The Giant among Princes

Wmarshal

This is a discussion of the larger then life Ser Dunk the Lunk, the man who smashed a prince's face in and still became a kingsguard.

1. If you think he is the ancestor of Brienne(which is everyone and their mother is hard press to deny with Brienne's sweet new shield), how far back, and how do you think he got into the blood line?
  2. Do you think Dunk will forever be a unknight, or one day be a knighted for real?
  3. Which Asoiaf old timer would you to see pop up as young as a pup in the next Hedge Knight stories?
  4. What do you think was Dunk's final act?

1. I have no idea. I don't know who Dunk's parents were, or if he has any bastards or is married before the kingsguard.

2. What?

3. Rickon Stark as a bratty little boy. Same with Tywin Lannister. Maybe even a short story in the Vale with Jon Arryn.

4. Trying to save Egg.

1. Lady Webber as the new addition to the westerlands info shows us she did not marry into Lannisters.

2. I can't decide, either no, or when Aegon tries to make him a kingsguard he refuses and confesses and is then knighted.

3. Old Nan

4. Saving Rhaegars mom/Aerys

Really? I am reading the world book tree, and it shows her name. Are you talking of the uncut verison?

3. I think we'll be seeing more than one. A child Jon Arryn is my bet.

After checking out AWOIAF, Jon Arryn was born ~218 AC and The Hedge Knight took place in 209 AC. The Sworn Sword took place in 211. Perhaps one of the very last Dunk & Egg novellas, something that takes place around 232 right before Aegon ascends the throne, could feature a 14 year-old squire or young knight Jon Arryn. Would be very cool. Or something during the 220s

By known age, the next character we are likely to see is Pycelle (Born 216). Old Nan may very well be older, but we don't have a precise age for her. Although considering that her sons were young enough to fight in Robert's Rebellion and her grandson in the Greyjoy Rebellion, and Hodor is young enough to still be called a stableboy, I doubt she'd be significantly older than Pycelle.

Other possible characters by their age at the time of Summerhall (Again, discounting those of unknown or uncertain age and who are neither listed in the timeline of births or important enough for me to think of looking them up):

Tytos Lannister, 39

Jon Arryn, 34

Jaehaerys Targaryen, 34

Shaera Targaryen, 33

Olenna Redwyne, 31

Jason Lannister, 30

Jeor Mormont, 29

Eldon Estermont, 29

Stevron Frey, 25

Hoster Tully, 24

Barristan Selmy, 22 (Although not in the Kingsguard yet)

Wyman Manderly, 20

Emmon Frey, 19

Brynden Tully, 19

Tywin Lannister, 17

Aerys Targaryen, 16

Kevan Lannister, 16

Genna Lannister, 15

Steffon Baratheon, 14

Rhaella Targaryen, 13 or 14

Doran Martell, 11 or 12

Jared Frey, 11

Aegon Frey, 10

Tygett Lannister, 9

Jorah Mormont, 5

Gerion Lannister, 4

Mace Tyrell, 3

Elia Martell, 2

Oberyn Martell, 1

Rhaegar Targaryen, 0

By known age, the next character we are likely to see is Pycelle (Born 216). Old Nan may very well be older, but we don't have a precise age for her. Although considering that her sons were young enough to fight in Robert's Rebellion and her grandson in the Greyjoy Rebellion, and Hodor is young enough to still be called a stableboy, I doubt she'd be significantly older than Pycelle.

Other possible characters by their age at the time of Summerhall (Again, discounting those of unknown or uncertain age and who are neither listed in the timeline of births or important enough for me to think of looking them up):

Tytos Lannister, 39

Jon Arryn, 34

Jaehaerys Targaryen, 34

Shaera Targaryen, 33

Olenna Redwyne, 31

Jason Lannister, 30

Jeor Mormont, 29

Eldon Estermont, 29

Stevron Frey, 25

Hoster Tully, 24

Barristan Selmy, 22 (Although not in the Kingsguard yet)

Wyman Manderly, 20

Emmon Frey, 19

Brynden Tully, 19

Tywin Lannister, 17

Aerys Targaryen, 16

Kevan Lannister, 16

Genna Lannister, 15

Steffon Baratheon, 14

Rhaella Targaryen, 13 or 14

Doran Martell, 11 or 12

Jared Frey, 11

Aegon Frey, 10

Tygett Lannister, 9

Jorah Mormont, 5

Gerion Lannister, 4

Mace Tyrell, 3

Elia Martell, 2

Oberyn Martell, 1

Rhaegar Targaryen, 0

Great list! I think we should not forget Elia's mom, who was childhood friend of Rhaella.

Out of curiosity, why Summerhall? Has GRRM stated that the last Dunk & Egg will be Summerhall?

I'm just asking because I've always assumed the novellas wouldn't go past Aegon's crowning.

He said we will see Summerhall, and that was the event old Dunk and Egg died.

Archived