Old Nan and Ser Duncan the Tall

Red Rahloo Connington

I'm on another read through of A Game of Thrones and got to the part where Bran is talking about Old Nan and how she came to Winterfell as a wetnurse to another Brandon Stark. Bran says that Old Nan claims to have wetnursed for his grandfathers brother but that the story often changed upon telling. I got curious and decided to go to The World of Ice and Fire's Stark family tree to look for this Brandon.Now neither Rickard or Edwyle Stark have any sibling named Brandon but I did find that Edwyle had a cousin named Brandon, son of Artos "The Implacable" Stark. If this is the Brandon that Old Nan is speaking of, then this puts her in Winterfell around the same time as Ser Duncan the Tall. We know that Ser Duncan the Tall was heading north to find service with Beron Stark Artos' father who was gathering swords to drive out the Ironmen. I'm a fan of Old Nan and Duncan the tall being the girl and knight that Bran saw in his werewood vision, and it is so like Dunk to come to Winterfell and find a love interest at a time when the Starks are all at eachothers throats.

Old Nan's usefulness as far as the plot goes leads me to believe we won't see her again.there will be many a reference to her stories I'm sure. I do like to think she was a love interest of Duncan's, but I cant see how that effects the present other than explaining hodors enormity

Old Nan's usefulness as far as the plot goes leads me to believe we won't see her again.there will be many a reference to her stories I'm sure. I do like to think she was a love interest of Duncan's, but I cant see how that effects the present other than explaining hodors enormity

Haha yea I agree. I treat it as a sort of easter egg

Yeah it's a cool little detail that makes the stories Alittle more interesting... It adds a layer or some flavor if you will... But it doesn't effect story really it just ties it to the tales... Her role is to help set up the world with her stories.

This is really the kind Of stuff that makes these stories so good though. The depth of all the characters is great

Before TWOW there will be a book called The tales of Old Nan with over 500 pages of short tales.

BTW, GRRM has not started writing it

That's ridiculous! It's 1500 pages, the other 1000 go through every day of her life and vividly describes her breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Archived