October Reading Thread

pat5150

WOW.

Nearly finished Tom Holland's 'Rubicon'. Oh my god, this is history at its best. Fantastic account of the rise and fall of the Roman Republic. Well written and researched with all the action and political backstabbing to keep a Borgia happy. If you think the antics and intrigue in Kings Landing are exciting and breathless you will love this book. I'm with Grigg Rhys Jones on this one;' Rubicon makes history read like a thrilling mafia epic. Classical celebrities who flit across the subconscious of half-educated people like me keep walking in and swaggerig about, all alive.'

Julius Caesar - a bastard yes, but what a bloody genius.

On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers. My first Powers book. Readable, some nice atmospheric touches, but got me itching for the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of Arete - Gene Wolfe. In anticipation for the next novel in the Latro series which I'll probably be able to read and review in the next month. I didn't find these books as accessible as the Solar Cycle, I had a hard time following all the names and figuring out where, if anywhere, the plot was going. I like Wolfe, but this series is relatively less wondrous or compelling, thus far.

My parents were visiting and made me read The Alchemist. It was pretty bad.

I also saw Marjane Satrapi speak last week, and got a signed copy of Persepolis. Which is awesome.

bellis

I just read a bunch of books and reread a couple. The best so far is Moorcock's Elric series (reread). It's so sad that the old fantasy books are so much better than what is coming out nowadays. Only Clive Barker and GRRM have really good books released lately that can compare to the old sf/fantasy classics unless the new Covenant books have been released. I've been meaning to search those out, I somehow heard there would be a third series?

Robin Hobb - hmm I used to think she was the best but rereading her stuff now makes me think only the first Assasin's Apprentice was genius. The rest are still good, just not on par with the best of the best.

Can't recall when I last posted.

Finished off the last of the Conan compilations, The Conquering Sword of Conan. All I can say is that Robert E. Howard was a genius. Staggeringly well-written, all of it.

Currently reading The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. So far, well-written, interesting, strong.

Three books left on the shelf before I need something new, so a fresh Amazon order is in the works. Unfortunately, the Elric books seem to be completely out of print, so I may have an issue getting a shot at those.

You think? It's not fantasy, you know.

Neither is Persepolis. I don't just report on fantasy here. I thought it was badly written stylistically, though the story itself wasn't too bad and i liked the ending. maybe right now, i'm philosophicallty in a place where i can't take the new age bullshit too seriously. on the other hand, i like Petit Prince and Khalil Gibran's The Prophet quite a bit, so i'm not always down on the "whoa, like that's so simple it's like really deep" genre.

Neither is Persepolis. I don't just report on fantasy here. I thought it was badly written stylistically, though the story itself wasn't too bad and i liked the ending. maybe right now, i'm philosophicallty in a place where i can't take the new age bullshit too seriously. on the other hand, i like Petit Prince and Khalil Gibran's The Prophet quite a bit, so i'm not always down on the "whoa, like that's so simple it's like really deep" genre.

I thought you didn't like it because you were expecting fantasy. ;) Because if you were, then I understand how it would suck for you.

That said, the fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean it's bullshit. I don't think Paulo Coelho intends to write philosophy on the scale of Le Petit Prince or The Prophet. He uses simple prose because he is first and foremost a "conteur", and "contes" use simple prose. If you approach it as philosophy, of course you'll find it poorly written.

WOW.

Nearly finished Tom Holland's 'Rubicon'. Oh my god, this is history at its best. ...

Julius Caesar - a bastard yes, but what a bloody genius.

Glad you've given it such a good write up. My boss recently gave me a copy after my trip to Rome and I'll be trying to read it this weekend.

N

Archived