Tragedy at Summerhall - My Opinion

Ser Cold Fingers

Ive always believed the tragedy at Summerhall was a ritual of sorts to hatch a dragon. Perhaps a blood sacrifice was made, to power the magic, and inevitably no eggs were hatched, so the sacrifice was for naught

(I wont go into logistics specifically, but it's a common misconception that

kingsblood is a primary ingredient, when in actuality it's valyrian blood that seems to have the most success, not all those from king's have the valyrian ingredient, thus resulting in failed magic [see Melisandre's success rate])

one could argue though, since the day of the Summerhall tragedy was Rhaegar's birthday, was the ritual a failure? Technically, a dragon DID hatch. Was the ritual in fact a failure? I know no dragons of the scaley kind hatched, but we did get Rhaegar.

It begs the question of, who was sacrificed? Was it someone named Jenny?

Two kings to wake the dragon. First the father than the son so both die as kings.

:dunno:

I just thought he had his own Summerhall theory in the works, and I was encouraging him to put it out. But... who knows. I love the summerhall thing, which is why I was so excited to read your OP, something new that makes sense.

It's not often that anyone catches the meaning of a foreshadowing dream BEFORE the event occurs. Er, before it happens in the past we haven't seen yet. Oh god. My mind.

Ser Cold Fingers - Well done pulling in the quote from Dunk's dream. This is really fascinating and has sparked some insightful comments. Like others, I cannot imagine Egg or the GHH cooperating in anything that would endanger Jenny - not even for a dragon.

The World Book does not show any children between Duncan and Jenny. Has that been confirmed anywhere?

I believe that the GoHH and Rhaegar both had grief in common...which forged a bond between them. Rhaegar loved his silver stringed harp and by all accounts, had a lovely voice. Since we know that the GoHH loves hearing Jenny's Song...my speculation is that Rhaegar was at Summerhall, alone in his youth...he was playing his harp and singing songs. When he sang Jenny's Song, the GoHH came out of the shadows and approached Rhaegar. They spoke and forged a bond. Aegon did collect scrolls about hatching dragons from all over the known world...they have have survived the tragedy, but were lost in the rubble. The GoHH may have known where they are and showed them to Rhaegar...and she started to tell him her dreams, which are prophetic. Between the scrolls and the dreams, Rhaegar determined that he must be a warrior.

And if you remember, it was the Woods Witch (GoHH) that Jenny brought to court that told Jaehaerys II that the Prince that was Promised would be born from Rhaella & Aerys...their first born was Rhaegar. So the GoHH already has a vested interest in Rhaegar. Rhaegar first thought he was TPtwP...but soon began to believe that it would be his son (Aegon...the only son he had at the time he made that comment to Aemon).

As far as we know, they did not have any children.

• 2 months later...

A bump for one of my favorite threads... and a gift for everyone scrolling through the, shall we say, threads of a lower quality searching for something interesting. Love this one Ser Cold Fingers.

Good read and sounds plausible. I guess there's four scenarios as to what could have transpired at Summerhall

1. Attempt at hatching a dragon that went wrong. That would mean that Egg "caught" the Targaryen madness in the end.

2. Political coup a la the Red Wedding that has been covered up by stories of crazy Targaryens and their obsession with dragons.

3. Combination of the above 2: attempt at hatching a dragon that has been deliberately sabotaged by another party

4. Something entirely different

• 1 month later...

I just had a rather crazy thought. We know that Archmaester Gyldayn was the last Maester at Summerhall. The well known author of the very biased Princess and the Queen. Also the Blacks and the Greens.  Is it possible that he could have helped cause the tragedy?  He also managed to survive the tragedy which is suspect.  

Since we know that the majority of House Targaryen died that day. One would assume a majority of the Kingsguard died as well. The new young Lord Commander appointed after was none other than Gerold Hightower. Thoughts?

Well that theory does not really jive with what we learn about the Doom in the worldbook.  I thought you were referencing a theory that had the maesters replace real dragon eggs with fake hollow eggs filled with wildfire.

That could also have been the truth of it, maybe not the maesters, but simply a Blackfyre ploy to kill Egg, in which they likely succeeded. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much!

Credit where credit is due!

Have you listened to History of Westeros' latest episode? It's all about Summerhall. Quite excellent, of course. I'd recommend it.

I am happy to see this thread bumped to the forefront again.  There are some great visuals presented from Dunk's perspective that truly appear to foreshadow Summerhall.  Dunk is always wondering how his lowly born foot could be valuable to the realm since it was spared from being cut off by the Trial-by-Battle-by-Seven.  I believe this is where he uses the reprieved hand and foot to rescue Rhaegar and possibly his parents - - likely at Egg's orders to save them first, dooming Egg unfortunately.  But we'll see. 

Archived