Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the (potential) right to be free from insult

Ser Scot A Ellison

Ramsay,

In fairness the same argument can be used in favor of such speech restrictions. Neither Canada nor Australia are about to become States where people cannot reasonably be afraid to offer their political opinions.

This comes down to, in my opinion, a preference for more or less State interfearance in political speech. Neither side can show more than, "it hasn't screwed things up as badly as it can be screwed up." Therefore, I think it comes down to a genuine difference of opinion on where to draw the line.

Ramsay,

In fairness the same argument can be used in favor of such speech restrictions. Neither Canada nor Australia are about to become States where people cannot reasonably be afraid to offer their political opinions.

This comes down to, in my opinion, a preference for more or less State interfearance in political speech. Neither side can show more than, "it hasn't screwed things up as badly as it can be screwed up." Therefore, I think it comes down to a genuine difference of opinion on where to draw the line.

I agree. Shryke was claiming that such laws inhibit the spread of those ideas, and I was challenging that claim

• 2 weeks later...

Ramsay,

Yes, it isn't really possible for either side to win this one. At least on evidence, too few data points, not enough history. Let's get back to this a few centuries from now.

Archived