! :)

Fantastic observation! Needless to say, with this interpretation I absolutely love the foreshadowing potential of the scene.

Now I wonder whether this symbolism has anything to do with Shaggydog being a black dog. :worried:

Yes, this seems to be the moment everyone points to as proof of the direwolves ability to sense danger. I still have a few questions about this though. First, why is Summer warning Bran about this? Remember if Bran hadn't fallen, he would've gone to Kings Landing with Ned and his sisters. If he had gone to Kings Landing, Bran probably wouldn't have gone to find the Three Eyed Crow. Why would Summer try to prevent with that? The best explanation that I've been able to come up with is that I have to remember that the direwolves and Bloodraven are separate entities, even if Bloodraven sent the wolves and may be warging them. While Bloodraven may have plans for the Starks, the direwolves will be doing to their best to protect the Starks from danger even if it's against Bloodraven's interest for them to do so. The second thing that nags me is timing. But I think I'll wait for Sansa I to go into detail about timing when I'll be able to compare Summer and Nymeria's actions.

Describing Tyrion as "wolfish" is GRRM being deceptive and foreshadowing at the same time. It's deceptive because it lures us into thinking Tyrion could be an ally to the Starks. However, it foreshadows that Tyrion will become an enemy to Cersei and Jaime.

I agree that the direwolves and Bloodraven are separate entities. Beyond that, I confess that even though it is very exciting to discover Bloodraven behind certain things, I'm not a fan of the idea that Bloodraven is behind everything that can possibly happen in the North or that he designs every sequence of events in the story well in advance and with mathematical precision. Of course, Bran could have died in the South, but he could also have made it back to the North. I think Bran's fall could easily have been mortal, too, and he could have died even after that, so Summer's anxiety is, IMO, perfectly justified. Did Jaime push Bran because Bloodraven wanted him to (perhaps even warged him?) or because Catelyn had prayed to the Seven for a chance to keep Bran at home or because of what Jaime was and what he decided to do? What happened was the result of several factors, and it seems that both Summer and Bloodraven had their parts to play, but so did Jaime, and perhaps even Catelyn. Although Bloodraven is probably doing his best to influence events, the story is more, because it must be more, than just Bloodraven's puppet show. The various characters do what they do of their own free will

It's a very apt observation of the deceptive use of wolfish. GRRM is tricky. Well spotted!

What I find curious about the Nymeria and Ghost relationship is that they appear to be the Alpha male and female of the pack. Ned said in the scene where he kills Lady that she was the smallest of the litter and Sansa choose well when naming her. Then there is the reaction of the Wolves when Ghost is not present. It's Summer that starts the trouble with Tyrion and the Wolves. Then Grey wind picks up the distress followed by Rickon. The trouble only stops when Summer not Grey wind is called away. Which in my mind makes Summer Ghost's second in command. The fact that Ghost choose Jon and Jon heard Ghost(the only sound Ghost has ever made) suggest that Jon is the strongest warg while Bran is the strongest greenseer which is true as its through his POV that we first meet the wolves, its through his eyes that we see everyone's reaction. The perfect setup or introduction to Bran being a background player or watcher to Jon and Robb's more active role in the power struggles that the Starks will eventrually face.

What's also interesting is that if you study wolf behavior, Nymeria's reaction to Ghost is that of subservenace, which we never get to see with the other wolves. When Jon left and talks with Robb on his way north, we don't get to see an interaction between Grey Wind and Ghost, because I'm thinking GRRM didn't want to give anything way about Ghost being the Alpha between the behavior of the wolves. I know we aren't there yet but look at the dream scene between Jon and Bran in the tree. It's Ghost the makes the call or starts singing to the moon and then Bran answers, just like a good little second. The Alpha speaks the second answers. Then it's interesting that out of all the wolves, its Ghost that knows where his other litter mates are. Ghost felt the rain lashing down on Shaggy Dog on Skagosi, he could hear Nymeria and her pack singing to the moon and tastes both the kills they had made, while feeling and knowing that it was colder where Summer was because he smelt the summer(season) feel off of Summer(the wolf not the season). Interesting note, Ghost without being told that lady is dead knows she is, so the question becomes who is the other wolf that he know longer can sense. Also, another thing that points the Bran not bein the strongest Warg but Jon is, that Bran after his conversation with Robb in the winterfell crypts(dream SOS), he mentions that he's unsure as to whether GW is still alive, then when they are beyond the wall he mentions all of the wolf names besides Lady and says Ghost's name twice and ask Summer if he remembered Ghost(Jon). The conversation could almost read like this do you remember our alpha remember our alpha (replaced alpha with Ghost).

