Daenerys Three Treasons

Edmund Waters

[quote name='Stratonice' post='1522888' date='Sep 18 2008, 09.23'][...]

So basically those events have had a dramatic enough impact on her life to be worthy of a prophesy, Jorah's betrayal hasn't had nearly the same importance (not for Dany herself and not for the world in general either).[/quote]

You make a good argument, but I'm still not convinced. Yes, those events have had a significant impact on Dany's life, but I still believe that she will experience all three treasons herself. But betrayal is not the only major element in those three visions - another is that they were all about the deaths of her kin, her two brothers and her son. Also, all three happened in the past, unlike the other sets of visions. So, for major themes for this set of vision, we've got betrayal/death/kin/past. And if that particular trio of visions was about the betrayals, then wouldn't the Undying have said "mother of dragons, daughter of betrayal"?

[quote name='Krafus' post='1522956' date='Sep 18 2008, 16.02']You make a good argument, but I'm still not convinced. Yes, those events have had a significant impact on Dany's life, but I still believe that she will experience all three treasons herself. But betrayal is not the only major element in those three visions - another is that they were all about the deaths of her kin, her two brothers and her son. Also, all three happened in the past, unlike the other sets of visions. So, for major themes for this set of vision, we've got betrayal/death/kin/past. And if that particular trio of visions was about the betrayals, then wouldn't the Undying have said "mother of dragons, daughter of betrayal"?[/quote]

Yes, they are about the deaths of her kin. Deaths through or caused by treason/betrayal. If my interpretation is correct, then the words follwing each sequence of visions as well as the visions themselves are clues to help her figure out what the fires, mounts and treasons first mentioned means since this is what she asks for (help to understand).

Meaning, the daughter of death theme is important to understand the treasons (one for blood, one for gold and one for love). She is closely related to (though not the actual daughter of) the three men, Rhaegar (for love), Viserys (for gold) and Rhaego (for blood) who dies as the result of the three treasons.

The slayer of lies theme is important to understand the fires she must light (one for life, one for death and one to love). This leads me to believe that fire will be an important means for her to reveal the truth, or slay the lies, from the visions. Perhaps the supposed Lightbringer, the flaming sword, will be important when it comes to "slay the lie" that Stannis is AAR. The stone dragon leads me to Melisandre, perhaps the fire that gave birth to Dany's own dragons while Mel has been unable to wake any dragons with her fires is significant to this vision (the fire for life). I'm more unclear on how exactly fire will be important for the vision of the cloth dragon (which sounds suspiciously like a fake Targaryen to me), perhaps something to do with the dragons again? Since the details of these fires and slaying of lies still are very unclear I'm not really sure which would be the fire for death and which to love.

Finally, the bride of fire theme is important to understand the mounts she must ride (one to bed, one to dread and one to love). She rode her silver to Drogo's bed on her wedding night (mount to bed). She will need to ride ships to get herself and her army to Westeros, the Iron Fleet perhaps? And the price for this will probably be a marriage to one of the Greyjoy uncles, both of whom would fit the vision (mount to dread). And finally a relationship of romantic (and probably sexual since the vision doesn't indicate anything else to ride) nature with Jon or possibly that he will play in important part in finding her a husband to love (mount to love).

As for when they took place, the visions from the daughter of death sequence are not the only ones that happened prior to the prophesy. Her silver and the wedding night with Drogo did too as well as the fire that gave birth to her dragons.

So in short, for me all three parts (the original prophesy, the visions and the words following the sequences of visions) are tied together and are equally important to interpret the prophesy. I'm not sure any of this actually convinced you of it though.

Stratonice;

[quote]I'm not sure any of this actually convinced you of it though.[/quote]

Heh heh, you're right. From what I can tell, you've tied the "three fires must you light" to the "slayer of lies" visions, the "three mounts must you ride" to the "bride of fire" visions, and the "three treasons will you know" to the "daughter of death." I'll grant you that there seems to be a correlation between the three mounts and the bride of fire parts, but I just don't see it in the other two cases.

In the three fires and slayer of lies case, you yourself admit that the details of those are currently very unclear - too unclear IMO to tie those two parts together with any kind of confidence.

