The concept of 'Safe Spaces'

Fragile Bird

Shockingly, it's entirely possible for something to be paternalistic and correct all at the same time. Just because us whiteys have been super rascist in the past doesn't necessarily mean that individual white people can't know what's best in a specific circumstance.

And there we go once again with the presumption that it takes a white person being there to know what's right.

Of course a white person can be right, but that doesn't mean only white people can be right and you can show respect for a group by letting them make their own decisions (whether they end up right or wrong) instead of just acting on the assumption that without you it will be wrong.

Nestor, I think I disagree about the support groups for victims of sexual assault. Well, at least in an ideal world I would like to see four groups being available, one each for men and women, one for both sexes, one or more for various LGBT groups, but that is likely unrealistic. Probably groups for women and an all-inclusive group are the more likely scenarios, simply because most assaults are committed against women. But if an LGBT support group wants to meet on campus behind closed doors, I don't have a problem with that.

But overall, I am uncomfortable with groups that exclude people on the basis of race, religion or gender.

So you are saying "Separate but Equal". I'm pretty sure that isn't acceptable anymore.

And the concept of "Safe Spaces" that exclude any race, creed, or gender by definition is hypocritical and racist in its self.

So you are saying "Separate but Equal". I'm pretty sure that isn't acceptable anymore.

And the concept of "Safe Spaces" that exclude any race, creed, or gender by definition is hypocritical and racist in its self.

Do you have reading comprehension difficulties, or are you just a troll?

Do you have reading comprehension difficulties, or are you just a troll?

No I do not. You stated that there should be separate groups for sexual assault victims for therapy. That implies separate but equal.

There will be no true diversity until that type of thinking vanishes.

I'm sure you have good intentions but that the separate group idea you stated is backward thinking.

Sorry if you are offended. That wasn't my intent.

No I do not. You stated that there should be separate groups for sexual assault victims for therapy. That implies separate but equal.

There will be no true diversity until that type of thinking vanishes.

I'm sure you have good intentions but that the separate group idea you stated is backward thinking.

Sorry if you are offended. That wasn't my intent.

That's all right. I just read your posts in the American Politics thread. Troll it is!

Archived