THose are just some of my thoughts. Also interesting is that Jon unlike both Bran and Arya he doesn't seem to have to be asleep or actually out of his body to bond and warg ghost. In Dance jon mentions that it was like he and ghost were becoming one even while awake. Several scenes in Dance suggest that they are one and the same.

What I find curious about the Nymeria and Ghost relationship is that they appear to be the Alpha male and female of the pack. Ned said in the scene where he kills Lady that she was the smallest of the litter and Sansa choose well when naming her. Then there is the reaction of the Wolves when Ghost is not present. It's Summer that starts the trouble with Tyrion and the Wolves. Then Grey wind picks up the distress followed by Rickon. The trouble only stops when Summer not Grey wind is called away. Which in my mind makes Summer Ghost's second in command. The fact that Ghost choose Jon and Jon heard Ghost(the only sound Ghost has ever made) suggest that Jon is the strongest warg while Bran is the strongest greenseer which is true as its through his POV that we first meet the wolves, its through his eyes that we see everyone's reaction. The perfect setup or introduction to Bran being a background player or watcher to Jon and Robb's more active role in the power struggles that the Starks will eventrually face. What's also interesting is that if you study wolf behavior, Nymeria's reaction to Ghost is that of subservenace, which we never get to see with the other wolves. When Jon left and talks with Robb on his way north, we don't get to see an interaction between Grey Wind and Ghost, because I'm thinking GRRM didn't want to give anything way about Ghost being the Alpha between the behavior of the wolves. I know we aren't there yet but look at the dream scene between Jon and Bran in the tree. It's Ghost the makes the call or starts singing to the moon and then Bran answers, just like a good little second. The Alpha speaks the second answers. Then it's interesting that out of all the wolves, its Ghost that knows where his other litter mates are. Ghost felt the rain lashing down on Shaggy Dog on Skagosi, he could hear Nymeria and her pack singing to the moon and tastes both the kills they had made, while feeling and knowing that it was colder where Summer was because he smelt the summer(season) feel off of Summer(the wolf not the season). Interesting note, Ghost without being told that lady is dead knows she is, so the question becomes who is the other wolf that he know longer can sense. Also, another thing that points the Bran not bein the strongest Warg but Jon is, that Bran after his conversation with Robb in the winterfell crypts(dream SOS), he mentions that he's unsure as to whether GW is still alive, then when they are beyond the wall he mentions all of the wolf names besides Lady and says Ghost's name twice and ask Summer if he remembered Ghost(Jon). The conversation could almost read like this do you remember our alpha remember our alpha (replaced alpha with Ghost). THose are just some of my thoughts. Also interesting is that Jon unlike both Bran and Arya he doesn't seem to have to be asleep or actually out of his body to bond and warg ghost. In Dance jon mentions that it was like he and ghost were becoming one even while awake. Several scenes in Dance suggest that they are one and the same.

Interesting. I think that it makes sense that Ghost would be the alpha because as the story goes, we see Jon becoming the rallying point of the Staks kids, especially after Robb's death. This has always been the case for Arya, more or less for Bran and Rickon (welcoming feast at Winterfell) and becomes it for Sansa in AFFC. I'm more surprised to see Summer (Bran) as beta, but it makes some kind of sense as well. I very much agree with you on the last part but I've already said that in this thread.

side note out of all the Direwolves Ghost is the only one never to kill a human or eat human flesh

Also, don't forget about Lady. :frown5:

side note out of all the Direwolves Ghost is the only one never to kill a human or eat human flesh

I thought the wildlings enthusiastically reported that Ghost took a chunk out of Qhorin Halfhand's leg as Jon killed Qhorin. Does this not count?

Did Ghost actually eat the flesh or just rip half hands leg out. There is a big difference.

GW actively went into battle with Robb and killed men.

Nymeria same thing, Summer Here is some of the things that I'm not getting about some of people's choices.

Before one picks a King first one should establish what makes a great king. From the books there are different things that different types of people look for in a King.