As for the association that's brought along our present discussion, I still believe that it would be just too pat that the three treasons had already occurred, and that all that this part of the Undying's words will accomplish will be to make Dany needlessly fret. Three treasons [i]will[/i] you know, the Undying said, future tense, not three treasons [i]have[/i] you known. To me this means that Dany must experience all three treasons herself, as she has in the case of the only we can be reasonably sure of (Mirri Maz Duur), and which she hasn't in the case of Rhaegar.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1523100' date='Sep 18 2008, 17.28']In the three fires and slayer of lies case, you yourself admit that the details of those are currently very unclear - too unclear IMO to tie those two parts together with any kind of confidence.[/quote]

It's true that this sequence has the weakest connection so far. It's more that the context makes it a clear possibility that there is in fact supposed to be a link and the treasons and mounts seem to match the other two sequences pretty well which leaves the three fires with the slayer of lies sequence. And in two of the cases (the vision of Stannis and the stone dragon) there is already a link to fire. But time will tell how they fit (if they do at all).

[quote name='Krafus' post='1523100' date='Sep 18 2008, 17.28']As for the association that's brought along our present discussion, I still believe that it would be just too pat that the three treasons had already occurred, and that all that this part of the Undying's words will accomplish will be to make Dany needlessly fret. Three treasons [i]will[/i] you know, the Undying said, future tense, not three treasons [i]have[/i] you known. To me this means that Dany must experience all three treasons herself, as she has in the case of the only we can be reasonably sure of (Mirri Maz Duur), and which she hasn't in the case of Rhaegar.[/quote]

The fact that the acutal treasons and deaths have already happened doesn't necessarily mean that Dany truly understand what happened and their significance yet when she hears the prophesy. She doesn't really know much about what caused Rhaegar's death (his motivations, his (likely) son by Lyanna, the prophesy of the PtwP, etc). She doesn't know how important the dragons will be in the end either since she doesn't know of the Others. So even if the treasons already happened, Dany will still have to learn a great deal before she can be said to truly [i]know[/i] them (motivations, significance, consequences, etc). And this is not just knowledge needed to understand the treasons in themselves (or the nature of treason in general) but to understand her own true purpose and that these particular treasons were important in order for it to be possible for her to do what she needs to do.

But it's possible that you're right and there is no intended connection and only one of the treasons have happened yet. Even without the connection to the visions I don't believe Jorah counts as one, much less two, of the treasons. Nothing he did or did not do has had any particular significance (so far) so it just doesn't make sense. (Not sure you ever said he was one of them though.)

[quote name='Stratonice' post='1523160' date='Sep 18 2008, 11.59']It's true that this sequence has the weakest connection so far. It's more that the context makes it a clear possibility that there is in fact supposed to be a link and the treasons and mounts seem to match the other two sequences pretty well which leaves the three fires with the slayer of lies sequence. And in two of the cases (the vision of Stannis and the stone dragon) there is already a link to fire. But time will tell how they fit (if they do at all).[/quote]

I'll acknowledge there's a possibility of a connection, but IMO we need to wait for more evidence on this matter. That this link (that is, the three fires and the slayer of lies) will likely have to wait until book 6 to be proven, since I believe Dany unlikely to reach Westeros [i]and[/i] meet Stannis and Melisandre in ADWD.

[quote]The fact that the acutal treasons and deaths have already happened doesn't necessarily mean that Dany truly understand what happened and their significance yet when she hears the prophesy. She doesn't really know much about what caused Rhaegar's death (his motivations, his (likely) son by Lyanna, the prophesy of the PtwP, etc). She doesn't know how important the dragons will be in the end either since she doesn't know of the Others. So even if the treasons already happened, Dany will still have to learn a great deal before she can be said to truly [i]know[/i] them (motivations, significance, consequences, etc). And this is not just knowledge needed to understand the treasons in themselves (or the nature of treason in general) but to understand her own true purpose and that these particular treasons were important in order for it to be possible for her to do what she needs to do.[/quote]

So your assertion is that despite already have come to pass, the betrayals will help Dany understand herself and her place in the world? That's a possibility, but it seems IMO rather passive for Dany. With everything that's coming her way, I really don't want her to devote long parts of her chapters to reflecting on events that have already come to pass in an attempt to understand them. Besides, the only one that might offer real insights is the truth about Rhaegar's death, since Dany was present at/experienced the other two.

