Lineage Question - Alys Arryn

Odin50

Does anyone know is Alys Arryn, (sister of Jon Arryn & wife to Elys Waynwood) is the same Alys Arryn who also married Rhaegel Targaryen and was mother to Aelor, Aelora and Daenora?

The years could potentially match up assuming she is close to Jon's age, but I could find little information on her for me to confirm.

I don't think this matches age-wise, as Rhaegel's Alys may have married Rhaegel around 200 AC, perhaps even earlier. We don't know yet how old Aelor and Aelora were during THK and TMK but they were born by that time, although are considered to be 'children'.

Nothing suggests that they have to be very young in 212 AC. They could be about the same age, or even slightly older than Egg. Jon Arryn's sister would have been born decades later, I assume.

Aelor and Aelora were married by the time of Aelor's death in 217 AC, so their birth having occured around or before 200 AC seems most likely. That would mean that Alys been married by 200 AC to Rhaegel already, and they might have been married for some years by then.

Jon Arryn was born around 217-220 AC, about a generation later than Aelor and Aelora... Which would suggest that Alys was simply a cousin, one or two generations removed..

Rhaegal's wife Alys was most likely either a sister or daughter of Lord Donnel Arryn, the staunch Targaryen loyalist during the First Blackfyre Rebellion (who was still lord during the Great Spring Sickness). Depending on what Donnel's relation to Jasper was, she would either be Jon Arryn's aunt or great-aunt, most likely.

Yes. My guess is that Donnel got a Targaryen match as a reward for his loyalty during the First Rebellion (and the Penroses possibly, too - Dyanna and Jena most likely were already married to their princes).

Jon's sister Alys may actually be named after Rhaegel's Alys. She may never have become queen, but she could still have become an important and prominent courtier during the reigns of both Aerys I and Maekar.

Archived