As Bloodraven most men would rather their king be a warrior and stupid. And in real life that really was the case. Think about it. King John of England gets a bad rap, given the times and what he was going up against. His brother the LionHeart,reputation of being not only a skilled warrior, lance, bow and arrow, sword it didn't matter Richard was a master, but also he was gifted with Henry II's huge winsome personality, and from his mother whom was a political animal coming out of the womb Eleanor of Aquitene was no slouch in a world were women were never given power and she ruled in her husbands and son's name. John's father Henry II was making war at the time of 15! and even went up against his cousin Stephen I only to lose and Stephen took pity upon his cousin and paid his troops! His grandfather was Henry I and he was not to be fucked with under any circumstances, did I forget to mention that John's great great Grandfather took and dubious claim to the throne of England and took the throne through fire and blood. Compared to that John basically ransomed England to the Pope(but England had been thrown into finacial dispair because of Richard's ransom and crusade so not really John's fault) the signing of the Magna Carta 1215 again not really John's fault as his fore comers had taken power from the nobles and then fucked the small folks over time and time again, this was the only answer to curbing the kings power. Yet history will remember John as being a weak and shitty king. When alot of what he faced in his reign was him cleaning up the mistakes of those that came before him.

With all of that being said, as this is a feudal world being able to fight and command troops is a must as in this world might is right all the way.

Yet also, being able to be a mediatior many a good king can't be a hot head but that doesn't mean that a good king is someone that is indecisive in times of crisis. So a good king should be able to deal with a crisis but also be a hot head if and when the situation warrents it. Henry II was famous for his red hot Anguven temper(being descent from the daughter of the devil) and would work his temper tantums to his advantage as none wanted to anger the king and have his wroth turn on them. Yet for the most part Henry was very even tempered and cool in his political dealing. Even rashly wedding the ex-wife of Louis Capet, whom had bore 2 daughter in something like 15 years of marriage. Not much to recommend her, except her estates of Anquitene, beauty and political mind that is.

A good king is also skilled at word play and able to keep his thoughts hidden. A good king is a skilled flatter and coutier. A good King should be able to wit words with the greatest words smiths of their time. A good king should and must surround themselves with the best for the realm no matter their station in life. Thomas Beckett, Cardinal Thomas Wosley to name a few were raised from being born with dirt beneath their nail only to change the courese of kingdoms.

A good king should be able to reconize that an agreement leaves both sides anger and should be able to understand his men. Like Ned said a good lord knows their men.

But the biggest thing that a good or great king should be able to do is be an iron hand in a silk glove. The type of personality that inspires love and fear in equal measure. That is the thing that is rare and harder to abtain. To still be seen as dangerous even to those that love you and want to protect you. That those that love you fear displeasing you more than death, is a rare feat indeed.

The only thing that I can compare this last part with is Sun Taz's art of war, where he mentions that a good leader who treats his men like friends and they will follow him to the death, a good leader who treats his men like brother and they will follow them into the beyond.

With all of this being said, let's look at some of the contenders for said throne and if they pass the litmens test.

Stannis Baratheon- good battle commander, reputation provokes fear, not loyality or love from the nobles or small folk. Great at intrigue, hell no don't make me laugh, double talk or branding words like a word smith I think not. Stannis's face is an open book men only have to take one look and read his face as if it was their favorite book. So no Stannis is not king material.

Renly was more concerned about what to wear to his next feast and wondering if when he and Loras prayed would be catching or pitching that night. Renly is not what I would call smart as Littlefinger played him like Rheagar played a harp. He crowned himself when he didn't even have the right to rule, he was Robert's younger brother and had an older brother that was incovenitally still alive when he crowned himself so yeah he's the soul of wisdom.

If Tyrion wasn't so hated and despised that no, just no.

Dany? Hell No, not while she's on her dragon plant no trees kick. No thank you.

Some might even think that I would pick Jon Snow as he's my favorite. But Jon has some issues to work out before I have or place my full confidence in him, yet he's the closet so far that I would bend the knee to.

Doran Martell to slow to act and can be seen as indecisive and he doesn't have his uncle or brother to fight his battles for him(a warrior is one of the qualifications)

so none of them as being King like Varys said is nothing but a shadow on the wall, and none of the characters right now have the skills to play with the shadows of power just right to be the king that westeros needs after all the war, death, bloodshed, starvation and winter.

Jon II

Summary

Jon says goodbye to Winterfell

Observations

• The direwolves continue to behave as they have in the previous chapters.
  • This is probably the only chapter to feature Grey Wind and Ghost together.

Analysis

“Ghost nuzzled at his hand. He [Jon] took comfort from that.”

Once again we see Ghost lend Jon emotional strength.

“The window was open. Below a wolf howled. Ghost heard and lifted his head.”