[quote]But it's possible that you're right and there is no intended connection and only one of the treasons have happened yet. Even without the connection to the visions I don't believe Jorah counts as one, much less two, of the treasons. Nothing he did or did not do has had any particular significance (so far) so it just doesn't make sense. (Not sure you ever said he was one of them though.)[/quote]

Jorah's betrayal was still a shocking event for Dany. Aside from her handmaids, he's the person who had been with her the longest, and arguably the one in whom she trusted the most despite refusing his advances. He was her link to her homeland, her closest advisor, the first of her Queensguard. If my best friend betrayed me like Jorah did to Dany, I daresay it would be traumatizing and affect me for a good while, especially in how I would now regard my other friends and my ability to create new friendships. (I'm not sure if Jorah is indeed one of the betrayers, but if he turned out to be it wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if he's the betrayal for gold in the form of Varys's promise to return home.)

[quote]Finally, the bride of fire theme is important to understand the mounts she must ride (one to bed, one to dread and one to love). She rode her silver to Drogo's bed on her wedding night (mount to bed). She will need to ride ships to get herself and her army to Westeros, the Iron Fleet perhaps? And the price for this will probably be a marriage to one of the Greyjoy uncles, both of whom would fit the vision (mount to dread). And finally a relationship of romantic (and probably sexual since the vision doesn't indicate anything else to ride) nature with Jon or possibly that he will play in important part in finding her a husband to love (mount to love).[/quote]

This part was really convincing, I think I'll adopt that as my current best guess now. :P But for the other parts, I'm still unsure. I think the slayer of lies thing is too vague to even guess now, and I've already posted my theory that Dany might be doing the betraying, and what they would correspond to in that case.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1523303' date='Sep 18 2008, 19.27']I'll acknowledge there's a possibility of a connection, but IMO we need to wait for more evidence on this matter. That this link (that is, the three fires and the slayer of lies) will likely have to wait until book 6 to be proven, since I believe Dany unlikely to reach Westeros [i]and[/i] meet Stannis and Melisandre in ADWD.[/quote]

I agree. I don't think she'll meet Stannis and/or Melisandre in ADwD either. A fake Targaryen, possibly a fake Aegon, (the cloth dragon) might turn up in ADwD though and how that turns out should either strengthen or weaken this theory.

Another detail, I just found the exact place in ACoK where this happens and she doesn't just ask for help because she doesn't understand. Once she's been told of the three fires, mounts and treasons this is what happens:

[quote name='ACoK p. 515 UK paperback']"I don't..." Her voice was no more than a wisper, almost as faint as theirs. What was happening to her? "I don't understand" she said, more loudly. Why was it so hard to talk here? "Help me. Show me."
...[i]help her[/i]...the whispers mocked...[i]show her[/i]...[/quote]

And after that comes the vision sequences. It's still not fool proof, but she does ask them to help her and show her and they acknowledge that they've heard her plea just before the visions which are three sequences of three visions just as the original prophesy was three themes with three events each. There are more visions after that, but they are not divided into groups and are not followed by words. So I'll admit it's possible that the visions are not connected even if I still think it's more likely that they are connected than it is that they aren't.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1523303' date='Sep 18 2008, 19.27']So your assertion is that despite already have come to pass, the betrayals will help Dany understand herself and her place in the world? That's a possibility, but it seems IMO rather passive for Dany. With everything that's coming her way, I really don't want her to devote long parts of her chapters to reflecting on events that have already come to pass in an attempt to understand them. Besides, the only one that might offer real insights is the truth about Rhaegar's death, since Dany was present at/experienced the other two.[/quote]

Well, Dany learning about the Others, that dragons is a good weapon against them and that she's the PtwP seems kind of unavoidable and wouldn't necessarily be passive or boring reading. For her to want to learn more about Rhaegar and what led to his death certainly would be reasonable to expect. Once she has this information (though possibly not until she's actually on the battlefield seeing the difference she and her dragons make) the realization that if she hadn't lost her brothers, (her first husband) and child she wouldn't be where she is, there wouldn't be any dragons to fight the Others, to save mankind, etc wouldn't really need to take up all that much space with internal reflections. Just be the pieces falling into place for her.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1523303' date='Sep 18 2008, 19.27']Jorah's betrayal was still a shocking event for Dany. Aside from her handmaids, he's the person who had been with her the longest, and arguably the one in whom she trusted the most despite refusing his advances. He was her link to her homeland, her closest advisor, the first of her Queensguard. If my best friend betrayed me like Jorah did to Dany, I daresay it would be traumatizing and affect me for a good while, especially in how I would now regard my other friends and my ability to create new friendships. (I'm not sure if Jorah is indeed one of the betrayers, but if he turned out to be it wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if he's the betrayal for gold in the form of Varys's promise to return home.)[/quote]

I still fail to see how Jorah's deceit/betrayal is an event significant enough to be worthy of a prophesy. If everyone who pretends to be friends to or spy on her (or both) will constitute a treason worthy of a prophesy I'm sure there would have been a lot more than three. Why doesn't Illyrio count for instance? She lived with him and he's the one giving orders to Varys and he even sold her to Drogo (completely unaware of how well she would adapt to that life) for his own profit. What makes Jorah sending reports to Varys for the hope to one day be able to go home so much worse? So if we ignore the possible connection to the visions, Illyrio should be at least as strong a contender for the treason for gold as Jorah (there's actually gold in it for Illyrio).

