Moon of Three Kings

Jaak

What happened during that time in King´s Landing?

In Princess and Queen, last we hear is Queen´s evacuation of Red Keep:

She retreated to her chambers whilst her counselors conferred. Kings Landing was lost, all agreed; they must need abandon the city. Reluctantly, Her Grace was persuaded to leave the next day, at dawn. With the Mud Gate in the hands of her foes, and all the ships along the river burned or sunk, Rhaenyra and a small band of followers slipped out through the Dragon Gate, intending to make their way up the coast to Duskendale. With her rode the brothers Manderly, four surviving Queensguard, Ser Balon Byrch and twenty gold cloaks, four of the queens ladies-in-waiting, and her last surviving son, Aegon the Younger.

Total 27 men, 1 boy, 5 women.

Which of them were "her counselors", plural?

We know that there were a large number of prisoners on Red Keep. Queen Alicent, ser Tyland Lannister and Lord Corlys Velaryon known by name, but there were many others.

There is no mention of the queen and her retinue either taking any prisoners along, or releasing them before leaving, or killing them before leaving.

In the city, King Trystane was flying his banners... but no mention of King Gaemon so far.

As for the flight of Queen: Stokeworth gave hospitality for 1 night; they camped for "one night", unspecified, when they (after half the gold cloaks had deserted, 17 men left) were attacked by broken men, losing 2 (Ser Balon Byrch and Lyonel Bentley). So she reached Dragonstone with Aegon, 3 Queensguard and her ladies. The 2 Manderlys and the 10 remaining gold cloaks presumably stated in Duskendale seeking to travel to Vale or North.

The death of Queen was 22th of October, 130.

Sunfyre was mortally wounded but lingered on till 9th of December, while King did nothing save sending ravens. After 9th of December, King Aegon mourned dragon - then ordered to start preparations for return to King´s Landing.

Now, what had been the situation on field in early October, 130?

At Tumbleton, we are told that:

By dusk, the fighting was done. Though the river lords lost less than a hundred men, whilst cutting down more than a thousand of the men from Oldtown and the Reach, Second Tumbleton could not be accounted a complete victory for the attackers, as they failed to take the town. Tumbletons walls were still intact, and once the kings men had fallen back inside and closed their gates, the queens forces had no way to make a breach, lacking both siege equipment and dragons. Even so, they wreaked great slaughter on their confused and disorganized foes, fired their tents, burned or captured almost all their wagons, fodder, and provisions, made off with three-quarters of their warhorses, slew their prince, and put an end to two of the kings dragons.

On the morning after the battle, the conquerers of Tumbleton looked out from the town walls to find their foes gone.

So Benjicot Blackwood s black army decided to leave. Where?

As for the green army who was left the battlefield after the black victors left:

Afterward, Lord Unwin Peake offered a thousand golden dragons to any knight of noble birth who could claim Silverwing. Three men came forth. When the first had his arm torn off and the second burned to death, the third man reconsidered. By that time Peakes army, the remnants of the great host that Prince Daeron and Lord Ormund Hightower had led all the way from Oldtown, was falling to pieces as deserters fled Tumbleton by the score with all the plunder they could carry. Bowing to defeat, Lord Unwin summoned his lords and serjeants and ordered a retreat.

So, the greens under Peake went back to Reach, and blacks under Blackwood went where they wanted.

Who was the next army to march to King´s Landing after riots?

I imagine afterwards it was like a mini Dance in Kings Landing between Gaemon Palehair and King Trystane. Most people couldn't read and I doubt many septons, septas or maesters are gunna be frequenting the streets, so it's not really known.

Her counselors would be the seven Kingsguard, gold cloaks, and lords such as Bar Emmon, Massey and Celtigar.

The black army under Benjicot Blackwood joined up with his sister Alysanne Blackwood and Kermit Tully who led the Tully army who later confronted the green army led by Borros Baratheon. They defeated them, and Kermit slew Borros. Whether Unwin led his army and joined with Borros I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

However Unwin later become Aegon the Third regent, so he definitely returned to Kings Landing at some time.

