[TWOIAF Spoilers]Alyn Velaryon and the Dornish Princess

In Alyn's first of his six great voyages, when he was dispatched to fight with the Red Kraken during Aegon III's days, he stopped by Sunspear twice (leave and return). There we are told the reigning princess Aliandra Martell showed "great" favor to him. The princess is described as a young women, and apparently not married at that moment.

Years later, we only know Alyn was the one who played a huge role in the invasion of Dorne. He actually helped Daeron I to hatch the war plan and his fleet was practically the most important reason why Daeron I won the war.

However, it is said an unnamed prince, not princess, submitted to Daeron. Did young princess Aliandra die early? Did her affection for Alyn mean nothing to him?

I sense there can be some story potential in this chapter of history. Will we see it in the future?

In 113 AC, King Viserys I thought about marrying Princess Rhaenyra to the Prince of Dorne. It is currently unknown whether this refers to Qoren, Aliandra's father, or a brother of hers (who then would have died young).

If it referred to Qoren, Aliandra was born around 113 AC. She seems to have been married to Drazenko Rogare somewhere before 235 AC, as, when Prince Viserys had been returned to Westeros, it was mentioned that the uncle of his wife was the husband to the princess of Dorne. That princess would be Aliandra, as Drazenko was Larra's uncle, and he was married to her.

When exactly Alyn's voyages took place (meaning, when exactly he visited Sunspear) is unknown, but it could be that Drazenko was still alive at that point. It could also be that he had already died by the time Alyn stopped by Sunspear.

The Conquest of Dorne took place in 157 AC, so yeah, it seems Aliandra died at an earlier age than nobility usually dies at. Her son, brother, or nephew would have taken control of Dorne after that, and said Martell might not have taken kindly to Alyn, and vice versa.

Or, you know, Alyn simply didn't care and thought it was fun for as long as it lasted, but his King's wishes went before his own desire (or something like that).

Archived