Ghost seems affected and attracted to the howling.

“Outside the window, the direwolf howled again. The wolf Bran had not had time to name.”

Once again the issue of names comes up.

“Robb was in the middle of it, shouting commands with the best of them. He seemed to have grown of late, as if Bran’s fall and his mother’s collapse had somehow made him stronger. Grey Wind was at his side.”

• Grey Wind is at Robb’s side just as his sibling’s direwolves are constantly at their respective owner’s sides. I think this hints that Robb’s bond with Grey Wind is developing at more or less the same rate as his siblings’ bonds with their wolves.
  • This is the only time I recall seeing Ghost and Grey Wind together, and there appears to be no interaction between the two.
  • Bran’s fall has made Robb stronger, and that is explicitly contrasted with Cat’s breakdown. Now I’m not saying Grey Wind is the reason why Robb hasn’t fallen apart, but I do think it probable Grey Wind has given Robb emotional support during this time similar Summer and Ghost giving support to Bran and Jon.

“Arya was in her room, packing…Nymeria was helping. Arya would only have to point, and the wolf would bound across the room, snatch up some wisp of silk in her jaws, and fetch it back. But when she smelled Ghost, she sat down on her haunches and yelped at them."

• Arya is the only one to give a direwolf a person’s name, and here we see her engage in the human activity of packing. And a few sentences later we’ll see Nymeria do another task humans can do –stand watch. There’s a theme of humanizing the beast that’s starting to occur. And it’s interesting that the direwolves could represent the Starks’ tie to humanity just as much as they represent their inner beast.
  • Again, Nymeria shows deference to Ghost.

Dany II

Summary: Dany weds Khal Drogo

Eddard II

Summary: On to the road to King’s Landing, Ned and Robert have an early morning discussion.

Tyrion II

Summary

Tyrion travels to the Wall with Jon, Benjen, Yoren, and Yoren’s new recruits. Tyrion gives Jon a dismal perspective of the Night’s Watch, which upsets Jon. Ghost knocks down Tyrion.

Observations

• Ghost continues to be attracted to howling.
  • The theme of silence as unsettling continues.

Analysis

"Jon Snow’s albino direwolf pricked up his ears at the nightly howling, but never raised his own voice in reply. There was something very unsettling about that animal, Tyrion thought."

The uneasiness between Ghost and Tyrion isn’t just on Ghost’s part. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Tyrion is growing more unsettled with Ghost while at the same time Tyrion and Benjen haven’t become friends either, Tyrion remembers Ned’s dislike of the Lannisters, and Jon probably isn’t the most cheery travel companion at the moment.

“He never saw the wolf, where it was or how it came at him…’Help me,’ he said to the boy [Jon], reaching up a hand.”

It’s easier to see Ghost’s attack as a product of the emotional bond between Ghost and Jon as opposed to what we saw in Tyrion, Ghost, and Jon in Jon I.

“And suddenly the wolf was between them. He did not growl. The damned thing never made a sound. He only looked at him with those bright red eyes, and showed him his teeth, and that was more than enough. Tyrion sagged back to the ground with a grunt. ‘Don’t help me, then. I’ll sit right here until you leave. '“

"Jon Snow stroked Ghost’s thick white fur, smiling now. ‘Ask me nicely.’"

"Tyrion Lannister felt the anger coiling inside him, and crushed it out with a will. It was not the first time in his life he had been humiliated, and it would not be the last. Perhaps he even deserved this. ‘I should be very grateful for your kind assistance, Jon.’ He said mildly."

Ghost’s action has forced Tyrion to seek out Jon as an ally or at least give Tyrion an incentive to be more polite.

“'Down, Ghost,’ the boy said. The direwolf sat on his haunches. Those red eyes never left Tyrion."

All this emphasis on Ghost’s physical description reminds me that Ghost is basically a walking weirwood. This is one of few times I can remember where Tyrion admits responsibility for the situation he is in, so I wonder if Ghost is having a heart tree effect Tyrion.

“'Why did he attack me?'

'Maybe he thought you were a grumkin.'

Tyrion…laughed…'I suppose I do rather look like a grumkin. What does he do with snarks?'

'You don’t want to know."

At this point, Jon and Tyrion are on better terms than they were before. Whether or not this was Ghost’s intent, I wonder if they would be so friendly if Ghost hadn’t intervened. Would Jon have struck Tyrion if Ghost had gotten there first? I can’t see Tyrion being so forgiving if Jon was the one who had hit him.