Elindomiel;

Thanks! :) I agree that the slayer of lies thing still is a bit vague as are the fires. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

There could be many treasons in the future and the past, that's obvious. but i'm sticking with what GRRM gives us, regardless if they are misleading! and those are ...

1/3 Treasons (Blood) in aCoK (paperback) Page 874...
" The warlocks whispered of three treasons . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love. The first traitor was surely Mirri Maz Duur, who had murdered Khal Drogo and their unborn son to avenge her people."
&
2/3 Treasons (Love) in aSoS (paperback) Page 990...
""Daenerys," he said, "I have loved you."
And there it was. Three treasons will you know. Once for blood and once for gold and once for love"

and my theory on the 3rd see page 7

[quote name='Stratonice' post='1523596' date='Sep 18 2008, 17.03']And after that comes the vision sequences. It's still not fool proof, but she does ask them to help her and show her and they acknowledge that they've heard her plea just before the visions which are three sequences of three visions just as the original prophesy was three themes with three events each. There are more visions after that, but they are not divided into groups and are not followed by words. So I'll admit it's possible that the visions are not connected even if I still think it's more likely that they are connected than it is that they aren't.[/quote]

Fair enough. Should you be proven right in the upcoming books, I'll readily acknowledge I was wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time when it comes to speculating on ASOIAF).

[quote]Well, Dany learning about the Others, that dragons is a good weapon against them and that she's the PtwP seems kind of unavoidable and wouldn't necessarily be passive or boring reading. For her to want to learn more about Rhaegar and what led to his death certainly would be reasonable to expect. Once she has this information (though possibly not until she's actually on the battlefield seeing the difference she and her dragons make) the realization that if she hadn't lost her brothers, (her first husband) and child she wouldn't be where she is, there wouldn't be any dragons to fight the Others, to save mankind, etc wouldn't really need to take up all that much space with internal reflections. Just be the pieces falling into place for her.[/quote]

If learning more about Rhaegar leads to her learning more about the Others, the PtwP prophecy and her own place in it, then I agree (and I'm sure she'll want to learn more about him since she clearly idolizes him). But brooding long on the deaths of Viserys and Rhaego would IMO be a waste of words.

[quote]I still fail to see how Jorah's deceit/betrayal is an event significant enough to be worthy of a prophesy. If everyone who pretends to be friends to or spy on her (or both) will constitute a treason worthy of a prophesy I'm sure there would have been a lot more than three. Why doesn't Illyrio count for instance? She lived with him and he's the one giving orders to Varys and he even sold her to Drogo (completely unaware of how well she would adapt to that life) for his own profit. What makes Jorah sending reports to Varys for the hope to one day be able to go home so much worse? So if we ignore the possible connection to the visions, Illyrio should be at least as strong a contender for the treason for gold as Jorah (there's actually gold in it for Illyrio).[/quote]

Illyrio's actions led to definite gains for Dany; through his intercession she gained a worthy husband (in the sense that he loved her, not that he was a merciful leader), and the dragon eggs that she hatched. Plus it seems Illyrio is part of a conspiracy to restore Targaryen rule, though I admit the evidence for that is flimsy at best. And Illyrio was never as close to Dany as Jorah became, so a betrayal by the former wouldn't have nearly the same impact as did the latter's treachery.

Even as a frightened girl in AGoT, Dany was wary of Illyrio; Jorah, on the other hand, became her close friend, advisor and protector, and he saved her life at least once. She [i]trusted[/i] Jorah, quite possibly more than she trusted anyone else. And for a long time during their acquaintance, he sent reports back to her enemies, first Robert and then the Lannisters, directly leading to at least one murder attempt on her life. That Varys didn't pass along all the information he received doesn't make Jorah less guilty of betraying her. In her latter chapters of ASoS after Jorah's betrayal is revealed (and in her spoiler chapters of ADwD), Dany is shown to be more wary and mistrustful of other people. So I'd say his treachery has had an appreciable impact on her, much more than a betrayal by Illyrio could.

