The Missing Targaryen/ The Three Heads

B-rad

I truly don't believe Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and I think Martin left us enough evidence to deduce it. First off I feel like it's pretty easy to make the conclusion Rhaegar is Jon's father just from the first book alone however here are some facts. JON LOOKS NOTHING LIKE A TARGARYEN. If you look at the lineage of the Targaryens you'll see that every Targaryen has purple eyes except for Bloodraven and Shiera who shouldn't even count because their eye colors were the result of genetic mutations, In addition Martin made it seem that Stark features are recessive with only one out of 5 Stark children having the Stark features while almost all of the Targaryens have purple eyes and white hair making it very unlikely that Jon would receive all those Stark features while bei the son of a Targaryen. However Jon's eyes are described as dark as is his other features such as hair. Another character who is described to have Dark features is Ashara Dayne and if you read the Dayne lineage purple eyed Daynes are super common especially compared to The Targaryens implying Dayne purple eyes are a recessive trait. So if Ashara is Jon's mother and we are assuming Sean Bean's telling us that Ned isn't Jon's father that leaves two possible candidates for Jon's true father Brandon (who could've impregnated Ashara at KL before he calls out Rhaegar) or Benjen (much less likely though but would follow Jon's storyline being Star Wars like as Marrin had said) this being said though I still believe Rhaegar and Lyanna had a daughter. Where would has this missing Targaryen been all this time? With Howland Reed. If I'm right then we will most likely be introduced to this character with Stannis most likely traveling South to ally with Howland and this would consequently result in Jon being revealed not to be Ned's bastard.

As for the heads of the dragon I have two possible theories. One the main head is Aegon and like Aegon the first he is going to conquer Westeros with two women (Rhaegar's daughter and maybe Arianna) along with a Baratheon bastard who would be Gendry which would explain why Varys would save Gendry. The advantage of being allied with Gendry? The Baratheons are known to be fairly popular (excluding Stannis and more focusing on Renly who was able to get an arm practically overnight) who would help the people who are more familiar with Baratheons and less familiar with Targaryens be more willing to support Aegon. It would also be fun to see how Aegon and Gendry interact.

My other theory is that it would a reverse Aegon wher Dany takes the role of Aegon and Tyrion Targaryen and maybe Victarion or Euron would invade Westeros together.

Bran is the mystery hero, Dany or Argon is the Prince that was promised and Jon is still Azor Ashai.

In addition Martin made it seem that Stark features are recessive with only one out of 5 Stark children having the Stark features while almost all of the Targaryens have purple eyes and white hair making it very unlikely that Jon would receive all those Stark features while bei the son of a Targaryen.

Stark feature are recessive to Tully features... that has nothing to do with Targaryen features.

List of Targs (and Targ Bastards) who didn't look Valyrian:

Baelor Breakspear

Rhaenys Targaryen

BitterSteel

Daeron The Drunkard

Duncan the Small

Rhaenyra's first 3 kids.

Vallar Targaryen

Probably some more I forgot.

Bloodraven's sisters- How do we know that? I don't remember that it was mentioned...

BitterSteel-He had purple eyes

Vaella Targaryen-How do we know that? I don't remember that it was mentioned...

Vallar Targaryen's kids- IIRC they were stillborns and no one mentioned their eyes

Well, we don't know about BR's sisters i will give you that

Bittersteel didn't have Silver hair though.

Since Daeron didn't have silver hair, I assumed she didn't either

I didn't remember this, time to fix the list.

Targaryen features might well have stayed the way that they are for years because they mostly marry family members- ie, people with similar features. It could very well be that Targaryen features are recessive to Stark features for no reason other than that blonde hair and blue (purple in this case) eyes are both recessive traits in our world. I see no reason why it would change in Westeros.

JON LOOKS NOTHING LIKE A TARGARYEN. If you look at the lineage of the Targaryens you'll see that every Targaryen has purple eyes except for Bloodraven and Shiera who shouldn't even count because their eye colors were the result of genetic mutations,

The first post of every R+L=J thread includes a FAQ section and if you look up the current one, you will see you mistake here.

Bittersteel didn't have Silver hair though.-True but you said Valyrian so I thought the eyes becaue the OP was about the eyes

Since Daeron didn't have silver hair, I assumed she didn't either-Maybe she took after her grandfather,grandmother(?_ and we don't know hoy Kiera looked.

Targaryen features might well have stayed the way that they are for years because they mostly marry family members- ie, people with similar features. It could very well be that Targaryen features are recessive to Stark features for no reason other than that blonde hair and blue (purple in this case) eyes are both recessive traits in our world. I see no reason why it would change in Westeros.

True. Funny thing is that as far as we know when a Targ marries outside of the family, that sounds so wrong, except if there is a Velaryon and Hellicent at least one of the children will not look as a Targ.

This is a guess, but perhaps Targaryen's traits seem to be dominant because of inbreeding. Rhaenys looked like her mother (even "smells Dornish"), but I cannot recall Baby Aegon's features.

I am nowhere close to many of you when it comes to this fandom, having only read the books once, two years ago. But two things are worth remembering:

1) Genetics in ASOIAF are different. An exemple can be the Tully's red hair being dominant in the books to Stark's brown.

2) It's a story, and this is supposed to be a mystery. Having Jon show purple eyes and silverly hair since the beggining is a slap in the readers' faces.

Stark feature are recessive to Tully features... that has nothing to do with Targaryen features.

Not really. Using Tully features seen in the Stark children is a brilliant way to enhance the story in 2 ways:

1. It sets Jon further apart, and the more that Martin sets Jon apart from his other siblings, the more mysterious his true parentage becomes.

2. It establishes Catelyn's enmity towards Jon.

I really don't think that genetics played a big role. More likely that Martin used it because it works really well to tie some cool things together.

From where this reference regarding Star Wars comes from?

If this analogy to Star Wars is valid, the most correct would be to say that Lyanna had twins: Allyria and Jon. So, Leia grew up as a princess, raised by adoptive parents, as Allyria Dayne, and Luke grew up with his uncle, like Jon. Ned could not return with two children without provoke too many questions, especially if one of the kids had purple eyes and the other doesn't. So Ned Stark chose the child with Stark features and leaves the other with House Dayne, who had just lost Arthur and Ashara. If Lyanna had a daughter, the only one that makes any sense is Allyria Dayne. You could even compare House Dayne's bond with the defeated Targaryen regime with the Organas's bond with the destroyed Republic.

Not really. Using Tully features seen in the Stark children is a brilliant way to enhance the story in 2 ways:

1. It sets Jon further apart, and the more that Martin sets Jon apart from his other siblings, the more mysterious his true parentage becomes.

I really don't think that genetics played a big role. More likely that Martin used it because it works really well to tie some cool things together.

I agree there is more to this than just genetics, but the OP tries to make the correlation that because the Stark features are recessive to Tully ones then the Stark features would be recessive to Targaryen ones as well.

There is not a single piece of evidence that is true.

Archived