Nymeria did more than just stand guard. She smelt Ghost's approach and sat on her hunches. In the first interaction between Nymeria and Ghost, the way she lowers her head and the waits for Ghost to gently nip her ear could be suggested as Nymeria bowing before her king?

Also note how we never see an interaction between Lady and Nymeria. Nymeria being the Alpha female and Lady being the female beta or even omega as she is the runt of the little.

Speaking of runts. Its curious that Theon calls Jon's wolf the runt and predicts that he will die first but at the same time we see that Ghost quickly surpasses all of his litter mates(GW included) to become the biggest.

Also what really strikes me that after Jon and Ghost have left, Bran's fall. Robb when he talks with Cat seems to have gotten younger even more unsure of himself. He tells Cat that he doesn't know what to do with Rickon he clings to his legs all day and follows him every where. So with Jon(Alpha) and Bran(beta) out of commission it seems like the 'leader' of their pack is un sure of what to do or how to lead. Which gives interesting insight into the relationships between Bran, Jon and Robb. That while Robb might have been the offical leader of the Stark Pack it was to Jon that the younger children except Sansa that looked to deference not to Robb but to Jon. It was Jon that gave Bran his advice about the execution, Jon who spoke up about being able to keep the wolfs and only after Jon has spoke about what he thinks should be done, does Robb rush in and confirm what Jon has already decreed.

Interesting to think about yeah? Also, it's interesting to wonder what would have happened had Jon been there when Cat, Theon, Robb and Ser Rodrick were making their plans. How he would have advised Robb on his course of action. Its also interesting to note that Jon left and it might because he didn't want to play the role of second to his brother.

Thanks for another great analysis, Harlaw’s Book! :cheers:

I didn’t mean to ignore the thread for such a long time, but this week has been insanely hectic again.

Jon II

Summary

Jon says goodbye to Winterfell

Observations

• The direwolves continue to behave as they have in the previous chapters.
  • This is probably the only chapter to feature Grey Wind and Ghost together.

Analysis

“Ghost nuzzled at his hand. He [Jon] took comfort from that.”

Once again we see Ghost lend Jon emotional strength.

“The window was open. Below a wolf howled. Ghost heard and lifted his head.”

Ghost seems affected and attracted to the howling.

“Outside the window, the direwolf howled again. The wolf Bran had not had time to name.”

Once again the issue of names comes up.

“Robb was in the middle of it, shouting commands with the best of them. He seemed to have grown of late, as if Bran’s fall and his mother’s collapse had somehow made him stronger. Grey Wind was at his side.”

• Grey Wind is at Robb’s side just as his sibling’s direwolves are constantly at their respective owner’s sides. I think this hints that Robb’s bond with Grey Wind is developing at more or less the same rate as his siblings’ bonds with their wolves.
  • This is the only time I recall seeing Ghost and Grey Wind together, and there appears to be no interaction between the two.
  • Bran’s fall has made Robb stronger, and that is explicitly contrasted with Cat’s breakdown. Now I’m not saying Grey Wind is the reason why Robb hasn’t fallen apart, but I do think it probable Grey Wind has given Robb emotional support during this time similar Summer and Ghost giving support to Bran and Jon.

“Arya was in her room, packing…Nymeria was helping. Arya would only have to point, and the wolf would bound across the room, snatch up some wisp of silk in her jaws, and fetch it back. But when she smelled Ghost, she sat down on her haunches and yelped at them."

• Arya is the only one to give a direwolf a person’s name, and here we see her engage in the human activity of packing. And a few sentences later we’ll see Nymeria do another task humans can do –stand watch. There’s a theme of humanizing the beast that’s starting to occur. And it’s interesting that the direwolves could represent the Starks’ tie to humanity just as much as they represent their inner beast.
  • Again, Nymeria shows deference to Ghost.

Actually, what I have in my book is this:

He reached the landing and stood for a long moment, afraid. Ghost nuzzled at his hand. He took courage from that. He straightened, and entered the room.

Jon gets courage from Ghost. The direwolf helps him conquer a fear – which may be a fear of Catelyn or a fear of seeing Bran in that pitiful condition or both. It won’t be the last time that we see Ghost encourage Jon to do what must be done.

Grey Wind is mentioned only briefly in this chapter, but the one thing that is said about him is that he is at Robb’s side. The wording does imply the idea of help and support (even if it’s “only” emotional support at this point).

