The Dornish Master Plan (Spoilers)

I tend to be of the belief that Martin is writing a work of literature, not a jigsaw puzzle. I think a lot of theories like this, which attempt to weave convoluted pieces of "evidence" together for an all-encompassing "theory" ignore the actual narrative, themes, and characterizations at play.

Martin has written Arianne and Doran's storylines very carefully, and very well. My own thoughts on the two of theme are here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119855-love-trust-guilt-dorans-not-keeping-anything-from-arianne/?p=6410634. I don't see Doran as keeping anything from Arianne, nor do I see him being an ultimate puppet matter weaving everything to his end.

I also take issue with presenting theories in youtube form, which don't allow for the reader to go back and check the quotes and see how previous claims fit in. It's a very constructed way to give us "evidence" and it doesn't really allow for critical analysis the way essays do.

To be fair, he's still keeping at least two things from her, for whatever reason: who ratted on her, and who's his friend(s) in KL. I do agree that he doesn't have this plan to end all plans, though, since it would go against the character GRRM has constructed so far. Like, Doran gets that war is not easy and that it has a price, and it is not just some "aha!" party trick moment when he pulls a master plan out of his hat. Hell, I'd say the absence of a master plan and the fact that most of his plans have failed and led him to the path of war is what constitutes what I ultimately think will be his downfall (and Dorne's).

But that's just my interpretation, of course.

As any Jacobs theory this has nice points, but, as always, he descended too deep into crackpot.

Few points I find plausible

1) Vargo works for doran

2) Qybern works for him

3) Illyrio/Varys conspiracy opposes Dorans.

4) And, ofc, Dorans plan being much deeper than we seen yet.

I doubt HS is his pawn, since I've found a quote about opposite in Princess in Tower.

And ofc, mercenaries across the world can't act on his behalf.

So I posted about this guy a while back I believe (at least I had planned to).  Not sure if anyone has posted about him before but this guy seriously has the best theories.  Not everyone will go along with him but he definitely knows his stuff and researches very in depth and cites every source for his claims.  Definitely check out at least the series on the Martells and the Pink Letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBfdd_xNVo&list=PLCsx_OFEYH6uvfZSfec35DXBEpvA9fpm0&index=1

I have watched his videos and actually subscribe to his YT channel.  He is entertaining, that I will give him.  I don't hold that against Mr. Jacobs, I mean you do have to entertain.  Rather than simply repeat and parrot the theories that are already out there, why not take a chance and come up with some far out theories that are entertaining.   It's hard to beat Preston Jacobs for entertainment value, but yeah, he is out there.  And he even admits it himself, that half of it may be wrong. 

I'm not sold on the Dornish Master Plan and the Alliances of Iron.  However, the LF Debt Scheme has some parts to it that could be true.  The Tower of Joy is well-researched, but again, I am not convinced, yet.  I think we will definitely know more when WoW comes out.  The Riverland of the Dragons is another one that is darn good entertainment, but I am not sold on the idea that those river lords were plotting to start a fight between the Starks and the Lannisters.  However, his "what you are missing" is very good.  Not that I agree with all of his interpretations, but there is enough there to get most people thinking.  The lemon tree is another one that is out there and he really takes a big leap in what he says.

For something more serious and more grounded, I prefer Alt Shift X. 

To be fair, he's still keeping at least two things from her, for whatever reason: who ratted on her, and who's his friend(s) in KL. I do agree that he doesn't have this plan to end all plans, though, since it would go against the character GRRM has constructed so far. Like, Doran gets that war is not easy and that it has a price, and it is not just some "aha!" party trick moment when he pulls a master plan out of his hat. Hell, I'd say the absence of a master plan and the fact that most of his plans have failed and led him to the path of war is what constitutes what I ultimately think will be his downfall (and Dorne's).

But that's just my interpretation, of course.

I agree Doran is keeping his cards really close to his chest. I do think he has a plan that will be revealed in Winds. I also fear that not letting Arianne on the plan will come back to bite him and Dorne in the ass.

Archived