Arya Nemeria Stark;

So your theory is that the betrayal for gold will be the Faceless Man from AFFC killing and replacing Marwyn, and then attempting to kill Dany and her dragons? That's a bit far-fetched, IMO. The Archmaesters would have had to know about Dany for a long time, long enough to hire a Faceless Man and have him travel to Oldtown. Besides, if they just wanted Dany dead, why have the FM come to Oldtown, and not go directly after Dany? How could the Archmaesters have guessed that Marwyn would eventually decide to go off after Dany? And why would the Faceless Man have wanted a key to open all the doors of the Citadel if he only meant to take Marwyn's place?

IMO the Faceless Man was hired by Marwyn, to kill the other Archmaesters before Dany arrives on Westeros. That would explain why the FM took Pate's place and wanted a key to open all the Citadel's doors - presumably including the doors of the Archmaesters' private rooms.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1524333' date='Sep 19 2008, 15.09']But brooding long on the deaths of Viserys and Rhaego would IMO be a waste of words.[/quote]

Which is exactly what I suggested she didn't need to do. Just suddenly realize that she wouldn't be where she is (on the battlefield, fighting the Others) if Viserys hadn't died and that she wouldn't have had her dragons without Rhaego's death would do it. No brooding necessary, just some information about the important part she and her dragons will have to play in saving mankind and then the pieces can just suddenly fall into place for her.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1524333' date='Sep 19 2008, 15.09']Illyrio's actions led to definite gains for Dany; through his intercession she gained a worthy husband (in the sense that he loved her, not that he was a merciful leader), and the dragon eggs that she hatched. Plus it seems Illyrio is part of a conspiracy to restore Targaryen rule, though I admit the evidence for that is flimsy at best. And Illyrio was never as close to Dany as Jorah became, so a betrayal by the former wouldn't have nearly the same impact as did the latter's treachery.

Even as a frightened girl in AGoT, Dany was wary of Illyrio; Jorah, on the other hand, became her close friend, advisor and protector, and he saved her life at least once. She [i]trusted[/i] Jorah, quite possibly more than she trusted anyone else. And for a long time during their acquaintance, he sent reports back to her enemies, first Robert and then the Lannisters, directly leading to at least one murder attempt on her life. That Varys didn't pass along all the information he received doesn't make Jorah less guilty of betraying her. In her latter chapters of ASoS after Jorah's betrayal is revealed (and in her spoiler chapters of ADwD), Dany is shown to be more wary and mistrustful of other people. So I'd say his treachery has had an appreciable impact on her, much more than a betrayal by Illyrio could.[/quote]

well, my point wasn't exactly that Illyrio was a great candidate for the treason for gold. I don't think either one of them is particularly likely. Not just because of my belief that the original prophesy is linked to the visions, I didn't believe Jorah was significant enough to be a contender even before I made that connection. So if I'm wrong about the connection then my plan B is that the treasons for gold and love haven't happened yet either one (just as the fires for death and to love as well as the mounts to dread and to love haven't happened yet).

I also think it's important that the betrayals/fires/mounts happen in order that they are given in the text.

Betrayals:
Blood then gold then love

Fires to light:
Life then death then love

Mounts to ride:
Bed then dread then love

[quote name='Krafus' post='1524360' date='Sep 19 2008, 06.31']Arya Nemeria Stark;

So your theory is that the betrayal for gold will be the Faceless Man from AFFC killing and replacing Marwyn, and then attempting to kill Dany and her dragons? That's a bit far-fetched, IMO. The Archmaesters would have had to know about Dany for a long time, long enough to hire a Faceless Man and have him travel to Oldtown. Besides, if they just wanted Dany dead, why have the FM come to Oldtown, and not go directly after Dany? How could the Archmaesters have guessed that Marwyn would eventually decide to go off after Dany? And why would the Faceless Man have wanted a key to open all the doors of the Citadel if he only meant to take Marwyn's place?

IMO the Faceless Man was hired by Marwyn, to kill the other Archmaesters before Dany arrives on Westeros. That would explain why the FM took Pate's place and wanted a key to open all the Citadel's doors - presumably including the doors of the Archmaesters' private rooms.[/quote]

Yeah, i wasn't too devoted to the theory but i thought i would throw it out there. I can think of many obvious treasons for gold but i thought i'd share one that was/is indeed "far-fetched"

[quote name='Daemrion' post='1525238' date='Sep 20 2008, 05.29']I also think it's important that the betrayals/fires/mounts happen in order that they are given in the text.