I love the observation that the only wolf with a human’s name is engaged in a human activity here! :)

Jon takes courage from Ghost, Grey Wind is at Robb’s side, Nymeria “was helping”. This is the chapter where the Starks’ ways part with Jon heading for the Wall, Arya going south and Robb staying in Winterfell. (The idea is made quite explicit with Jon’s “different roads…” comment to Arya.) All three direwolves we see in this chapter are very emphatically in the position of “helper”, as they will be later on, in the various situations the siblings will have to face.

Physical proximity and contact between wolf and human is also emphasized. However, we can only hear Bran’s wolf, who cannot go near Bran, but we know that he is guarding him and helping him stay alive all the same. Bran, of course, is also taking a road of his own now.

I’ll be back later…

Tyrion II

Summary

Tyrion travels to the Wall with Jon, Benjen, Yoren, and Yoren’s new recruits. Tyrion gives Jon a dismal perspective of the Night’s Watch, which upsets Jon. Ghost knocks down Tyrion.

Observations

• Ghost continues to be attracted to howling.

The theme of silence as unsettling continues.

Analysis

"Jon Snow’s albino direwolf pricked up his ears at the nightly howling, but never raised his own voice in reply. There was something very unsettling about that animal, Tyrion thought."

The uneasiness between Ghost and Tyrion isn’t just on Ghost’s part. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Tyrion is growing more unsettled with Ghost while at the same time Tyrion and Benjen haven’t become friends either, Tyrion remembers Ned’s dislike of the Lannisters, and Jon probably isn’t the most cheery travel companion at the moment.

“He never saw the wolf, where it was or how it came at him…’Help me,’ he said to the boy [Jon], reaching up a hand.”

It’s easier to see Ghost’s attack as a product of the emotional bond between Ghost and Jon as opposed to what we saw in Tyrion, Ghost, and Jon in Jon I.

“And suddenly the wolf was between them. He did not growl. The damned thing never made a sound. He only looked at him with those bright red eyes, and showed him his teeth, and that was more than enough. Tyrion sagged back to the ground with a grunt. ‘Don’t help me, then. I’ll sit right here until you leave. '“

"Jon Snow stroked Ghost’s thick white fur, smiling now. ‘Ask me nicely.’"

"Tyrion Lannister felt the anger coiling inside him, and crushed it out with a will. It was not the first time in his life he had been humiliated, and it would not be the last. Perhaps he even deserved this. ‘I should be very grateful for your kind assistance, Jon.’ He said mildly."

Ghost’s action has forced Tyrion to seek out Jon as an ally or at least give Tyrion an incentive to be more polite.

“'Down, Ghost,’ the boy said. The direwolf sat on his haunches. Those red eyes never left Tyrion."

All this emphasis on Ghost’s physical description reminds me that Ghost is basically a walking weirwood. This is one of few times I can remember where Tyrion admits responsibility for the situation he is in, so I wonder if Ghost is having a heart tree effect Tyrion.

“'Why did he attack me?'

'Maybe he thought you were a grumkin.'

Tyrion…laughed…'I suppose I do rather look like a grumkin. What does he do with snarks?'

'You don’t want to know."

At this point, Jon and Tyrion are on better terms than they were before. Whether or not this was Ghost’s intent, I wonder if they would be so friendly if Ghost hadn’t intervened. Would Jon have struck Tyrion if Ghost had gotten there first? I can’t see Tyrion being so forgiving if Jon was the one who had hit him.

I love the description of the North in this chapter. Since the first chapter establishes that the direwolves must have come from beyond the Wall, Ghost is in effect travelling homewards. I think“The wolfswood” emphasizes for Tyrion (and the reader) that they are in the realm of the Starks (and other wolves).

Two quotes from the two Tyrion chapters:

Tyrion I:

Something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack.

Tyrion II:

Jon Snow’s albino direwolf pricked up his ears at the nightly howling, but never raised his own voice in reply. There was something very unsettling about that animal, Tyrion thought.

It seems Tyrion finds a howling direwolf and a silent one equally unsettling.

To summarize the possible causes / purposes of Ghost's attack on Tyrion:

1. Ghost acts in response to a projection of Jon's feelings – seems likely.

2. Ghost stops Jon from personally getting involved in a fight with Tyrion, making it possible for them to eventually become friends. Jon is the only one of the Starks who befriends Tyrion, and that's the first time we see Jon make friends in unusual quarters.

