Stannis and Mel

watson98

Is anyone aware of how Stannis and Melisandre met? I couldn't remember reading about it and I couldn't find it in the wiki...

P.S. Also as a side note, what was Stannis' sigil before he converted and had the burning heart? Was is just the Baratheon sigil or was it a personalized one?

Is anyone aware of how Stannis and Melisandre met? I couldn't remember reading about it and I couldn't find it in the wiki...

P.S. Also as a side note, what was Stannis' sigil before he converted and had the burning heart? Was is just the Baratheon sigil or was it a personalized one?

I think Melisandre came to Dragonstone a couple of years prior to AGOT, and converted Selyse, and impressed Stannis with her magical powers. I'm not sure at what point they became lovers.

Mel had arived some time before AGOT. She has had enough time by at least the end of AGOT to be noticable enough for Varys to pick up on and report to Tywin that a Shadowbinder had recently taken service with Stannis. Last news Varys has from Stannis is from early-middle of AGOT, as six months prior to ACOK Stannis had closed off the island.

Mel had arrived in Dragonstone because she had seen a vision of Stannis leading the fight against the darkness with Lightbringer held in his hand. From that vision she tries to rationalise everything else about the AAR prophecy - Dragonstone is the place of smoke and salt, by sacrificing his religion Stannis is reforging Lightbringer.

Stannis' sigil was the Baratheon sigil, he only changed it after converting.

Mel had arrived some time before AGOT. She has had enough time by at least the end of AGOT to be noticeable enough for Varys to pick up on and report to Tywin that a Shadowbinder had recently taken service with Stannis. Last news Varys has from Stannis is from early-middle of AGOT, as six months prior to ACOK Stannis had closed off the island.

You make a good point with Mel arriving before Stannis closed off the island, six months before Clash's prologue, else Varys couldn't have known it. It just can't be before AGOT, but rather in early AGOT, because Stannis was still in King's Landing when Robert and his party left for Winterfell.

Archived