Choose your warrior...

Nolan Clegane

This is something that may have been discussed before, but I often wonder, and the thread about Robert v. The Mountain got me thinking: who are some of the battle hardened (or not) warriors that, in everyone's opinions, are just a cut above the rest? The ones that are nearly unstoppable i.e. Sir Arthur Dayne, Baristan, Jamie (with both hands), the Mountain, etc, etc.

Then there are those that are also just as dangerous in other ways. Tyrion, Tywin, Melisandre.

I like to think the best of these dangerous characters, maybe, aren't the best sword fighters or smartest, but have the strongest will to survive. In this vein I'm intrigued by Jon Snow, Arya Stark, and the most human character in the series ImHO(show and book) Sandor Clegane. I honestly believe when it comes to certain people and faced with certain circumstances, the Hound is/could be unstoppable.

Honestly the Hound is somebody that should not be fucked with. As you mentioned, different characters are dangerous in their own unique ways.

In terms of:

Skill with a sword - Jaime (two hands)

Sheer power - The Mountain

All-around ability to kill - Jaqen (maybe Arya in the future)

If we include the use of animals - Dany and Drogon or Robb and Grey Wind

I only included characters that were alive during the series. Some deceased characters we've read about (e.g. Arthur Dayne) would probably find a place somewhere in this list.

Yeah I don't think there is a 'best' fighter. But sandor is quite special in that he's fast, strong and can fight dirty if he wants. Also he has experience and has watched a lot of the other great fighters in his time. I always think Jaime considers him his greatest threat along with the great jon in one of his chapters. Sandors like a badder bigger Bronn.

That being said I think any character could be killed by pure luck or by being naieve or in vipers case to prideful.

And then you have characters like jaqen hygar or other faceless assassins who could kill anyone quite easily or deaths by shadowbaby. Or the others could always come for you.

I would probably pick someone like howland reed who just survives everything. Ideally I would be a shareholder in the iron bank. Seriously, they are going to f##k shit up one of these days for not getting there gold. Probably hire faceless assassins to provide said shit.

I don't think of Mel as human, more like a demon in human skin. If we expand to the non-human, Balarion was about as tough as they come, unlike the Others with dragon glass, that dragon didn't seem to have an Achilles' heel.

If we are limited to human I always read Gregor as pretty hard to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

If he survives this hostage thing with the Yunkees I'll be convinced he has more than 9 lives. The guy just keeps surviving things that should kill him.

That he does, he is a really cool character

Jaqen would be the best if you're not in an actual battle. He's the master of unexpected stealth kills. Or Melisandre with her shadowbabies.

For an actual fight, like the Oberyn vs Gregor duel, the Mountain would be good for his sheer strength and reach, but as Oberyn demonstrated, if you can stay out of his reach you can take him down with a spear, as long as you don't stand where he can grab you and crush your head. Two handed Jaime is considered one of the best swordsman in the kingdom, if not the world, so he would be a good choice.

Archived