Ghost disapproves of the way Tyrion talks of the Night's Watch and Jon's future life there. We will see it later on that Ghost is pro-NW whenever Jon has to decide whether to leave or to stay. Although Tyrion only voices the doubts Jon is probably harbouring anyway, Ghost's action apparently helps Jon accept the fact that his new life will be different from what he has been expecting.

I suppose I do rather look like a grumkin. What does he do to snarks?”

You don’t want to know."

Question: If Tyrion is a grumkin, who will be the snark, and what will Ghost do to him? :stunned:

EDIT:

Both Ramsay and Ser Alliser (who is supposed to be currently beyond the Wall) are rather snarky.

Catelyn III

Overview

While the Winterfell library is on fire, a mysterious attacker sneaks into Bran's room with a Valyrian steel dagger. He injures Catelyn, who has refused to leave her son's room. Mother and son are saved by Bran's direwolf. Catelyn makes the decision to go to King's Landing to investigate the origin of the dagger.

Observations

- Fire is used against the Starks.

- With the Winterfell library on fire, the barking of the Winterfell dogs joins the howling of the wolves.

- This is the chapter where one of the direwolves kills a human for the first time. By doing that, he saves the lives of two other people.

Analysis

The Stark in Winterfell

As Robb is doing his best to look after Winterfell like a real lord, his appearance is described with words used in the direwolves' names:

He had come from outside, Catelyn saw; his cheeks were red from the cold, his hair shaggy and windblown.

This is the first time that Catelyn notices the North, “something of Eddard Stark”, in Robb's face, despite Robb's characteristically Tully features. Not much later, the castle is described with words referring to Grey Wind:

Night after night, the howling and the cold wind and the grey empty castle, on and on they went, never changing ….

The wording suggests that Robb, Winterfell and the direwolves strongly belong together.

Howling Wolves

Sobbing, she pulled her hand free of his and covered her ears against those terrible howls. “Make them stop!” she cried. “I can't stand it, make them stop, make them stop, kill them all if you must, just make them stop!”

Once again the motif of howling comes up - together with the reaction of humans to it. Robb can distinguish the sounds of the various direwolves and he knows that Bran “needs to hear them sing”. Robb appears once more as a true Stark, who instinctively understands the nature of the Stark-direwolf relationship. Catelyn, however, is deeply disturbed by the howling. Of course, she is undergoing a nervous breakdown, but the contrast between her response to the wolves' sound and Robb's response to the same thing is still striking, especially if we remember how Tyrion was affected by the sound not long ago. We have learned that Catelyn begged Eddard not to leave, and when he did, she did not even see him out. Now in her grief, Catelyn rejects the Starks and Winterfell, and her hysterical reaction to the howling of the wolves is a sign of this rejection.

The Attack

Yet, the attempt on the life of her son turns Catelyn into a true she-wolf: She fights and bites and tastes the blood of the attacker.

Bran's wolf coming to the rescue is described as a shadow slipping through the open door. The wolf kills the attacker and Catelyn thanks him. Then the wolf licks Catelyn's fingers, cleaning the blood off her hand. It strikes me as a friendly gesture, as the first example of (mutual) communication between Catelyn and a direwolf, perhaps as a symbolic acceptance of Catelyn into the wolf pack. Finally, the wolf jumps on Bran's bed and lies down beside the boy. The physical proximity between wolf and warg has been reestablished, and Catelyn does not need to be bothered by the howling any longer.

“And let his wolf stay in the room with him,” Robb added.

“Yes,” Catelyn said. And then again. “Yes.”

Robb would do well to remember this episode later on. :frown5:

Howling Wolves

Once again the motif of howling comes up - together with the reaction of humans to it. Robb can distinguish the sounds of the various direwolves and he knows that Bran needs to hear them sing. Robb appears once more as a true Stark, who instinctively understands the nature of the Stark-direwolf relationship. Catelyn, however, is deeply disturbed by the howling. Of course, she is undergoing a nervous breakdown, but the contrast between her response to the wolves' sound and Robb's response to the same thing is still striking, especially if we remember how Tyrion was affected by the sound not long ago. We have learned that Catelyn begged Eddard not to leave, and when he did, she did not even see him out. Now in her grief, Catelyn rejects the Starks and Winterfell, and her hysterical reaction to the howling of the wolves is a sign of this rejection.

The emphasis in the previous chapter on Ghost's mute silence and the contrasting unbearable (to Catelyn) howling in this chapter has to be deliberate. What does the voice represent that GRRM would want to emphasize its absence in one wolf and its terrible noisiness in others? As you point out, though, Catelyn and Robb perceive the howling differently. Why is that?