Betrayals:
Blood then gold then love

Fires to light:
Life then death then love

Mounts to ride:
Bed then dread then love[/quote]

That's an interesting point (even if it does go against my prefered interpretation). Especially since it seems the ones more or less everyone agrees about are the first one in each sequence. (That the treason for blood was MMD, the fire for life the one that gave birth to the dragons and the mount to bed her silver to Drogo's bed on her wedding night.) That fact would make the most sense if those three are in fact the only ones that have happened yet.

Not sure it's enough for me to drop the theory that they are connected to the visions, but it's a point worth considering.

[quote name='Stratonice' post='1524907' date='Sep 19 2008, 16.09']Which is exactly what I suggested she didn't need to do. Just suddenly realize that she wouldn't be where she is (on the battlefield, fighting the Others) if Viserys hadn't died and that she wouldn't have had her dragons without Rhaego's death would do it. No brooding necessary, just some information about the important part she and her dragons will have to play in saving mankind and then the pieces can just suddenly fall into place for her.[/quote]

Hmm... Well, that could work... But I'm afraid I'm still not convinced that those visions represent the three treasons. We've both stated and detailed our arguments without convincing the other - what say we agree to disagree, and let future books determine who was right?

[quote]well, my point wasn't exactly that Illyrio was a great candidate for the treason for gold. I don't think either one of them is particularly likely. Not just because of my belief that the original prophesy is linked to the visions, I didn't believe Jorah was significant enough to be a contender even before I made that connection. So if I'm wrong about the connection then my plan B is that the treasons for gold and love haven't happened yet either one (just as the fires for death and to love as well as the mounts to dread and to love haven't happened yet).[/quote]

Heh heh. Again, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree until we get more info. :)

Daemrion:

Good point, I'd never thought of that.

Arya Nemeria:

[quote]Yeah, i wasn't too devoted to the theory but i thought i would throw it out there. I can think of many obvious treasons for gold but i thought i'd share one that was/is indeed "far-fetched"[/quote]

No problem with that. Certainly in GRRM's world there always seems to be plenty of candidates for treason.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1525391' date='Sep 20 2008, 14.54']We've both stated and detailed our arguments without convincing the other - what say we agree to disagree, and let future books determine who was right?[/quote]

Sounds reasonable. :)
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for some more clues.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone. My first post here, as I've just finished reading FfC. Thought I'd share my opinions here as no-one in the real world will want to hear them ;-)

A couple of ideas I've had; the three treasons that Daenerys will know I think are the three cities she has conquered. She took Astapor by turning the Unsullied upon their former masters, for the blood they shed and have spilled. She defeated Yunkai by turning their sellswords against them, through gold. And she will betray Meeren by allowing her dragons to toast and munch their way through the population, for love (of her dragons, obviously).

As for the two remaining dragon riders, I think Jon will be one, and that Tyrion the other. I believe Tyrion is actually of Targayren blood; it would explain why Tywin hated him so much, why he wouldn't let him inherit Casterly Rock and why Tyrion dreamed of dragons. Of course other reasons could explain those, but I think it fits nicely.

And another consequence of this, the volanqar who will strangle Cersei will be Jaime, not Tyrion...

Crackpot theory alert:
GRRM doesn't need to write the rest of Dany's story with the prophecy in mind. The prophecy was worded vaguely enough and her story is complex enough that if he just let's it unfold, people will be able to debate it for years and think they have the answer. I don't think the threes will be explained explicitly even at the end, and as such the readers will constantly debate it. So why does GRRM even need to answer it for himself?

The final treason will be when Jon kills Dany for love of House Stark with the Kingslayer and possibly Barristan the Bold defending her. Posthumously, it will be blamed on the Kingslayer. We all know that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. We all know that Jon will be offerred to be made legitimate 3 times. The first time was Stannis. The second time will be Brynden with Rob's will. The third time will be Dany after she learns who Jon is. I've never felt comfortable predicting how that last one will play out before. But now I believe Jon will come to the conclusion that the dragons have to die. He will kill Dany, possibly Tyrion (bastard son of Aerys), and he will keep his secret and never have children.

There have been a few characters in the story who have said or thought "There is no one so accursed as the Kinslayer." This is like a red flag indicating that there will be some serious kinslaying in the story sometime in the future.
The jolonquar subplot may be what that's all about, but Myrcella and Tommen are abominations born of incest, so I'm not sure that really counts.

• 2 years later...

Archived