Aegon II took back King's Landing, must of only been the army he had on Dragonstone.

Took back from whom?

Remember the timeline. Rhaenyra was captured and immediately killed on 22th of October. She had been travelling several days overland King´s Landing to Duskendale. Thus she fled the Red Keep in middle or early October.

Aegon II sat at Dragonstone and did nothing till 9th of December when Sunfyre died. Then he mourned Sunfyre, then he called on his lords to prepare return to King´s Landing. Then the time to do the preparations he asked for, and then the actual voyage.

Red Keep could not have had either Queen or King from mid-October (latest time Queen could have fled) till Christmas (soonest King Aegon could have arrived). Which is more than 2 months.

Did Aegon II arrive with his small army to King´s Landing held by enemy? And then who? Or did he arrive to King´s Landing already held by some Green army that had arrived in his absence?

I imagine afterwards it was like a mini Dance in Kings Landing between Gaemon Palehair and King Trystane. Most people couldn't read and I doubt many septons, septas or maesters are gunna be frequenting the streets, so it's not really known.

Maesters, perhaps - no maester travelled in the small party of fleeing Queen, so what became of Orwyle? Gerardys? But septons and septas were common. Like one-armed Shepherd. Or Eustace. What were they preaching to the mobs in the city?

Her counselors would be the seven Kingsguard,

She did not have seven - she fled with just 4.

gold cloaks, and lords such as Bar Emmon, Massey and Celtigar.

No such lords recorded as fleeing with her. Just the two Manderly knights.

The black army under Benjicot Blackwood joined up with his sister Alysanne Blackwood and Kermit Tully who led the Tully army who later confronted the green army led by Borros Baratheon.

Yes, eventually, sometime in 131. But my question is what they did in the immediate days of mid-October 130?

They had massacred the green camp in the field, but the greens were behind the walls of Tumbleton. They had neither dragons nor siege equipment to storm the walls and exterminate Greens as they were demoralized from battle, so if they chose to settle for siege, they risked the Greens gathering their courage and sallying forth. So they decided to round up the captured horses and leave... where?

Despite the raid, the Greens seriously planned to resume their march on King´s Landing, 50 leagues away... something like ten days´ march or less. It was the resolve of Ulf the White, and Lord Unwin Peake persisted on the plan until his knights failed to tame Silverwing. Only then did he retreat in defeat.

As far as Benjicot Blackwood knew, the Greens and Silverwing might have marched on despite their losses in raid. He decided against keeping siege. So what did he decide to do?

Orwyle was imprisoned and Gerardys would yet hold office.

It took a couple of months to take back Kings Landing, but the details were not fully known, I guess it was to chaotic for proper recordings. Eh I wasn't sure, I just know those were lords that were on her side, and were close by, the passage mentions lords, and I named likely ones.

Well I'd say they went back to the riverlands. The Tully's were yet to join their strength to the Blackwoods and the other blacks and most everylord eventually did except Brackens and Strongs (both greens). They had few numbers and lost men (I think 4000 minus how many were lost in the battle of Tumbleton). So it makes sense to go back to the riverlands to get more numbers, before the Battle of the Kingsroad. One must remember that not all lords in the riverlands were greens or blacks.
Known blacks are the Blackwoods, Greys, Bigglestones, Perryns, Freys, Charltons and eventually the Tullys. That leaves heaps of powerful lords to change allegiance to the blacks.

So yeah, I definitely think back to the riverlands. At Second Tumbleton Billy Burley led the Blackwood archers, while Alysanne Blackwood led them at the Battle of the Kingsroad, so at some times she joined them with the Tully and the rest of the "Lads" who we don't know yet..

Orwyle was imprisoned and Gerardys would yet hold office.

It took a couple of months to take back Kings Landing, but the details were not fully known, I guess it was to chaotic for proper recordings.

