Why did Roose want Barristan dead?

Stormborn36

How many people still alive, with impeccable honor, can that be said of? He knows that his new bannermen are really "Arya's" and they want a reason to revolt against him... openly. Anyone who can challenge her claim is a threat to him.

It could also be something much more personal dating back to before the events of AGOT.

I read the title post. I found a potential answer.

The only people who know for sure is GRRM and anyone who he may have told, which since this is the first time I noticed a thread with this subject is probably not many people since nobody probably asked.

How many people still alive, with impeccable honor, can that be said of? He knows that his new bannermen are really "Arya's" and they want a reason to revolt against him... openly. Anyone who can challenge her claim is a threat to him.

It could also be something much more personal dating back to before the events of AGOT.

The only people who know for sure is GRRM and anyone who he may have told, which since this is the first time I noticed a thread with this subject is probably not many people since nobody probably asked.

Given that neither Arya nor Jeyne Poole had been born during Robert's Rebellion, I find your assertion dubious at best.

When the Trident happened, Aerys was still alive, and remained alive for a good time into the aftermath. Barristan is one of the greatest knights the realm has ever seen, and absolutely loyal. Roose had good reason to suggest he be swiftly killed rather than treated, as so long as Aerys remained alive, Robert wasn't king. There was no 'pardoning' to do. Barristan would have to be treated as a prisoner until the day Robert sat the throne, and this prisoner had killed Maelys the Monstrous and infiltrated and tore his way through a castle single-handed to save his king.

Barristan was supremely dangerous at the time, especially to Robert.

Not sure if this has been talked about, but this is something that has always stood out to me. Martin goes out of his way to express that during Robert's Rebellion, Roose Bolton counseled that Robert should slash Selmy's throat. Now... This could be your basic, logical explanation in that Selmy was a loyal guy to who he originally served and could cause issues. However, the fact that George goes out of his way to say that it was Roose who suggested killing Selmy really intrigues me. Anyone have any thoughts on why? Is it just the simple assumption or does anyone have any interesting ideas? Crackpot or not.

It was, not too long ago, but basically it's like this:

Roose was being Roose. Mercy's not his style.

Roose was being pragmatic. He doesn't know that Robert could persuade Selmy to join him. The stories of the Kingsguard are that they serve for life and live for loyalty, that's what he would know about him. That and his reputation, let alone him singlehandedly saving the King's life, fighting like a beast at the Trident and faithfully being in service to the Targs for years. He was in the right, but ignorant of Robert's charm and Barristan's odd need for the white cloak. Barristan makes a shit hostage, he technically has no family, no lands, no titles and his life is forfeit to his King's pleasure. Bolton couldn't know that Mace Tyrell would sit at Storm's End continuing the siege instead of sending his army at them. Robb had a reason to keep the most dangerous man in Westeros alive (Jaime), he had a powerful family and family of his own that might be traded for, the Rebels didn't have any reason to keep Selmy alive other than Robert's warrior's..."honour?"

I find it more interesting that this tidbit confirmed Roose played some role (maybe even a major one?) on the Trident, and brought men when Lord Stark called his banners. That might explain why Robb trusted him.

Well the Boltons are #2 in the North in terms of traditional power/prestige behind only The Starks, so medieval politics (and medieval military mobilization) being what they are, Ned kinda has to bring him and give him an important spot.

It's also generally a good idea, I would imagine, for any Lord Stark to keep his generation's corresponding Lord Bolton and his army somewhere where he can keep an eye on him. :) i.e. not back at home in The North to make a power play unmolested, the peril of which is illustrated very early in A Clash Of Kings in the form of Ramsay starting shit in Hornwood lands.

Does'nt change the fact that he can still give a legitimate offer in a completely different scenario. Aerys was mad, and Barristan defended his right to be a mad tyrant. Like most Northmen, Roose is likely to have had an issue with that, and Barristan later shows that he did not change, he cares only about the white armor and the prestige of the job and goes from Robert's son and heir to Dany. Offering to slit his throat was a solid advice at the time.

I understand what you are saying, but it simply doesn't make sense for Roose to act in such a manner out of some righteous moral outrage:

He couldn't have predicted that Barristan would leapfrog from claimant to claimant like he has.

I find it more interesting that this tidbit confirmed Roose played some role (maybe even a major one?) on the Trident, and brought men when Lord Stark called his banners. That might explain why Robb trusted him.

Rickard Karstark, Wyman Manderly, Greatjon Umber, and presumably the Glovers, Helman Tallhart, Medger Cerwyn and Halys Hornwood as well, all of the Northern lords were supposed to be with Ned on the Trident.

Roose was right. Sir Barristan was the Kings guard commander sworn to protect the King (Aerys). There was nothing to suggest that given the chance he wouldn't have tried to kill Robert. Also what would happen once Robert became king? The Kingsguard are a brotherhood sworn for life which means he cant be fired. So if Robert kept Sir Barristan alive then that would mean he will have to accept a former enemy as head of his security.

Seems like most of you are on the same page here. Thanks for the input. I kind of assumed the same, that it was mainly to develop Roose's cold character, etc... but I still always wondered, and was just trying to see if anyone out there had some out of the box thought that I couldn't come up with. All I know is I'm glad Robert didn't listen to Roose because Barristan is the fuckin man! Love his POVs. Gonna suck when he dies, no matter how epic he goes out (no way he makes it to the end of the story).

Arya and Jeyne Poole wasn't even born at the time Roose urged Robert to kill Barristan. We are talking about a battle which took place 15 years before the series.

Archived