Tragedy at Summerhall - My Opinion

Ser Cold Fingers

hmm. could varys/illyrio's gift be 3 of the seven?

you make a good point about gohh's motives with rhaegar if jenny WAS the intended sacrifice, by logic she wouldnt tell him. or, maybe she told him to spark all this death in revenge for summerhall, to lead him to bring about robert's rebellion and blatantly cause the extinction of nearly all targs.

it boils down to, grrm needs to cancel more cons. we need more. :P

IMO, Varys came across several eggs in the fourth level of the Black Cells...the area where he makes Tyrion close his eyes. The lowest level is used for torture. It is supposedly safer to go through the fourth level of the dungeons in darkness, because there are things one would not wish to see...however, I believe the lowest level is Vary's 'apartment' for a lack of a better term. Varys disappears for long stints...my guess is he is down there, plotting. He can move around through hidden passages, even passages that Jaime & Co cannot find. Down there, Varys has stashed all the dragon eggs he found, gold, crowns, etc. All the things a Targaryen would (will) need upon taking the IT again.

IMO, Varys came across several eggs in the fourth level of the Black Cells...the area where he makes Tyrion close his eyes. The lowest level is used for torture. It is supposedly safer to go through the fourth level of the dungeons in darkness, because there are things one would not wish to see...however, I believe the lowest level is Vary's 'apartment' for a lack of a better term. Varys disappears for long stints...my guess is he is down there, plotting. He can move around through hidden passages, even passages that Jaime & Co cannot find. Down there, Varys has stashed all the dragon eggs he found, gold, crowns, etc. All the things a Targaryen would (will) need upon taking the IT again.

interesting. we truly dont know whats down there. not bad, man

interesting. we truly dont know whats down there. not bad, man

Thank you. I've been theorizing (in my head only until now) what all is actually down there. The only time we get a POV there, he is forced to go through in complete darkness...with the lame excuse of things you wish not to see. I could buy it if he were leading Sansa through there...but Tyrion? Doesn't fit.

Thank you. I've been theorizing (in my head only until now) what all is actually down there. The only time we get a POV there, he is forced to go through in complete darkness...with the lame excuse of things you wish not to see. I could buy it if he were leading Sansa through there...but Tyrion? Doesn't fit.

I'm assuming that you figured out that super old jailor in charge of the black cells is simply one of Varys' Secret identities? He's been in charge of the black sells for at least 12 years or more. Your idea seems credible, he definitely could have been secreting away anything he would find useful for King fAegon.

The seven eggs of Summerhall and the three eggs that Danny has, are a good parallel for the seven versus three that took place at the tower of joy.

I'm assuming that you figured out that super old jailor in charge of the black cells is simply one of Varys' Secret identities? He's been in charge of the black sells for at least 12 years or more. Your idea seems credible, he definitely could have been secreting away anything he would find useful for King fAegon.

The seven eggs of Summerhall and the three eggs that Danny has, are a good parallel for the seven versus three that took place at the tower of joy.

Rugen...he was the undergaoler...which was Varys...since Aerys II!

Known Varys Disguises

• Stout Man in a heavy brown robe in roughspun...when talking with Eddard Stark (AGoT, Chapter 30)
  • A begging brother with rotted teeth (ACoK, chapter 44)
  • Plump, soft woman when meeting with Tyrion (ASoS, Chapter 12)
  • Rugen

Another thought is that Tyrion is holding Tyrek Lannister down there too...along with the cache of Targaryen 'things'.

Rugen...he was the undergaoler...which was Varys...since Aerys II!

Known Varys Disguises

• Stout Man in a heavy brown robe in roughspun...when talking with Eddard Stark (AGoT, Chapter 30)

A begging brother with rotted teeth (ACoK, chapter 44)

Plump, soft woman when meeting with Tyrion (ASoS, Chapter 12)

Rugen

Another thought is that Tyrion is holding Tyrek Lannister down there too...along with the cache of Targaryen 'things'.

ive been wondering is varys was in hiding, or portraying someone else in disguise that weve had all along, in his "disappearance" in affc/adwd

I don't, it was a theory hatched on the comments thread of a reddit post. The premise is simple: if you do the wrong thing with a dragon egg, you can cause a bomb-like explosion. That's what they did by accident at summer hall, and the Faceless Men did it on purpose at the Doom of Valyria. George always talks about the dragons being like nuclear weapons... Well, what it that's more literally true that we thought? A similar line of think notices that all the riders of the black dragons seem to be sterile or have a hard time having any children, even worse than regular Targs. If you buy the idea that Aenys was not Aegon's child, and that Maegor required Visenya's sorcery to be conceived, this fits. Like, sitting on top of a dragon (I think it's just the black dragons) radiates your junk, you know?

Anyway, if dragon eggs can be used as bombs, it explains why Jaquen Hagar in the guise of Pate has stolen a book about Dragonlore from the citadel. He could have been working for someone, like Marwan, but I suspect he's on actual FM business. They have a well known anti-dragon agenda. The FM likely got a dragons egg from Euron in exchange for the killing of Balon, which has never made sense until you consider they might be trying to relearn the secret of setting of a dragon egg bomb. Diabolical.

It sounds kind of wild, but then, something happened at Summerhall. They had eggs there and magic and fire... And somehow, Ka-boom. It sounds like more than just an out of control fire to me, more like an explosion and firestorm.

Thats why Targaryens where able to rule Westero's has absolute monarchs and seen has gods before Dance around Viserys I and Old Kings reign. It was there deterrent to prevent rebellion or anyone else from challenging them. After that Wildfire became the Targaryen weapon of nukes so to say but it wasn't has effective has a nuke IE dragon launched by air.

Well there are two options, 1) it was an accident in which case it is just unfortunate that so many of the royal family died, or 2) it was murder. If it was murder then you have to look at who has the most to gain and the murder weapon. Maelys Blackfyre did have a lot to gain if the entire royal family was to die, but there is no evidence of fire being a preferred method of killing. He killed his brother in combat and lost to Sir Barristan Selmy also in combat. So fire does not seem to fit is personality. Aerys on the other hand also has a lot to gain as well. He gets closer to the throne and his father is a pushover. Also Tywin get a lot closer to being hand of the king. In a couple of years Aerys is King and Tywin is Hand. Fire fits Aerys very well and killing Kings and Royal families is definitely something Tywin feels very comfortable doing and feeling no remorse. He did it with Aerys family and Robb Stark so it would be within his character to kill Aegon and his family.

Ser Cold Fingers - Well done pulling in the quote from Dunk's dream. This is really fascinating and has sparked some insightful comments. Like others, I cannot imagine Egg or the GHH cooperating in anything that would endanger Jenny - not even for a dragon.

The World Book does not show any children between Duncan and Jenny. Has that been confirmed anywhere?

Archived