(Spoilers All) My Take on Summerhall

myufa

(Lowers tinfoil onto head)

So what we know is at Summerhall, Aegon V and his crew tried to hatch a dragon's egg. This, most likely, involved sorcery, fire, and stuff and there was even a child of the forest there(Ghost of High Heart. Here's why I think this event is much more than it seems: it could have started the rebirth of the Others and could also show that dragons eggs have multiple uses. First off, why would the Others come back around the beginning of the main series? The dragons aren't born yet so we know that's not the reason. It seems reasonable that they reawakened after Summerhall and have man developing their army since. But what was so significant about Summerhall? Well a dragon was almost born and they may have awoken in reaction to that. The AA prophecy says that when the long night comes dragons will be reborn. Well dragons were almost born so the Others rose in anticipation of people finally getting it right and hatching an egg.

Secondly, what happened at Summerhall? Why did all these people suddenly burn within this castle? Well il just jump right to it: the dragon egg exploded. They messed up their magic and instead of turning the egg into a dragon they made it release all of its power. Furthermore, if dragon eggs can be used in different ways, maybe one could be used by the Others, or to awaken a kraken. After all there's been so much mention of krakens up until this point that one may very well show up.

What do you guys think?

I've been wondering if Summerhall had an effect on the Others as well, but could never come up with enough clues to start a topic. I'm eager to see what happened that night.

Well il just jump right to it: the dragon egg exploded. They messed up their magic and instead of turning the egg into a dragon they made it release all of its power. Furthermore, if dragon eggs can be used in different ways, maybe one could be used by the Others, or to awaken a kraken. After all there's been so much mention of krakens up until this point that one may very well show up.

What do you guys think?

Exploded? That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure how it could wake krakens, but if so, Euron losing patience and dumping his dragon egg into the sea could have some significance in the story.

The problem is that the dragons had only been *extinct* for little more than a century at that time. So why would this be linked to the Others? :)

According to Ser Arlan, the extinction of the dragons did have an effect on the seasons.

The Hedge Knight:

Dunk had heard the story half a hundred times, how Ser Arlan had been just a little boy when his grandfather had taken him to King's Landing, and how they'd seen the last dragon there the year before it died. She'd been a green female, small and stunted, her wings withered. None of her eggs had ever hatched. "Some say King Aegon poisoned her," the old man would tell. "The third Aegon that would be, not King Daeron's father, but the one they named Dragonbane, or Aegon the Unlucky. He was afraid of dragons, for he'd seen his uncle's beast devour his own mother. The summers have been shorter since the last dragon died, and the winters longer and crueler."

Well, we know that Crastor has been sacrificing his sons for a long time, it is my opinion that the Others use these babies as sacrifices in order to gain the power to raise the dead. We also know that Crastor was not the only person to do this. Another thing we know is that the long night is coming, but we cannot say for sure whether the Others are bringing it or are returning because of it.

I do not think Summerhall woke the others, perhaps Hardhome did.

Isobel, do you think it is more likely that Euron actually wasted a dragon egg, or that he paid the FM with it?

Well, we know that Crastor has been sacrificing his sons for a long time, it is my opinion that the Others use these babies as sacrifices in order to gain the power to raise the dead. We also know that Crastor was not the only person to do this. Another thing we know is that the long night is coming, but we cannot say for sure whether the Others are bringing it or are returning because of it.

I do not think Summerhall woke the others, perhaps Hardhome did.

Isobel, do you think it is more likely that Euron actually wasted a dragon egg, or that he paid the FM with it?

I think he wasted it. I'm not sure we he'd need to lie about that. If he didn't want suspicion drawn to him that he killed Balon, then he need not mention the dragon egg at all.

GRRM has said something dark and mysterious happened at summerhall that we don't know about, but he knows and it will be revealed later.

It might be in Dunk and egg but this seems more ASOIAF.

But the others rise happened when fire magic crapped out. Both in Valyria and Targaryens dragons. There is a balance needed between fire and ice magic and ice has gained far to much power, therefore over taken fire.

It takes time to raise an army of the undead, and possibly more, ice dragons (:dunno:), that's why their appearing late.

I like the Dragon egg exploding idea.

Archived