Why are the Comments Sections so .... well, you know what I mean

The King in Black

The comments section doesn't give a fuck who's posting,

This is actually why I like them. A lot of forums tend toward being echo chambers, and, even when they aren't, moderation means people have to think a little bit about what they're saying. With comments sections, though, people just say whatever the hell they want, no filters. That 90% of comments are absolutely vile and that half the remainder are inane is just the cost of doing business.

Castel, if I ever come across a massive fortune I'd like to hire you to ghost write my autobiography. You say what I want to say, or what I realize I should have said, pretty much all the time. What's your going rate?

I probably wouldn't cost that much, generally. It's probably a different story if you want four autobiographies like your posts indicate :P

This is actually why I like them. A lot of forums tend toward being echo chambers, and, even when they aren't, moderation means people have to think a little bit about what they're saying. With comments sections, though, people just say whatever the hell they want, no filters. That 90% of comments are absolutely vile and that half the remainder are inane is just the cost of doing business.

It depends on the topic. On reddit there are certain heavily moderated topics that do all the better for it Mods on. AskHistorians and AskScience will jump down your throat if you make a bunch of unsourced claims that are just you spouting shit. As a result they're some of the best subs on the site. In theory they're all echo chambers. In practice:"being able to source claims and make substantive arguments before you leave a bunch of laypeople with the impression that they understand something" is apparently not that big of a deterrent for people with sound opinions.

Speaking for myself, I don't think that there's necessarily no cost to exposing myself to a free-for-all though. First off: the site itself might be biased immediately and upvote systems in comments make this worse.It won't help you if you have an unrestrained bunch of commentators but...most of the commentators share a position. On top of that I think they can actually introduce a bias. This is why there was some discussion a year or so ago about popular science magazines thinking about dropping comments; the negativity disproportionately affected people's opinions apparently.

Archived