Um, there were tens of lords around on each side, and plenty of time for survivors to write down the story afterwards. Plus plenty of primary sources - the ravenborne letters from one lord to another requesting military assistance to their side and reporting on the situation...

Eh I wasn't sure, I just know those were lords that were on her side, and were close by, the passage mentions lords, and I named likely ones.

Then what did these lords do when Queen fled Red Keep with just 27 men?

Well I'd say they went back to the riverlands. The Tully's were yet to join their strength to the Blackwoods and the other blacks and most everylord eventually did except Brackens and Strongs (both greens). They had few numbers and lost men (I think 4000 minus how many were lost in the battle of Tumbleton). So it makes sense to go back to the riverlands to get more numbers, before the Battle of the Kingsroad.

They had almost 4000 men, and a lot of horses for loot. Once their outriders (and deserters from green army) reported the retreat of the green army, the threat to King´s Landing from Lord Unwin Peake was over for the moment.

Whereas the threat from rioters remained. The 2000 gold cloaks had had trouble. The obvious move would have been for Blackwood and his nearly 4000 men to march on King´s Landing and try to rescue Rhaenyra by suppressing the riot.

Did they try that?

The lords were imprisoned??
If Corlys was imprisoned (he was one of her most ardent supporters) I don't see why Gormon Massey or Bartimos Celtigar would be spared the same fate. We don't know. And the Red Keep was overrun by hedge knights so where they went afterwards idk. A rioting city is no place for any nobility.

Perhaps, but they would have found the city closed to them right? Nah I still think they backtracked to the Riverlands, maybe to Harrenhal?

The lords were imprisoned??

If Corlys was imprisoned (he was one of her most ardent supporters) I don't see why Gormon Massey or Bartimos Celtigar would be spared the same fate.

Um, what for?

It had been Bartimos Celtigar who argued that Nettles and Addam also were traitors. Corlys alone had argued for Addam, and been arrested when he had warned Addam.

We hear that at dawn, a hundred men had attended Queen in throne room but that "one by one" they slipped away.

If Lord Bartimus Celtigar had been with her counsellors in the night after dragons died and agreed that the city was lost, he should have been fleeing with her and his supporters. So the only logical way for him not to be with her would have been if he had fled separately during the previous day or night.

I imagine one of her counsellors would be Mysaria the White Worm. I doubt any maester would ever grant her the style lady in waiting, and she had been the Mistress of Whispers.

Um, was the style for maesters to give or deny? Lady in waiting is a formal position; and Queen Rhaella had the authority to dismiss her lady in waiting Joanna over Aerys´ objections.

It seems that Lord Borros retook KL in Aegon's name, and only then did Aegon II return from Dragonstone. Aegon II clearly did not have enough men to retake the capital from Kings Gaemon and Trystane, or the supporters of the Shepherd.

It seems that Lord Borros retook KL in Aegon's name, and only then did Aegon II return from Dragonstone. Aegon II clearly did not have enough men to retake the capital from Kings Gaemon and Trystane, or the supporters of the Shepherd.

That works, then Lord Boros marched up the Kingsroad to fight the "greenboys" of the Riverlands

It is actually stated pretty much this way in the Stormlands section, if I'm not mistaken. Borros took KL, but it is not directly confirmed that Aegon was not with him, but I'd assume as much since TPatQ confirmed that he remained on Dragonstone (at least) until Sunfyre died.

We would then have some short, pitiful attempt of a 'Aegon II restoration, possibly from late December throughout January', with Aegon II making plans for his wedding, dispatching Ser Tyland and others to Essos, pardoning Corlys and others, executing Trystane (note that Ser Perkin, the man who made Trystane king, ended up at Aegon's court and was, apparently, involved in the plot to murder him).

The Lads would then have regrouped, I assume, in the end of January/early February, Borros would have suffered his defeats a few weeks later, and Aegon II would then have been killed around the same time Viserys I died. The fact that Aegon II was poisoned could be a pretty strong hint that Mushroom's claim Viserys I was also poisoned was actually true (although this one would lack hard evidence, though).

Archived