Your Westerosi beliefs? (Poll)

Night's Princess

That's a tough one...

I find the Faith of the Seven really boring, so I'd pass on that. Drowned God seems useless unless you're in and around water a whole lot, which I wouldn't be. Storm God sounds cool, but there's not a whole lotta info on 'em. Many-Faced God's interesting, but worshipping death sounds a bit dark and weird. It basically comes down to R'hllor and le Old Gods. They're both really interesting, I really like the latter's pagan qualities, but R'hllorism seems a bit more useful and less selective. The Old Gods are cool and all, but the religion itself is kinda limited geographically. Plus, unless you're born a skinchanger or greenseer, you probably wont be doing a whole lotta special things associated with the Old Gods. R'hllorism on the other hand is associated with more diverse magic, and if someone or something is truly listening and helping it's easier to take it/him/her anywhere you go and still have said being working as intended. The religion of the Red God isn't all that dark on its own, some followers just make it that way. I suppose it's a bit tough to confirm which trick comes from the religion and which one is just magic learned elsewhere, but assuming all the followers displayed spells connected with R'hllor in some way, shape or form, I think it'd be safe to say you can have sweet results (Thoros and his ressurections) without becoming a complete twat.

If smallfolk, i'd believe in whatever god system the petty lord above me did.

If petty lord or landed knight, i'd believe in whatever god system the Lord above me did.

If Lord, I'd believe in whatever god system the Great Lord above me did.

If King, I'd believe in whatever god system my father did.

Nymeria, who first unified Dorne, was a woman. She was also one of the best strategic military minds of her era, if not THE best.

As for on-the-ground combat, two of Oberyn's daughters are trained in combat.

Though I will admit that these cases are probably exceptions.

Did you read the Arianne gift chapter? Elia Sand faces really, really stiff resistance. On the same level as Brienne and worse.

Obara Sand hints at a similar backstory. And they have Oberyn for a father and the Prince and future Princess of Dorne backing them up.

I would worship the Seven. Here's why:

The main reason is that, with the exception of the Old Gods, the other ones listed are flat out too cruel. The Red God and the Drowned God both endorse slavery (I consider Thralls to be Slaves), murder, rape (the Red Temples have sex slaves), and human sacrifice (which the Old Gods ALSO demand).

The Many-Faced God is a fucked up nightmare, and the Faceless Men are clearly a cult ("Arya, if you want to be one of us you must surrender all your earthly possessions","We encourage people to kill themselves, and we make a profit by digging through their pockets for coins", "We murder people in cold blood in exchange for coin", "We once [according to dubious origin legend] caused the death of billions by sabotaging the geothermal plants in Old Valyria").

The second reason is that the Seven seem to have the most morals. The Seven are Fair Gods AND Kind Gods. If you are a good person, when you die you can go to one of the Seven Heavens. If you eat people and wear their skins as coats, you will get sent to one of the Seven Hells.

The Old Gods spread your soul amongst the rocks and trees regardless if you are Eddard or Ramsay. The Drowned God lets you feast in his watery halls even if you murdered a kindly old fisherman, ESPECIALLY if you murdered a kindly old fisherman.

The Faith of the Seven explicitly condemns rape, murder, slavery, and prostitution as wicked. And they don't ask for human sacrifice in return. The faith of the Seven even has two holy orders that act similar to UN Peacekeepers, preventing rape and hunting down Bloody Mummers.

Finally, the Faith of the Seven is an ORGANIZED religion. The Faith of the Old Gods is not codified, it is just an animistic folklore which is loosely held together. The closest thing they had to a clergy (Greenseers) has long since died out.

The Seven are the way to go.

Unless you're gay...

Unless you're gay...

... and live outside of Dorne. The Dornish Interpretation of the faith is pretty accepting of homosexuals. If Loras was a Martell instead of a Tyrell than he could have been utterly open and honest about his orientation.

There is no indication that homosexuals are tolerated by the other faiths listed (the exception being the Old Gods, which as previously stated have no reward or punishment for decisions made in life). Homosexuals in the Iron Islands are probably drowned, and ones worshipping the Red God are probably burned.

Nobody worships The Great Other ? who is the opposing god of R'hllor.

You gotta love a god whose name must not be spoken !

Also it might turn out that R'hllor is the worse one of the two, since the Great Other's champions include

- Bran

- as well as "a thousand eyes" = weir wood trees, which are not evil.

I would go with the Great Other :) hoping the the image of "god of darkness" is just R'hllor propaganda.

Archived