Taena Merrywhether?

Seaworth'sShipmate

2-3) LF's motivations are not hard to uncover. LF has a deep inferiority complex. He is haunted by his low birth and the dreary belongings of his House. He wants to prove himself to those high lords and have everything. I know this sounds ridiculous to many people but that is because LF is one of the most overrated characters in the series. His methods are complicated but his motivations are simple and clear.

I completely agree with you on this and I think that's why LF is fascinating. Who hasn't ever thought about getting even with those who looked down at us? It's a very human feeling and he's taking it to the extreme.

I recently saw a movie (based on a play) with a character very like LF: he was a child worker in a ranch, whose owner had two daughters who played with him. He later left his family and made his own fortune, but became an asshole, stating that he only cared about himself because no one ever worried about him. Later, when his former master got in trouble, he offered to buy his debts only if he married one of the daughters. Of course, here we're supposed to cheer for the daughters as they weren't bad people, nor they mistreated him at all. They treated him in the same way everybody treated their servants: good but not like they were one of their kind.

Something similar happens with LF. He wasn't "mistreated" by the Tullys, who were actually nice people. Yet, in his head, he apparently believes they have to pay for what they did to him. He was never meant to marry Cat, she was "above" him and it wasn't Cat's fault, nor Brandon. In fact, Brandon was kind enough to not killing him and asking him to yield. And despite his lowborn origins, he has really climbed high: he's part of the King's council. So, this makes kinda hard for us to cheer for him and we see him as a villain instead.

It isn't obviously stated in the text, but I get the sense that Taena isn't Cersei's friend at all, despite their naughty slumber parties together.

Im pretty sure she was planted by the Tyrells to spy on her and give false information about Margarey. What really tipped me off is how she constantly demurred and prevaricated whenever the subject of bringing her son to court came up.

She would definitely bring her son to court if she thought Cersei was the strongest "player" and the one it made most sense to suck up to. I do not think that is the case.

Thoughts?

Agree totally. Tyrell plant for sure.

Varys

Litllefinger

Doran

Tyrells

It's funny how people always try to tie everything to Varys or LF while disregarding the biggest natural force and greatest player of all. Selfishness. She is a foreigner who is herself linking with the most powerful woman at the time. No extra motivation needed.

• 5 months later...

Archived