Heresy 145

Black Crow

Good question. I have not seen it discussed here... but was looking at that poem just the other day. Would be an interesting direction to take the discussion, in terms of Martin's likely source material...

Mistah Kurtz - he dead

A penny for the Old Guy

I've been rereading ACOk and for some reason an Arya chapter where they were burying their poacher, Mister Kurz, made me think of the authors most influenced by Conrad and it led me to this poem by Eliot. That the second line apparently refers to a British tradition (please BC correct me if I'm talking out my ass) of buying fireworks to light an effigy of Guy Fawkes makes me think of the burning scarecrow lord Beric our novel's revolutionary. (perhaps subtly referenced by Anguy the Archer?)

The idea of men leading a pointless and hollow existence at the banks of a river (River Styx?) calls to mind the Night's watch pointless existence on the banks of their own frozen river, the Wall.

Even the opening lines could serve as a rejoinder to the Night's watch Oath

I am the sword in the Darkness

I am the watcher on the walls

I am the shield that guards the realm of men

We are the hollow men

We are the stuffed men

leaning together

heads filled with straw. Alas!

Which also is reminiscent of the "scarecrow sentinels" of the Nightswatchmen placed on top of the Wall during Mance's "invasion".

I'd guess Martin didn't spend a whole lot of time on floor plan consideration, math, or the arrangement of the crypt furniture.

But that's the "oldest" part of Winterfell, right? What they built first, he had to start there!

While I kid, I wonder if there are any parallels between the Winterfell crypts and how the Reynes and whichever House controlled the Rock at the time dug their caverns and mines, with the Reynes specifically turning them into functional spaces. I don't think there is a parallel between the Houses themselves, just the idea of deep locations within the physical geography which contrast with the larger castles we see such as Storm's End.

Archived