I've been trying to think about how other voices are used in the stories to try to make connections and look for clues. Of course, singers use their voices. We will see later a couple of cases where major characters "silence" singers: Tyrion with Symon Silvertongue and Little Finger with Marillion. Joffrey has a singer's tongue cut out (or is it a hand cut off?) for singing a disrespectful song after Robert Baratheon's death. Lady Olenna orders her jester to sing loudly to prevent Sansa's words from being overheard at a dinner party.

Could Catelyn's reaction to the howling of the direwolves foreshadow the song that she should want to stop at the Frey wedding banquet? If that foreshadowing is intended, interesting that Robb's reaction to the howling is the opposite of Catelyn's.

I'm not completely sold on the idea that the wolves' howls are intended to be seen in the same light as the singing of professional singers. There is a lot of amateur song in the stories, and it doesn't have the same associations with death and betrayal and intrigue as the songs of professional performers. The wolves "song" may not be related to either type of music.

The wolves' howls seem both mournful and signs of alarm. Could they just be trying to signal that Bran's wolf needs to be at his side to protect him from harm? Could the wolves' howls be comparable to the warning blows of the horn that signal returning rangers, wildlings or whitewalkers for the Night's Watch?

Or are they like the sound of the horn of Joramun, that we have not yet heard?

Are there other significant sounds in the books? In my opinion, the relentless and repetitive voices of the Undying Ones might rank with aural torture Catelyn perceived in the howling of the wolves (and the Undying Ones' fate might be a better fit for Catelyn's "kill them all" directive).

Given the many instances of characters going mute (born that way; voluntarily - Silent Sisters; having their tongue cut out; being under some kind of spell - is that what happens to Arya, or is hers voluntary?; being killed, etc.) I imagine there is a meaningful message behind silence and speaking or otherwise making noise. Maybe also behind whispering - it always seems more meaningful when something is whispered instead of spoken out loud.

Perhaps this line of thinking doesn't help to explain wolf silence and wolf noise. I'd be curious if anyone else has clear ideas on this.

Thanks for your post Julia (and also Harlaw's Book).

Unfortunately I don't have much time so I add only some small observations.

Outside the tower, a wolf began to howl. Catelyn trembled just for a second.

„Bran’s.“ Robb opened the window and let the night air into the stuffy tower room. The howling grew louder. It was a cold and lonely sound, full of melancholy and despair.

„Don’t,“ she told him. „Bran needs to stay warm.“

„He needs to hear them sing,“ Robb said. Somewhere out in Winterfell, a second wolf began to howl in chorus with the first. Then a third, closer. „Shaggydog and Grey Wind,“ Robb said as their voices rose and fell together. „You can tell them apart if you listen close.“

Robb knows that the direwolves are important. Robb the 14-year-old boy is able to accept his direwolf as an extension of himself. He looses this understanding later when he tries to fit in his position as grown man and king.

Catelyn saw the shadow slip through the open door behind him. There was a low rumble, less than a snarl, the merest whisper of a threat, but he must have heard something, because he started to turn just as the wolf made its leap. They went down together, half sprawled over Catelyn where she’d fallen. The wolf had him under the jaw. The man’s shriek lasted less than a second before the beast wrenched back its head, taking out half his throat.

And for the first time we see the truth of Eddards warning in Bran I. By this time the pups are maybe three or four months old (depends on how much time you give Robert to travel north and to stay at Winterfell). Given that young age and this enormous strength, we can understand what power they have at the end of ADWD.

The wolf was looking at her. Its jaws were red and wet and its eyes glowed golden in the dark room. It was Bran’s wolf, she realized. Of course it was. “thank you,” Catelyn whispered, her voice faint and tiny. She lifted her hand, trembling. The wolf padded closer, sniffed at her fingers, then licked at the blood with a wet rough tongue. When it had cleaned all the blood of her hand, it turned away silently and jumped up on Bran’s bed and lay down beside him.

Red jaws and golden eyes – again we see the Lannister colors. And this is the first time Summer tastes human blood, but it's not the last time.

snip

Maybe this thread will interest you on the relation between the wolves and singing : http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110263-those-who-sing/?p=5797558

Am I the only one who was really happy to learn in TWOIAF

the distinction between warg and skinchanger ? Warg is only used to call people who skinchange into wolves but skinchanger is for any person who have that kind of power with any animals.

Or was it already explained in the series and I missed it ?

Archived